Aubrey's Last Year? | The Boneyard

Aubrey's Last Year?

PvP

Reaction Score
A number of people, notably Geno, have referred to this year as Aubrey's last but I would think that she has one year of eligibility left after this year since she would qualify for a COVID year exemption. Of course Geno knows everything far better than me but can someone explain my error? Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part because I just love everything she brings to the program but I am sure she has only played in 4 different seasons.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
She has one year of eligibility left but I believe it will be her 6th and final year to complete her eligibility.

Check out this thread posted by @BRS24 , it's quite informative.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought Geno meant that she had intended to enter the draft at the end of this year. It may not have been an eligibility reflection.

Reaction Score
Yeah she has one more year left if she wants it, and if the injury is severe it probably makes sense to use it because she wouldn't be playing anywhere for a while anyway, and recovery will be much more forgiving in college than in the pros.

Reaction Score
Yeah she has one more year left if she wants it, and if the injury is severe it probably makes sense to use it because she wouldn't be playing anywhere for a while anyway, and recovery will be much more forgiving in college than in the pros.
If she needs surgery, she would very likely miss this summer's WNBA season, and possibly an overseas pro season's start. Rehabbing at UConn - with the school's medical and training support - would be a fine option to consider. I imagine Geno would be glad to have her join the team mid-season, say for the 2nd semester.

Reaction Score
Theoretically everyone could be back.
That's true, and we would be one over the limit at 16 if they did. Somebody that has eligibility left needs to leave just to reach the limit. Two have to depart to have one spot available for Strong, Rodriquez, or a portal addition, and three would have to depart for us to add a high school recruit like Strong or Rodriquez and a player from the portal.

I can see the logic for Aubrey returning from her standpoint and the team's, but to a certain extent if she came back it might be at the expense of a four year addition for a half year of her contribution. The Covid rule has created a nightmare for some programs but the math is what it is.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
That's true, and we would be one over the limit at 16 if they did. Somebody that has eligibility left needs to leave just to reach the limit. Two have to depart to have one spot available for Strong, Rodriquez, or a portal addition, and three would have to depart for us to add a high school recruit like Strong or Rodriquez and a player from the portal.

I can see the logic for Aubrey returning from her standpoint and the team's, but to a certain extent if she came back it might be at the expense of a four year addition for a half year of her contribution. The Covid rule has created a nightmare for some programs but the math is what it is.
If a player is using their covid year, does their scholarship still count against the team's count.
I have seen it posted both yes and no.

Reaction Score
Can't she can stay on the roster and pay her own way. Then a scholarship would be open.

Reaction Score
Agreed, and all we have to do is look at Lou to see how hard it is to recover in WNBA and always the chance a team will drop you.

Reaction Score
If a player is using their covid year, does their scholarship still count against the team's count.
I have seen it posted both yes and no.
Yes, it counts. It did not count the first year the rule was in place, but it has counted every year since then.

Reaction Score

Note that she would need an NCAA waiver to play this extra year, but it is likely that would happen.

Reaction Score
Note that she would need an NCAA waiver to play this extra year, but it is likely that would happen.
But aren't these self-apply waivers meaning the schools can just grant the extra year and notify the NCAA that's what they are doing? IOW it's more of a notification process on the school's part versus a full fledged formal application to be granted or rejected by the NCAA.

Reaction Score
But aren't these self-apply waivers meaning the schools can just grant the extra year and notify the NCAA that's what they are doing? IOW it's more of a notification process on the school's part versus a full fledged formal application to be granted or rejected by the NCAA.

Not quite that simple. While the NCAA has started granting a 6th year fairly routinely, there have been a couple of instances in the past year where the schools application was denied, and the player did not get permission to play a 6th year.

Reaction Score
If she needs surgery, she would very likely miss this summer's WNBA season, and possibly an overseas pro season's start. Rehabbing at UConn - with the school's medical and training support - would be a fine option to consider. I imagine Geno would be glad to have her join the team mid-season, say for the 2nd semester.
Well IF it's an ACL and IF she gets an operation done asap, she could be back in full force by October 2024, so not even 2nd semester. IF AND IF AND IF...

Reaction Score

IMO opinion, AE and Nika will leave as both are ready to play professionally either in the W, overseas, or both. I think Paige will leave too unless she really just wants to play with Azzi next season to go for a natty!! So, we should have at least 2, but as much as 4 scholarships available (if Aubrey leaves too, because similar to Morgan Tuck, she has a small window of healthy seasons left to play).

Reaction Score
Paige, while non-committal, has repeatedly talked of her 'love' for the college game/experience. I strongly suspect she'll be back next year.

AE on the other hand, isn't making the NIL dollars Paige has been blessed with and has more motivation to pursue the WNBA given the prospect of being an early draftee. I think she'll leave along with Nika, who really doesn't benefit staying an extra year either.

All speculation - time will tell

Reaction Score
Agreed, and all we have to do is look at Lou to see how hard it is to recover in WNBA and always the chance a team will drop you.

LLS or KLS?

LLS with surgery just before start of WNBA regular season after making the Wings roster in 2023? Wings kept her on roster as far as I remember. Still on the roster on WNBA website.

KLS with surgery because of shredded tendons while a junior at UConn and then the 4 WNBA teams she has since played for?

Thanks for clarification.

Reaction Score
IMO opinion, AE and Nika will leave as both are ready to play professionally either in the W, overseas, or both. I think Paige will leave too unless she really just wants to play with Azzi next season to go for a natty!! So, we should have at least 2, but as much as 4 scholarships available (if Aubrey leaves too, because similar to Morgan Tuck, she has a small window of healthy seasons left to play).
AE on the other hand, isn't making the NIL dollars Paige has been blessed with and has more motivation to pursue the WNBA given the prospect of being an early draftee. I think she'll leave along with Nika, who really doesn't benefit staying an extra year either.
I agree with both of you. Well reasoned.

Personally, I suspect Paige will stay one more year in order to have a chance to play a full season with Azzi. But as I've watched this season unfold, I'm less confident about this. In part, it's because of the expression of grim determination that occasionally flashes across Paige's face -- that's the look of a pro. And I'm less certain what conclusion she'll draw if -- as we all must suspect -- an NC is out of reach this season. She might stay just to have another, better shot at the title. Or she may say it isn't worth it. And strangely, it wouldn't surprise me if she confers with Caitlin about this. Apart from the interest in BB, college can be a tedious affair if there's not also an intellectual interest keeping you there.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I agree with both of you. Well reasoned.

Personally, I suspect Paige will stay one more year in order to have a chance to play a full season with Azzi. But as I've watched this season unfold, I'm less confident about this. In part, it's because of the expression of grim determination that occasionally flashes across Paige's face -- that's the look of a pro. And I'm less certain what conclusion she'll draw if -- as we all must suspect -- an NC is out of reach this season. She might stay just to have another, better shot at the title. Or she may say it isn't worth it. And strangely, it wouldn't surprise me if she confers with Caitlin about this. Apart from the interest in BB, college can be a tedious affair if there's not also an intellectual interest keeping you there.
Why would she confer with Caitlin about the possibilities of a NC, because Caitlin has won so many?

Reaction Score
Why would she confer with Caitlin about the possibilities of a NC, because Caitlin has won so many?
You don't think it makes any sense for them to consult each other about entering the draft? Why not? They are friends, I gather, and will be in a similar position.

Note, I said similar, not identical.
Also, note, I said "it wouldn't surprise me," not "they must confer."

Centerstream

Reaction Score
You don't think it makes any sense for them to consult each other about entering the draft? Why not? They are friends, I gather, and will be in a similar position.

Note, I said similar, not identical.
Also, note, I said "it wouldn't surprise me," not "they must confer."
I don't see why they would confer. I believe that Paige would consult with her parents and her UConn coaches, if she felt the need to consult with anyone. One of Paige's goals is to be in the WNBA. She will reach that goal, and she has no input on who she is drafted by unless, like some previous athletes, states teams that she will not sign with. But I truly believe Paige would never do that.
And I understand that you are stating your opinion and you are entitled to it 100%. Just like I am in replying to your post.

Reaction Score
And I understand that you are stating your opinion and you are entitled to it 100%. Just like I am in replying to your post.
Sorry for misreading your reply, which initially struck me as dismissive.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility merely because I gather that they communicate quite a bit on social media. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the two of them talked about it with Brink. They are all friends and their fates seem linked together in this year's draft. And by talk, I mean if one of them decided not to enter the draft, they may well want to tell friends whom their decision might impact about it. I also wouldn't be surprised if she discussed it with Aaliyah and Aubrey.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Sorry for misreading your reply, which initially struck me as dismissive.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility merely because I gather that they communicate quite a bit on social media. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the two of them talked about it with Brink. They are all friends and their fates seem linked together in this year's draft. And by talk, I mean if one of them decided not to enter the draft, they may well want to tell friends whom their decision might impact about it. I also wouldn't be surprised if she discussed it with Aaliyah and Aubrey.
I was not being dismissive, so I apologize for misleading you.
I guess my problem is that I have a different definition of conferring. IMO, there is a big difference between conferring with someone and discussing with someone. And I again apologize for me actually changing your "conferring" to my use of "consulting". They mean the same thing to me.
I am ending my posts on this thread seeing that it has swerved well away from the original post, Aubrey.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Per Geno’s discussion with the press crew today, Aubrey asked him if she still has another year, because she did not know. Geno advised her that she did. Nothing definitive at this point, but obviously Aubrey is thinking about it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom