Aubrey Griffin to UCONN!!!!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Aubrey Griffin to UCONN!!!!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For those who don't venture into the large 19-20 recruiting thread, here is a long video package from Ossining's win in the sectional title game. Griffin is #44 in White.

Nice screen capture of the scoreboard

upload_2018-9-27_16-38-11.png

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I can understand your comments as a Bulls Fan; you don't want UConn to go there. If you look at Aubrey you see a ranking that is nonrepresentative of her abilities. It happens to knee injury kids. We recently had one here: let me see, who was that. Drafted to WNBA in 6th or 7th place? Gabby something or other. But this recruit has much more polished offensive skills than Gabby did.

Here, read this:

UConn women land first recruit of Class of 2019

"She’s just an extremely gifted kid,” Ricci said. “She has a great work ethic, a huge heart, and she’s just really modest. You have no idea how good she is.”

Ricci believes that had Griffin not torn her ACL, causing her to miss her entire sophomore season, she might’ve committed even sooner. She showcased some of her potential in May, when she made the final cut for the USA Basketball U-17 team as a walk-on.

“I think if she never tore her ACL,” Ricci said, “this would’ve happened a long time ago. She definitely would’ve been invited to USA Basketball and she probably would’ve made it.”

Reaction Score

Griffin would be considered a top 20 player if not for the time she missed due to her ACL surgery..............she should be a very valuable member of the team...............that said the other three recruits may possibly have a higher impact should they pick UConn

Reaction Score
Griffin would be considered a top 20 player if not for the time she missed due to her ACL surgery....she should be a very valuable member of the team.....that said the other three recruits may possibly have a higher impact should they pick UConn

Don't know how good she is going to be at the next level, but for a wing/shooter (if that's what she is), Griffin seems to have a pretty low release of her shot. In the highlight of the game posted above, she seems to score more in driving/slashing to the basket than shooting from outside. Mikayla Coombs's high school highlights look a little bit like that from what I remember, and Coombs did not have much luck doing the same thing at this level, so far.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Don't know how good she is going to be at the next level, but for a wing/shooter (if that's what she is), Griffin seems to have a pretty low release of her shot. In the highlight of the game posted above, she seems to score more in driving/slashing to the basket than shooting from outside. Mikayla Coombs's high school highlights look a little bit like that from what I remember, and Coombs did not have much luck doing the same thing at this level, so far.

Griffin is indeed a driver and slasher, and has also shown the ability and inclination to post-up smaller guards/wings. I think moving w/out the ball will be a strength and she's dangerous in transition. Outside shot still needs work but she's only been playing basketball about five years.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UConn women land first recruit of Class of 2019

“This was this kid’s dream since she was a little kid,” her high school coach, Dan Ricci, said. “It was a tough decision because Louisville was very high on her list and she loved everything about Louisville. It just came down to, I believe, staying home and playing at right now the mecca of women’s basketball.”

Reaction Score

I expect big things from Ms Griffin but only time will tell PV.............if Coombs recovers from her health issues I expect her to improve her play mightily

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
From the article linked by @RockyMTblue2

"While Griffin was recovering from her ACL injury, she spent every day at practice with her team, Ricci [her HS coach] said. “I knew it was only going to make me stronger so I didn’t have any negative thoughts like, ‘Oh, I’m not going to come back,’” Griffin said. “I just stayed positive. I was focusing on just encouraging my team and giving them advice. Even though I wasn’t able to play, I was still able to help them.”

Griffin’s coach described her as a great teammate, someone other players love to be around. She’s modest and selfless, Ricci said, and sometimes that’s to her detriment.“She may need to be more selfish,” Ricci said
."

This is an incredible part of her story and speaks volumes about her as a person and a teammate. I bet it's one of the major reasons the staff liked her so much. A humble kid who is uber-talented, just scratching the surface of what she can do, and IMHO when all is said and done, she will be one of the top 10-15 kids in her class.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Griffin is indeed a driver and slasher, and has also shown the ability and inclination to post-up smaller guards/wings. I think moving w/out the ball will be a strength and she's dangerous in transition. Outside shot still needs work but she's only been playing basketball about five years.

First and foremost: Congrats to UConn fans for getting your first 2019 commit. Looks like you got yourself a player who is only getting better.

SluConn's analysis is interesting. I was thinking that sounds like another player that's currently on the Huskies, so I went to Hoopgurlz just to check some pocket evaluations. Take a look see at Hoopgurlz comments from Mr. Olson:

Megan Walker
"Athletic perimeter performer attacks rim, finishes plays, brings results; manufactures, mid-range game producer, delivers under pressure; the elite prospect in the class of 2017." (Olson)

Aubrey Griffin
"Athletic perimeter prospect with versatility; quick leaper, active on glass; versatile defender; mid-range game creator, exploits mismatches and delivers; rebounds, handles and attacks coast-to-coast; a stock-riser in the class of 2019." (Olson)

If my addition is somewhat correct, Ms. Walker will be a junior when Ms. Griffin comes aboard. Sounds like UConn will be very well set at that wing/big guard position.

Once again, congrats.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
per video she scored 27 points against Georgetown Prep.....pretty good Prep is an all-boys school

I like her step back move and her shot. She runs the floor well. She can score!!! Same size ball, same size court. I'm sure she'll make the necessary adjustments to play at the next level. Most of the great HS players do. Why should Aubrey be any different? If she has any deficiencies, her position coach will correct them. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
First and foremost: Congrats to UConn fans for getting your first 2019 commit. Looks like you got yourself a player who is only getting better.

SluConn's analysis is interesting. I was thinking that sounds like another player that's currently on the Huskies, so I went to Hoopgurlz just to check some pocket evaluations. Take a look see at Hoopgurlz comments from Mr. Olson:

Megan Walker
"Athletic perimeter performer attacks rim, finishes plays, brings results; manufactures, mid-range game producer, delivers under pressure; the elite prospect in the class of 2017." (Olson)

Aubrey Griffin
"Athletic perimeter prospect with versatility; quick leaper, active on glass; versatile defender; mid-range game creator, exploits mismatches and delivers; rebounds, handles and attacks coast-to-coast; a stock-riser in the class of 2019." (Olson)

If my addition is somewhat correct, Ms. Walker will be a junior when Ms. Griffin comes aboard. Sounds like UConn will be very well set at that wing/big guard position.

Once again, congrats.

very sporting of you Dillon........................I look forward to a few additional notes of this kind from you when the other three players join the Huskies!!!...........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Will all those who are stepping back please identified themselves. Remember, Geno has said very recently we have needs everywhere. Me, I'm staying near the edge.

Meanwhile, a certain person's stutter may be active today. Just kidding Jeff.

For me now the burning issue is does Aubrey's bun meet CD's dimension standards?

View attachment 34700
Does anyone know if she is considered a future super star? Is it far too early to know anything?

I know she is ranked #33 but I don't believe that has a lot of meaning. Obviously, the UCONN staff believes she is the type of player UCONN wants and helps to thrive. And that is always a major positive. But Ossining HS has not been giving birth to super players who attend UConn.

Chong was good, but not great, and didn't contribute mightily until her senior season. In my view, she was over-rated as a high school player ( despite her mind-blowing scoring statistics and many championship rings ), although she became a great teammate and developed into a fine and admirable individual. She also made the WNBA so her skills grew considerably during her tenure at UCONN.

The other Ossining graduate who signed with us bailed out, as I recall. Possibly there were two of them.

In any case, what is known about Aubrey?

It is always wonderful news when any UCONN recruit feels that UCONN is for her. Welcome to the fold, Audrey.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Rankings can be very deceiving. You don't see what the rest of us do because all you see is her ranking. Look beyond that, and you'll see what the rest of us do.

You'll see all of the intangibles, her skill set, her BB IQ, her wanting to be a Husky from childhood, and realizing her dream. Look at her record (wins/points scored). She can put the ball in the basket. In short, shes a BALLA!!! It's not too far fetched to think that she may be turn out to be a better player by the end of her senior year than she is projected to be. She could be a dark horse. Not saying she WILL be, but that she could be. She's 6'1, so she got some size.

She will have access to a private skills coach (or work out with her father) in the summer (like Napheesa does) to hone and improve her skill set because her father is a former NBA player, and currently an assistant coach with Minnesota.

You'll see that she is a great (unselfish) and very supportive teammate. Things that don't show up in the box score. We don't care what her "ranking" is. Here's the most important thing you need to know, In Geno we trust!!! If he likes her, we like her!! Savvy? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
If I recall(I am old so forgive me)Ms.Dolson was number 33 in her ranking, and I think she did pretty good at Connecticut. It's not the ranking number, it's the talent times the heart and desire to be above the crowd.

Reaction Score
TO ALL YARDERS: Several days ago there were strong rumors from Yarders in the know saying that we had a "silent verbal." Is this the player, or is it someone else??? Many thanks to all for answers on this
I have no inside knowledge, nor did I have any special access to rumors about a secret commit, but I just assumed it was one of the 3 highly-ranked players we're after. Griffin was a slam dunk all along - she wasn't that "silent" about it. I doubt if there's anyone who gave her a 1% chance of going anywhere else after she got her offer.

Reaction Score
I have no inside knowledge, nor did I have any special access to rumors about a secret commit, but I just assumed it was one of the 3 highly-ranked players we're after. Griffin was a slam dunk all along - she wasn't that "silent" about it. I doubt if there's anyone who gave her a 1% chance of going anywhere else after she got her offer.

I did..........she made it very clear the she was really impressed with the Louisville program............UConn won out in the end but it was a lot closer then 1%..........

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
This is better than the 2 factorial thread.
I was looking for that thread not long ago. Always good to brush up on one's math skills during the off season! ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

You never know until they play in Div I. Meg's up and down year proves that. Those HS films are a little hard to interpret. A low release point can be fixed if she has one. As to her position, rating services are in conflict: forward or combo guard. Also, what we really love here, a height issue: conflict between 6 and 6' 1'. :)

Reaction Score
Darn you, Milford. This "silent verbal" nonsense keeps rising from the dead like some literary Lazarus. A pox on your oxymoron.. Winlots, you have to take this up with our pal Milford when he gets back from Spain!

BAMA: Thank you. I see you like winners too. But, " literary Lazarus??" My pals from Bama in college didn't talk like that. Somethin wrong with y'all?....(using the singular here as you know). And, hey, Milford is still on here....let's get rid of the suspense!

Reaction Score

J66: appreciate your input, though it makes my think she was the mystery "silent." And that is disappointing
Always enjoy your stuff here very much, nonetheless.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom