Assuming Sherriffs is medically cleared for Temple... | The Boneyard

Assuming Sherriffs is medically cleared for Temple...

Assuming Sherriffs is medically cleared for Temple should he play?

• Yes. If the medical staff clears him, he's good to go.

Votes: 72 66.1%
  • No. We're bowl eligible, why risk losing him for the bowl game?

Votes: 37 33.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm going with no. He definitely was concussed. Why take a risk with the kid's health? He's the best QB we've seen in quite a while.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Also voting no. I have no idea how many concussions BS has had in his life but, assuming this is his first, his risk of additional concussions are now greater. He's been a bit reckless with his running (I mean, he hardly ever slides...which is ironic that he got hurt on a dirty play that he was sliding), and I'd rather not take the chance of him getting a second concussion before our bowl game...even if it means losing the game against Temple. I want him healthy for the bowl game and going into 2016. We will need him more in our future.

Reaction Score
This is a medical question. If his risk of concussion is what it is, but gets no better if he sits out Temple or even the season, than if he's ready to go and wants to go you play him. But I agree with the underlying point -- if there is any long term benefit of giving him more time to recover, you do not play him against Temple. And you evaluate the bowl game two weeks before.

Reaction Score
Yeah frankly this is beyond my scope of knowledge. I don't want to say the Temple game is house money, but the Temple game is house money.

Reaction Score
If there's no medical upside to sitting an extra week or 2, then play him at temple.

If there's a chance that he could help his long-term prognosis by sitting a couple extra weeks (assuming next week, and 2-3 more before a bowl), then you have to sit him for his health, and the long term health of the QB position at UCONN. The last thing we need is another Cochran situation blowing up another whole season (anyone who thinks the loss of CC didn't irreparably damage the 2014 season is nuts).

If he significantly helps his prognosis by not playing until next season, then so be it. I would rather go 6-7 this season (still better than we expected), and have an FBS level starting QB for the start of the 2016 season, and beyond.

It really all depends on what the doctors say.

C

Chief00

Today's football culture would to sit him - sliding does put you at the mercy of the defense and when they behave poorly you pay a steep price.

Reaction Score
If there is any possible upside to this, it's that BS will probably try harder to stay in the pocket and throw the ball, and if he has to take off, he will do it with slightly less reckless abandon - i hope. He needs to take care of his body out there.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
As HBCD has already stated, the medical staff will make the call. If they clear him to play then he should play, it's not like we'd be saving him for a four-game playoff run.

Reaction Score
Hard to say, but his health obviously comes first. If he played at all next week it should only be sparingly. Leave it up to the doctors.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
He was knocked out cold. I doubt he is cleared.
Based on what I saw yesterday, I don't think so either. My point is that, if the medical staff clears him, then there is no reason not to play him. No need to manufacture second-guessing opportunities. In this day and age, the coach doesn't get to make medical risk assessments.

Reaction Score
I agree. Weird question. If he's medicslly clear to go, he goes. If there is a question about the mefical clearing process, that's different. Giben recent history, there is plenty of evidence to suggest that uconn is going to err on thevdidevof caution and be conservativevwith recomme dations medically around head injury. No reason to ghink this will be different, and it shouldn't be.

Doc says you can play, you play.

Reaction Score
I heard the NFL concussion expert describing the concussion protocol on ESPN radio a couple of months ago. It's pretty extensive and proceeds over time. It measures lots of thing's besides "I feel dizzy" or "I've got a headache". Things like visual acuity and muscle strength (believe it or not muscle strength is affected). Every player has a pre-season baseline to measure against. So yeah, it's more than guess-work.

Reaction Score
Either way I wouldn't be surprised to see some wildcat looks with Anderson to take pressure off either Boyle or a wounded Shirreffs. I was too busy watching Houston celebrate the TD that clearly was gonna called back to see how messed up Bryant was after the hit. Arms gone stiff and hands folded. Kid was unconscious for at least a few seconds. He looked completely out of it on the sidelines. Apparently he was lobbying to go back in. I'm amazed he even remembered he was playing football.

Reaction Score
Yeah frankly this is beyond my scope of knowledge. I don't want to say the Temple game is house money, but the Temple game is house money.
Based on their performance against a few most recent opponents, one has to think this game is surely winnable.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Based on their performance against a few most recent opponents, one has to think this game is surely winnable.
They looked pretty good against Memphis and I think matchup wise are a little tougher because they do most of the same things we want to do; they're going to be harder to run on.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Taking this on a bit of a tangent, QB depth across the country will become even more important as these concussion decisions become medical decisions and standardized across the NCAA.

The rules will influence how coaches recruit and how they divide up snaps during the week.

Reaction Score
They looked pretty good against Memphis and I think matchup wise are a little tougher because they do most of the same things we want to do; they're going to be harder to run on.
Agreed there. And on the road so should be tougher. Just the optimism within me. Hoping to ride the 3 game winning streak to new heights!

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Agreed there. And on the road so should be tougher. Just the optimism within me. Hoping to ride the 3 game winning streak to new heights!
hopefully we're close to the point where they're all winnable; just some more than others.

Reaction Score
Either way I wouldn't be surprised to see some wildcat looks with Anderson to take pressure off either Boyle or a wounded Shirreffs. I was too busy watching Houston celebrate the TD that clearly was gonna called back to see how messed up Bryant was after the hit. Arms gone stiff and hands folded. Kid was unconscious for at least a few seconds. He looked completely out of it on the sidelines. Apparently he was lobbying to go back in. I'm amazed he even remembered he was playing football.

I think it was a game at Xavier in Middletown when one of my teammates got clocked pretty badly. The coach asked him what day it was. As the player hesitated and looked dazed Coach started to walk away and said "You're done for the game". My teammate looked around a bit and then said, "Hey Coach, we're playing a game so it must be Saturday." He looked proud of himself for figuring it out, but it was not enough to convince Coach that he was OK.

Reaction Score
I'm going with no. He definitely was concussed. Why take a risk with the kid's health? He's the best QB we've seen in quite a while.

Voting NO!! Lets see more of the Boyle/Anderson QB tricks. That and keep Bryan healthy for the bowl game. Since we are going bowling, why risk injuries...

Reaction Score

Voting NO!! Lets see more of the Boyle/Anderson QB tricks. That and keep Bryan healthy for the bowl game. Since we are going bowling, why risk injuries...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree. Weird question. If he's medicslly clear to go, he goes. If there is a question about the mefical clearing process, that's different. Giben recent history, there is plenty of evidence to suggest that uconn is going to err on thevdidevof caution and be conservativevwith recomme dations medically around head injury. No reason to ghink this will be different, and it shouldn't be.

Doc says you can play, you play.
I think you may be concussed Carl. ;)

Reaction Score
He was knocked out cold. I doubt he is cleared.

Almost every parent would err on the side of caustion. Even if he is cleared and deemed 100%, aside from his health, (which trumps all), should he receive a heavy blow to the head and at worst get injured the administration and coaching staff will get hammered.

We all watched Casey Cochran's career end due to concussions, the concussion bill in Hartford and all that. My guess is that regardless of be medically cleared, Bryant Sherriff's won't play against Temple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom