Assists to Turnovers | The Boneyard

Assists to Turnovers

Reaction Score
FYI, Villanova is tops in the US with a 518 to 316 assists to turnover. UConn is well down the list with 581 assists to 517 turnovers. Nika leads the team with 3.4 turnovers per game. With 31 games played, an average of 19 turnovers per game will likely set a new UConn women's basketball record. For what it's worth, this means, Villanova has the ball over 6.4 times a game more than UConn.

Reaction Score
FYI, Villanova is tops in the US with a 518 to 316 assists to turnover. UConn is well down the list with 581 assists to 517 turnovers. Nika leads the team with 3.4 turnovers per game. With 31 games played, an average of 19 turnovers per game will likely set a new UConn women's basketball record. For what it's worth, this means, Villanova has the ball over 6.4 times a game more than UConn.
I realize it was a bad year for turnovers and yes it seems the average should be 19/gm but the math does not support it, with 517 turnovers in 31 games average is 16.67 TO/gm...and not that this make it any better, still a ton of turnovers.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Villanova hasn’t had the number of injuries UConn has, causing lineup changes and playing people out of position. UConn has also been playing primarily 2 guards and 3-4 forwards. It’s always an adventure when forward handles the ball

Reaction Score
Every person that has played is averaging 2 or more per game. They can play with more patience on the break and more urgency getting into their offense. If you are racing the shot clock 10-12 times per game you may try to make a play that isn't there. Good news is they still win despite all the errors. Clean it up a little and they become a difficult team to beat.

Reaction Score
Great observation. I am not knocking Nika but she may be close to setting a record for turnovers too. I love her enthusiasm and her defense but she forces the action perhaps too much. Many of her passes are low percentage and when they connect we end up with a (sometimes) spectacular shot. When they don't connect it is usually an ugly turnover. We can speculate on what she would be like when both Paige and Azzi return, but the truth is she would probably end up with a lot of bench time.

Reaction Score
Every person that has played is averaging 2 or more per game. They can play with more patience on the break and more urgency getting into their offense. If you are racing the shot clock 10-12 times per game you may try to make a play that isn't there. Good news is they still win despite all the errors. Clean it up a little and they become a difficult team to beat.
Geno said, "you are what you are." In other words, they are a turnover machine.

Reaction Score
A lot of Nika's turnovers are do to others not catching the ball, not going to the ball, not being in the right place and several times were being held by the other team and it wasnt called (mostly Lou). Nika has had a few bad passes. Its not always her fault but she still gets credited with it.

Reaction Score
Villanova hasn’t had the number of injuries UConn has, causing lineup changes and playing people out of position. UConn has also been playing primarily 2 guards and 3-4 forwards. It’s always an adventure when forward handles the ball
I must disagree, Nika alone is responsible for 20% of the teams turnovers
AT least they don't foul

Reaction Score
That's a wonderful reason .... having to continually adapt to a new lineup and the all too many minutes that the starters have been playing ... WOW

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
My only complaint there is they played mostly 1 guard, the only other guard who was available most Inez. Lou and Aubrey are listed as forwards

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Great observation. I am not knocking Nika but she may be close to setting a record for turnovers too. I love her enthusiasm and her defense but she forces the action perhaps too much. Many of her passes are low percentage and when they connect we end up with a (sometimes) spectacular shot. When they don't connect it is usually an ugly turnover. We can speculate on what she would be like when both Paige and Azzi return, but the truth is she would probably end up with a lot of bench time.
She is the only reliable ballhandler, she handles the ball a much larger percentage of the time than any other player.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I must disagree, Nika alone is responsible for 20% of the teams turnovers
AT least they don't foul
With at least a third of those turnover's credited to her while it was the other player that didn't catch the ball, go to the ball or be in the right spot.

Reaction Score
A lot of Nika's turnovers are do to others not catching the ball, not going to the ball, not being in the right place and several times were being held by the other team and it wasnt called (mostly Lou). Nika has had a few bad passes. Its not always her fault but she still gets credited with it.

With at least a third of those turnover's credited to her while it was the other player that didn't catch the ball, go to the ball or be in the right spot.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I've always been under the impression that the last person who had possession on offense when the ball is thrown away or lost out of bounds gets the turnover.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I've always been under the impression that the last person who had possession on offense when the ball is thrown away or lost out of bounds gets the turnover.
Thats pretty much right. It might not be the passers fault but they generally get the TO.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just a little perspective ...
Uconn Asst/TO = 1.1
Opponents = 0.8

So however bad we have been, we are better than our opponents.

Also Nika is at 236-103 for a ratio of 2.29
Sue in her record season was 231-93 for 2.48 as a senior, for her career she was 2.11
DT career 1.83 and her 2002 year was 208-83 for 2.50 This was a team with the TASSK force as seniors, same as Sue's best year.
Jen never had a year above 2.0 and her career was 1.56
Bria as a senior got to 2.08 but her career was 1.52
Rene never hit 2.0 and her career was 1.80

The stand outs for assist/TO at Uconn are:
MoJeff - only her freshman campaign was below 2.0 and she blew away Sue for her career at 2.65 and as a senior flirted with a 3.0
Dangerfield - never had less than a 2.0 and hit 3.08 as a junior - her career 2.59 is second to MoJeff.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sue, Renee, Moriah, Crystal = true PG
Not sure what this means - Bria was the starting point guard for most of her 4 years at Uconn. Diana Taurasi won the Lieberman award twice (Best PG in college.) Jen Rizzotti was the starting PG for the first championship team and a NPOY.

I think they are all true PGs, though DT can also be defined as a combo guard or a shooting guard.

Reaction Score
Not sure what this means - Bria was the starting point guard for most of her 4 years at Uconn. Diana Taurasi won the Lieberman award twice (Best PG in college.) Jen Rizzotti was the starting PG for the first championship team and a NPOY.

I think they are all true PGs, though DT can also be defined as a combo guard or a shooting guard.
Jen was a true PG, Diana and Bria played 1 while they were2, team needed them

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom