Assistant coaching news... | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Assistant coaching news...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What were Richardson's and Orlando's credentials prior to joining Edsall's staff? Was anyone worried when they were hired?
No, because we didn't have google or wikipedia :)

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Honestly, who specifically were some of you looking for us to hire? I'm not looking for general responses like "a high profile QB coach". I want names. Honestly, I think many of you see Central Michigan and already form your opinion of negativity. Let's give it time and see what happens.....I trust that Diaco knows a hell of a lot more than we do regarding what type of offense he wants run and what type of person he wants calling those plays.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
No, because we didn't have google or wikipedia :)
This is is so true. The other night I was eating dinner with my wife and in-laws and some random question came up and after dinner we looked up the answer on our phones. I said, "What did we do without Google!?" My mother in-laws response, "We didn't ask stupid questions!" Very fitting! Too much over analyzing everything in our lives!

Reaction Score
Honestly, who specifically were some of you looking for us to hire? I'm not looking for general responses like "a high profile QB coach". I want names. Honestly, I think many of you see Central Michigan and already form your opinion of negativity. Let's give it time and see what happens.....I trust that Diaco knows a hell of a lot more than we do regarding what type of offense he wants run and what type of person he wants calling those plays.

At the very least, maybe we can learn what it takes to beat a MAC team. :rolleyes:

Oh wait...we already did. We changed coaching staffs.

Reaction Score
This is is so true. The other night I was eating dinner with my wife and in-laws and some random question came up and after dinner we looked up the answer on our phones. I said, "What did we do without Google!?" My mother in-laws response, "We didn't ask stupid questions!" Very fitting! Too much over analyzing everything in our lives!

You're last 2 posts make a great case for shutting down the board completely. Although your intent is clearly to marginalize anyone who poses a question or an opinion you disagree with. Most of us aren't passing judgement on our new coach just bouncing around questions and scenarios. And we've all heard that "coach knows best about everything" stuff before. Yet coaches keep getting fired.

Reaction Score
You're last 2 posts make a great case for shutting down the board completely. Although your intent is clearly to marginalize anyone who poses a question or an opinion you disagree with.

Jim...I think you misread his Google post.

Reaction Score
I don't think so. Read both again.

Now that I read them again, I happen to agree with him. If you really pay attention to what some "energy suckers" are posting, is he wrong?

Here's a recap of the 2013 season where CMU lost their starting QB and RB, never mind the 4 starting OL.

Central Michigan

The Chippewas (6-6, 5-3) made a long recovery after losing their starting quarterback and all-conference tailback in a season-opening loss to Michigan, but they managed to even their record in the finale, and become bowl eligible for the second consecutive year. A 42-10 blasting of Eastern Michigan to end the season provided a showcase for senior RB Zurlon Tipton, who had seriously injured his ankle in that Michigan game and missed most of the season. Tipton closed out the year with 216 rushing yards on 20 carries, and scored four touchdowns.

After a terrific 2012 offensive season (see my post where CMU was ahead of over a dozen P5 in offensive rankings), they managed to get to .500 in 2013.

But we should have hired an offensive coordinator who had a top 25 offense for a couple of years. Yeah...right.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm mildly concerned but at this point we might as have faith that in BD. I'm hopeful that that these guys will turnout to be a high energy enthusiastic group that get us back in the game...and then some. You just gotta believe:

Reaction Score
I'm mildly concerned but at this point we might as have faith that in BD. I'm hopeful that that these guys will turnout to be a high energy enthusiastic group that get us back in the game...and then some. You just gotta believe:

I forced myself to watch it to the end. Too funny.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I have no issue with any of these coaches coming in because it is who HCBD is comfortable with and must feel they can help UCONN move forward with his goals for UCONN.

I am curious who will be the linebacker, defensive lineman and DC coach. My guess is two coaches will fill the spots.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Nobody on here can really accurate predict whether or not this will be a good hire, but based on the facts alone (CMU's offense rankings) and that he hasn't ever even called the plays ( per the quote in his interview) it makes you scratch your head.

To be overly negative or positive at this point is premature, but to have a concern based on his resume seems legitimate.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So a coach is supposed to lose his starting QB, RB and 4 starters from the OL and shine. What a loser Cummings must be. I believe they put up 30 ten times in 2012, but hey...that's 2012.

He didn't even call his own plays.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Which position have we clearly upgraded from the Weist staff?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nobody on here can really accurate predict whether or not this will be a good hire, but based on the facts alone (CMU's offense rankings) and that he hasn't ever even called the plays ( per the quote in his interview) it makes you scratch your head.

To be overly negative or positive at this point is premature, but to have a concern based on his resume seems legitimate.

You are right, we don't know. But Diaco is making a lot of first time Head Coach mistakes. He blows out the old staff. He replaces them with a lot of friends of his who are getting pretty significant promotions. And we don't see a single guy on the list that looked like he was in demand with other schools.

I thought Pasqualoni was a silly old fossil, but the resumes of some of the coaches that came in were solid if not outright impressive. The only mistake he made on the staff was bringing in his friend.

We are where we are, and this program and entire athletic program is totally *$%@ed if Diaco doesn't work out, so we got to root for him. Let's hope for the best.

Reaction Score

I was not expecting a previous OC who did NOT call his own plays. Doesn't this make you think twice about the hire? If Diaco was an OC himself it would make more sense. I know a position coach would not have play calling experience, but this is slightly different.

Reaction Score
FWIW:

Jon Wilner ‏@wilnerhotline28 Dec
Stanford DC Derek Mason turned down interview opps w/ teams, includng Army & UConn. Said happy at Stanford & "it's got to be the right job."

So it appears that Mason will not be our new DC, though I like seeing how far and high HCBD was reaching out.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
This board is starting to turn into a gaggle of hand wringers. Has the former regime beaten everyone down so badly? Has any person with hope fled?

Geez, one of the rumored candidates may have slept late once, and will set a bad example for the team!!!

Maybe the coaches will be so good that they will defeat the British with fireballs from his arse!

Maybe we all should breathe a bit, have a shot of rye, and just chill. It's bad enough that no official news is posted without worrying above our pay grade...

Happy New Years to all!

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I don't think so. Read both again.
My Google post actually had nothing to do with my other post. I can see how you could think my last line is about us over analyzing things but it's actually in regards to life in general. My wife alone becomes a doctor in seconds as soon as she has a cough thanks to stupid WebMD. No need for it. It's just life.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I was not expecting a previous OC who did NOT call his own plays. Doesn't this make you think twice about the hire? If Diaco was an OC himself it would make more sense. I know a position coach would not have play calling experience, but this is slightly different.
Technically we don't know for sure if Weist called his own plays before PP left and look how he turned out. I'm convinced Moorehead never called all the plays when we was OC here under Edsall and he's doing pretty well at Fordham. So I'm not losing sleep over that fact like many here. It's how things were handled at CMU and hopefully Diaco saw things he hopes will turn out to be solid here. Time will tell and there's nothing any of us can do to change the fact that this guys our OC.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
You are right, we don't know. But Diaco is making a lot of first time Head Coach mistakes. He blows out the old staff. He replaces them with a lot of friends of his who are getting pretty significant promotions. And we don't see a single guy on the list that looked like he was in demand with other schools.

I thought Pasqualoni was a silly old fossil, but the resumes of some of the coaches that came in were solid if not outright impressive. The only mistake he made on the staff was bringing in his friend.

We are where we are, and this program and entire athletic program is totally $%@ed if Diaco doesn't work out, so we got to root for him. Let's hope for the best.
How did those resumes on the assistant coaches work out for PP? Last I checked we never hit .500 and as much as we all wanna blame PP and GDL, those assistant coaches had a hand in it as well. What looks good on paper isn't always good in real life. A lot of it has to do with how all the parts work together and if this staff has some previous experience with the HC, then that's a decent start. We just have to hope that the inexperience turns out to be a non-factor and that these guys can really coach, just haven't had all the experience due to age.

Reaction Score
This board is starting to turn into a gaggle of hand wringers. Has the former regime beaten everyone down so badly? Has any person with hope fled?

Geez, one of the rumored candidates may have slept late once, and will set a bad example for the team!!!

Maybe the coaches will be so good that they will defeat the British with fireballs from his arse!

Maybe we all should breathe a bit, have a shot of rye, and just chill. It's bad enough that no official news is posted without worrying above our pay grade...

Happy New Years to all!
Technically we don't know for sure if Weist called his own plays before PP left and look how he turned out. I'm convinced Moorehead never called all the plays when we was OC here under Edsall and he's doing pretty well at Fordham. So I'm not losing sleep over that fact like many here. It's how things were handled at CMU and hopefully Diaco saw things he hopes will turn out to be solid here. Time will tell and there's nothing any of us can do to change the fact that this guys our OC.
How did those resumes on the assistant coaches work out for PP? Last I checked we never hit .500 and as much as we all wanna blame PP and GDL, those assistant coaches had a hand in it as well. What looks good on paper isn't always good in real life. A lot of it has to do with how all the parts work together and if this staff has some previous experience with the HC, then that's a decent start. We just have to hope that the inexperience turns out to be a non-factor and that these guys can really coach, just haven't had all the experience due to age.

Some Byardrs all need to take a giant chill pill....let's look at the positives and this BY needs to get real...nothing is official until it's official-everybody here was talking Narduzzi-AND TRACING AIRFLIGHTS of prospective coaches and WM.
First-HCBD calls the shots and a massive effort is needed to revamp the OL. It looks like we got an OC who has humongous o-line experience PLUS FOLEY.
Second-New OC was OC before and save for last year had success coaching up....
Third-Heavy emphasis on recruiting. Resumes show that...We need ginormous push in this area. looks like this staff can get it done there...plus Bobby on the hard sell....
Fourth-Diaco as a prior DC at ND and Cincy can evaluate offensive performance as he had to stop offenses.
Fifth-So new OC did not call his own plays...do you think he, HCBD and remainder of staff are stupid? Think Kelly didn't influence the play calling at ND? Ask HCBD..he was the Ass't head coach.
Six- How much play calling experience did TJ have and once we got settled....the play calling was pretty damn good and Casey set records (took awhile to get the o-line back on track but the results were good...chill out!!!!

Reaction Score
Kept Foley because he "fit the DNA" of the team that he wants to be. So do the other guys evidently. We have to let it play out? The Patterson hire makes more and more sense now that we see the rest of the staff. The defensive side will be young as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom