Ask Geno, why???? [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ask Geno, why???? [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
3/22 = 13.6% shooter on 3s. I'd say hitting that shot was almost like hitting the lottery. :) Just kidding, I know the lottery odds are a lot worse than that.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Blown coverage my behind! There was noone even near the shooter. Before the ball is even inbounded every player near the 3pt. line must be defended. There was no defender on that side of the floor near the shooter!

Eh Magic - what's your idea of blown coverage? You are assuming that the SJ player was just kind of hanging out in the right wing. My guess is that she drifted out as the play developed and Hayes was unable to get to her.

There was no defender there because of blown coverage. The defender was trying to get there but didn't. IMO she couldn't but IB has a point. The coverage was blown the - only question is why.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Eh Magic - what's your idea of blown coverage? You are assuming that the SJ player was just kind of hanging out in the right wing. My guess is that she drifted out as the play developed and Hayes was unable to get to her.

There was no defender there because of blown coverage. The defender was trying to get there but didn't. IMO she couldn't but IB has a point. The coverage was blown the - only question is why.

Both SJU players started the play lined up next to each other (w/in 2-3 feet) to the right of the foul line with Smith closer to the baseline. Tiff was on Smith and Kiah on Stevens. This is shown if you stop the play of the game on cptv at the 2:50:35 mark. Tiff anticipated Smith would set a screen which is what she did most of the evening. Instead, Smith simply flared out behind the 3-pt line and Tiff yelled switch to Kiah. Kiah was then screened by Stevens and couldn't get out to Smith. The mistake was Tiffany's as she and the coaches noted. But, to your point, Smith did not start off behind the 3-point line. She started off two feet to the right of the foul line and then drifted out behind the 3-pt line without Tiff following her. It was one of a few mental mistakes made at the end of the game which one can attribute to fatigue and/or the pressure of the moment. It happens but as we just learned it can be the difference between a win or loss.

Reaction Score

What is it that a blown coverage does not explained what happened, why, who's fault was it, the coach, the player.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I thought it was simple - Hayes was to guard Smith and she didn't. Either she didn't because she couldn't (blocked by Stevens) or she misunderstood the assignment. Either way the coverage was blown.

UConnCat - You saw what I saw except I didn't realize that Hayes wanted Stokes to switch. If you look at that point, both Stokes and Hayes are impeded by Stevens and only Stokes was able to get free.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I thought it was simple - Hayes was to guard Smith and she didn't. Either she didn't because she couldn't (blocked by Stevens) or she misunderstood the assignment. Either way the coverage was blown.

UConnCat - You saw what I saw except I didn't realize that Hayes wanted Stokes to switch. If you look at that point, both Stokes and Hayes are impeded by Stevens and only Stokes was able to get free.

It was simple. Typically at the end of game situations when a team wants to prevent a 3 coaches instruct players to switch on every screen. My guess is that is what Geno told the team. But in the last possession, Tiffany was likely anticipating a screen by Smith (which is what happened for most of the game) but the screen never happened. Smith simply drifted out to the arc. You can see Tiff yell at Kiah who then tried to get to Smith but couldn't. Tiff switched to guard Stevens and never tried to get to Smith. As the more experienced player making the call, Tiff blew the coverage by not staying with Smith. She and the coaches said as much. It was a mental breakdown, but the game was not lost on that last play; SJU outplayed UConn throughout the game.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Why even let St. John's take a shot? After Bria fouled to put St. John's in the bonus, she should have fouled again and made them shoot a 1 and 1. Worst case scenario is a tie.. Kind of confused by the last 20 seconds of that game

Reaction Score
Why even let St. John's take a shot? After Bria fouled to put St. John's in the bonus, she should have fouled again and made them shoot a 1 and 1. Worst case scenario is a tie.. Kind of confused by the last 20 seconds of that game
You would only do that up 3…

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

There wasn't much opportunity. The ball was inbounded and Faris was blocked from reaching the ball handler. After that there wasn't a defender near either SJ ball handler. I think the only opportunity would have to be off the ball and I really doubt the refs would call it.

Reaction Score
Amen sister!

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
There wasn't much opportunity. The ball was inbounded and Faris was blocked from reaching the ball handler. After that there wasn't a defender near either SJ ball handler. I think the only opportunity would have to be off the ball and I really doubt the refs would call it.

Idk, I watched the game yesterday and replayed the last 20 seconds of the game quite a few times.. Bria had several chances, and a hard enough off the ball foul without it being too hard could have been called

Reaction Score
Statistically speaking, it would be a bad move to foul anyone who is a competent foul shooter and send them to the line, as opposed to just playing defense.

Note that an off-ball foul in that situation, if called, would almost certainly be deemed an intentional foul and give St. Johns two shots and the ball.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Statistically speaking, it would be a bad move to foul anyone who is a competent foul shooter and send them to the line, as opposed to just playing defense.

Note that an off-ball foul in that situation, if called, would almost certainly be deemed an intentional foul and give St. Johns two shots and the ball.

Totally understand that, but after watching the Nova UConn game last night, the majority of the time, college refs don't call it as that. Nova fouled UConn before they even inbounded it, which is always intentional, and it wasn't called as that. I'd say that is more often called in high school than college.. I'd have rather taken the chance that they'd miss a shot on a 1 and 1 than give them an opportunity to go ahead with a 3

Reaction Score
You would only do that up 3…
Exactly, but the coaching staff has to make sure that under no circumstances does a three point attempt become available. Defenders should have been matched up before ball was inbounded. If a 2pt. shot is made, so be it. Now it's tied and you have the ball. Youi cannot lose on 3pointer in that situation under any circumstance.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Except the coaches aren't on the court and can't do that.

Reaction Score
According to Kim the play they drew up was NOT for a three. And I suppose you also knew that a girl was going to make her 4th three of the season for the win?
Come on - It happens. UCONN shouldn't have never let St Johns be close in the game. Once games are that close anything can happen. Busted play, bad call or somebody who hardly ever hits a 3 hitting one. That's sports for you.
OK Blue-smart guy. You should get your facts straight before posting this crap. Please see what was written in The Day about the play that WAS DRAWN UP. Read on...

http://www.theday.com/article/20120219/SPORT06/302199904/-1/SPORTuconn
"When (coach) wrote the play up, I hadn't hit one all day and this was the going to be the one I hit," said Smith, who had only made three of her 22 3-point attempts this season before that shot.

AND
Mike DiMauro wrote:
Now we have St. John's, whose kids hung around like yellow police tape all of Saturday night, surely long enough for a kid named Shenneika Smith to make her fourth three-point shot of the season. It was 56-54 UConn with time growing desperate when Kim Barnes Arico, the underappreciated coach of the Red Storm, asked her coaches during a timeout: go for the tie or the win? And if we go for the win, who takes the shot?
The decision was unanimous: Shenneika Smith.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And with that...interesting post, this thread is done. May it rest in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom