As Losses Mount, UConn Drifts Farther From Early Season Optimism (Mike Anthony) | The Boneyard

As Losses Mount, UConn Drifts Farther From Early Season Optimism (Mike Anthony)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is pretty clear that at this point nobody is buying what Diaco is selling. Not the team. Not the fans and not the media. I doubt he is around for spring practice without at leAst 2 win but if he is I suspect he will be on notice that unless he goes 7-5 or better that is the end.

I guess it is always possible that they turn around next year and have a Memphis 2015 type year. I don't see it though.

Reaction Score
Even if he "turns it around" in 2017 in terms of a winning record it still doesn't excuse all of the mistakes he makes - it just means the coin flip went his way. 2018 could be horrible again because the ball bounces the other way. Fundamentals.

"It was disconcerting to hear Diaco and players say that they faced in East Carolina exactly what they spent a week preparing for. The Huskies planned properly and practiced all week and were blown off the field anyway."

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Temple is a more physical, more talented and better coached team than UConn who LOVES to beat the Huskies. Once this season is finally over on Friday night, it'll be time for Benedict and Diaco to have a very long talk about staff upgrades this offseason.

Reaction Score
We're heading into a rebuilding season for 2017, Diaco's 4th season as HC (you don't even have to point out how unacceptable that is) and we're going to hinge our season's hopes on the shoulder's of a RSFr. Unless Donovan Williams is brilliant from the start this team is in for the same type of results next yr too.

Reaction Score
The situation is likely getting beyond Diaco's ability to fix it, putting aside his own deficiencies and limitations. The minute you become a joke with your players and they quit on you there is a cancer that propagates year over year that cannot be eradicated. His planning has failed. His decision making has failed. His player evaluations have failed. His skills coaching has failed. The players have done what has been asked and swallowed Diaco's peace and love routine only to come up empty.

Reaction Score
1-11, 0-12 are on the table for next year based on the way things are going at this point.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Wish I could comment. He got it right but didn't finish the article.
#firediaco
#buyoutbob

Reaction Score
The minute you become a joke with your players and they quit on you there is a cancer that propagates year over year that cannot be eradicated..

As with any organizational leader - but there needs to be definitive evidence that this is indeed occurring - not supposition on the BY because of second half play in a blow out.

Reaction Score
Diaco says that he likes a BIG OL. That is now out of date. Clearly lack of quickness and agility are major problems with the OL. Some people say no, lack of good technique is the problem. Really?? How damn hard could it be to master the footwork, body position, alignments and assignments if you have been playing this sport most of your life? Not buying that.

I like to take binoculars to the game to watch individual players. Believe me the OL is very slow and clumsy. If I were Diaco I would order an immediate across the board weight reduction of 20 pounds. Believe it or not, this is even going on in the NFL to some extent: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/30/s...s&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
315g0zl.jpg

I love how many people here want to give Diaco 2017 because he went 6-6 last year and played in the Paul's Landscaping Bowl in front of 50 people. If we're aiming for that type of "success", lets keep him. If we want to fix this program, ****ing fire his ass.

We're watching this ship sink rapidly. Giving him 2017 will be the deathblow. Benedict can't be a p***y, pay the money and fire him, then re-start this whole ****ing process over and pray we get it right.

Reaction Score
As with any organizational leader - but there needs to be definitive evidence that this is indeed occurring - not supposition on the BY because of second half play in a blow out.
True. But, you can sense it. Let's see what the next game shows.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
True. But, you can sense it. Let's see what the next game shows.

Yes, either we play like the continuation of the UCONN coaching career of our head coach hangs in the balance, and we're invested in seeing it continue, or we mail it in like we did for 3 1/2 quarters of the ECU game. It shouldn't be too difficult for us as fans to recognize the difference between these two approaches. One means the players want their head coach to stay on, and the other means they don't care about that anymore.

Reaction Score
Early season optimism? The Maine game was a near disaster and we have been balancing on edge of a sword ever since.

Reaction Score
Clearly this team quit on Saturday I have been willing to give Diaco the Benicia of doubt but it is time to look forward. Our recruiting consists of 1-2 level 3 players and the balance are 2 or complete unknowns. We start each season with such high hope only to tailspin into mediocrity We are no longer in a premier league and we struggle to compete I don't have an answer but the current direction is not working. Our other programs are holding their own but this will last just so long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom