As ESPN Debated, Te’o Story Slipped Away | The Boneyard

As ESPN Debated, Te’o Story Slipped Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This article is the perfect example of what "journalism" has become. If you aren't first to break a story, you are apparently at fault.

I don't fault ESPN at all for not running this story until they got proper evidence. This is quite the assertion to make and they SHOULD have real evidence before they report it. This isn't breaking a story about a trade rumor, this is someone's life. Good for Deadspin that they ran with this story. They aren't held to the same journalistic standards as ESPN and can take risks for stories like this. If ESPN had, and was proven wrong, I can only imagine the firestorm they would come under.

Now whether ESPN needs better fact-checkers and investigatory journalists is another story all together...

Reaction Score
Wait, I thought Deadspin was an outlet for ESPN's "other" stories. Not so?

Can't tell if you are serious or not? Deadspin and ESPN have a very long, ugly and well-documented feud.

Perhaps you are thinking of Grantland?

Reaction Score
I admit I did not, and probably will not, read the nytimes article. But I believe the debate that raged at ESPN for a week was more about how they can "break" a story that they already knew about or played a role in ...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't fault ESPN at all for not running this story until they got proper evidence. This is quite the assertion to make and they SHOULD have real evidence before they report it.

The problem is that they pick and chose based on what's good for their business. ESPN isn't adverse to running with a story before it's vetted. And on the other hand they will igmore a story if it affects a favorite. Not to long ago when it was Brett Favre 24/7 on ESPN, a story broke out everywhere about Favre talking to other teams about how to beat the Packers. ESPN was totally silent. They are not a news organization.

Reaction Score
ESPN ought to have it's broadcasting license revoked. Any success they've had has gone to their collective heads and they have forgotten their '79 roots. Chris Berman thinks he is football now instead of remembering he was just the equivalent of a television newspaper boy. . . . just make sure the news gets delivered, don't need your opinion on what we see and what we hear and what we read.

Reaction Score
Journalism in general is dead. Fox started it with gratuitous lop-sided commentary and the model is hugely successful. The E in ESPN used to stand for entertainment. Most journalism these days is pure entertainment, not much else.

Reaction Score
Journalism in general is dead. Fox started it with gratuitous lop-sided commentary and the model is hugely successful. The E in ESPN used to stand for entertainment. Most journalism these days is pure entertainment, not much else.

Honestly, I don't care about that Te'o stuff... just wanted to let you know that your current avatar is the most refreshing thing on this message board... Thanks for sharing bro...

Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't care about that Te'o stuff... just wanted to let you know that your current avatar is the most refreshing thing on this message board... Thanks for sharing bro...

Literally hours of searching to find THE picture. Nice to know it's appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom