As Dominant as Hurley Has Made the Program, the Road is still a Harsh Place | Page 2 | The Boneyard

As Dominant as Hurley Has Made the Program, the Road is still a Harsh Place

Reaction Score
It’s an impressive, negative, headline for the media to get attention but realistically, it’s not like we get that many chances to beat a ranked team on the road. I’m too busy to do the research. Frankly, I’d rather be really good at neutral court games - in which we have thrived.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
March 6th they play at Marquette. Could end this nonsense.
Lol, Shaka will have that team bleeding in the eyes for revenge. If we can avenge the Seton Hall and *only lose to Marquette, I will take it. If we're real national title contenders, our expectations should be winning the B.E. tournament. If those align Uconn can still be #1 overall seed.

Reaction Score
It’s an impressive, negative, headline for the media to get attention but realistically, it’s not like we get that many chances to beat a ranked team on the road. I’m too busy to do the research. Frankly, I’d rather be really good at neutral court games - in which we have thrived.
I’ll do it for you: we’ve had 20 since 2014

Reaction Score
This stat was almost as shocking as our record on BE opening games….and then we won 14 in a row. I’ll take 13 in a row now, because that will make us national champions.

I think this group will use this to refocus and get hungry for another run. The ‘07 Florida team was atrocious during their last five games, and then destroyed everyone in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Well, one thing I often wonder about it how worse the home cooking has gotten in college basketball. It doesn’t take much to influence a game from refereeing standpoint.

Last night there were many calls and non calls that left you wondering a bit - it this basketball or did we attend a Creighton exhibition?

Ie. We were starting to get on a roll first half and the refs decided to reverse what was at that point in time a irreversible call to give the ball back to Creighton on a a possession. That was cringeworthy.

Or a Creighton player landing on top of Diarra and he gets a call against him. Or the phantom 2nd call on Clingon?

You see this more and more in college basketball. Worst case this season so far was Northwestern at Purdue where there was like a 30 free throw differential.

So, I don’t really care as much about this Stat of us losing on the road. Ultimately the NCAA tourney is the great equalizer.

Reaction Score
Lol, Shaka will have that team bleeding in the eyes for revenge. If we can avenge the Seton Hall and *only lose to Marquette, I will take it. If we're real national title contenders, our expectations should be winning the B.E. tournament. If those align Uconn can still be #1 overall seed.
Yet to win the Natty we don't Have to be #1's top seed or even a #1 at all do we?

Reaction Score
Yet to win the Natty we don't Have to be #1's top seed or even a #1 at all do we?
You completely missed my point. Half the board wants the Team in the East so that we can watch them in Boston.

Reaction Score
I am guessing that every team’s road record against ranked teams is pretty grim.
This year especially.

I think I saw a stat that ranked teams' winning percentage against unranked teams is something like .400 this year.

Forget about playing at a ranked team.

Reaction Score
It's embarrassing, but ultimately represents like 2 games per year over that span, many of which were the horrible parts of the KO era and its aftermath.

That said, if we want to cement our place as a dominant, feared program, we have to start winning some of these games. At Marquette will be a big one.

Reaction Score
As mentioned, yes, UConn was down for a portion of that time.
Key, number of opportunities. Right now only 3 Big East teams of 10 opponents are ranked so there are only 2 chances to beat a ranked team on the road.
Big 12 has 6 currently ranked teams so more chances.
19 road losses in 10 years. pfffffffffft.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I just had a bad feeling after the game this weekend. It is not a trap game, but a let down, to say the least. One player did his job and the rest didn't. That is it

Newton was great on offense and poor on defense so his job was half done in my opinion.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
This game reminded me of another time when we were playing pretty well and got annihilated by Louisville. Totally outplayed in every respect. Despite this we managed to win the NC with Bazz, Boat,
Giffey and Deandre & Co. That game was a total trashing and I never forgot it. I think it woke them up and gave them the motivation at the right time.

Reaction Score
When we say the “road” is a harsh place - it is. No doubt. But I do think the home cooking has gotten worse over the years. We saw some last night at key moments in the game and then it snowballed. But other games this year like Purdue shooting 40+ FT to Northwestern 9, borderline ridiculous.

The NCAA tourney is the only thing that matters. It is the great equalizer, all the rest conference championship/BE Tourney/Road wins etc. eh, footnotes at end of the day.

Reaction Score
This game reminded me of another time when we were playing pretty well and got annihilated by Louisville. Totally outplayed in every respect. Despite this we managed to win the NC with Bazz, Boat,
Giffey and Deandre & Co. That game was a total trashing and I never forgot it. I think it woke them up and gave them the motivation at the right time.

It didn't strike me quite the same, but it's because we lost to Louisville three times that season, all by double-digits. That one was the second loss, though by far the worst loss. (As many of you recall, we also lost decisively to SMU twice that year.) Creighton has UConn's number more than anyone else in the current Big East, but we beat them convincingly at home this season, and we should at least be able to hang with them at MSG if we meet again (most likely in the Big East final) next month.

I kept expecting us to come back last night, but we just couldn't hit a ton of makeable shots (though Spencer and Karaban weren't getting open looks at threes, to Creighton's credit). It never felt like we were coming back against Louisville in the 2014 massacre. They were in "name the score" territory.

Reaction Score

I get comfort from the assumption that that post and stat makes DH want to put his fist through the wall as competitive as he is. Beating Marquette at their place- especially since they’ll have revenge on their minds- may be like climbing Everest without oxygen but he’ll make sure his guys are as motivated as can be to kill that streak.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It's embarrassing, but ultimately represents like 2 games per year over that span, many of which were the horrible parts of the KO era and its aftermath.

That said, if we want to cement our place as a dominant, feared program, we have to start winning some of these games. At Marquette will be a big one.
KO has more ranked road wins than Hurley in the same timespan.

1708527605098.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom