As college football's elite is engulfed in a power struggle, G5 left just trying to survive: 'We are a farm system'(Ross Dellenger @ Yahoo) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

As college football's elite is engulfed in a power struggle, G5 left just trying to survive: 'We are a farm system'(Ross Dellenger @ Yahoo)

Reaction Score
Dark theory. CFP was always meant to end in a power 2 tournament. The rest of us were fooling ourselves they'd open it up to everybody else

Reaction Score
If SEC and Big 10 end up blocking everyone else, UConn ends up in the ACC with the left overs minus probably FSU, Clemson, Miami and UNC.

Reaction Score
There is some talk that the North Carolina educational governance system might not allow UNC out at the expense of NCState. Also some talk that Clemson is not a given to the SEC and a “no go” for the Big Ten

Reaction Score
And FSU is not AAU and the SEC and FSU may be not be destined.

Reaction Score
I think the BiG has their eye on Virginia and UNC. Wouldn’t surprise me if the SEC is not enamored with Clemson and FSU. They may feel they already have the presence they need in those markets. Will be interesting to see if ND waits too long and gets boxed out.

Reaction Score
Markets….old think. New think is national draw and viewers.

Reaction Score
Maybe……but I think the BiG grabbed USC and UCLA for reason.
Market didn’t hurt but UCLA and USC were also the biggest brands in the PAC-12 at that point. Washington and Oregon were #3 & #4 brands (but not the third and fourth market)

Reaction Score
Markets...DMAs and markets are not the same....people watch brands in more than a DMA...Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Opelika (Auburn), etc.

Tallahassee ranked DMA # 105....Lansing #115....Gainesville #159...Madison #72.

Boston is #9 DMA but does it mean anything ?

Reaction Score
Markets...DMAs and markets are not the same....people watch brands in more than a DMA...Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Opelika (Auburn), etc.

I can assure you it did for the BiG when they went into LA, NY/NJ and Maryland. The BiG and SEC are looking at a pro franchise sports model to grow. If you are on the outside looking in and in smaller markets you should be nervous. ND might be the exception in terms of a national brand……maybe….

Reaction Score
Chicken and egg.....no?

Yes and no... LA has been the #1 market and UCLA / USC the top brands... but in terms of DMA size #2 is San Francisco-Oakland. Cal & Stanford were not the second highest set of brands. Phoenix is 3rd and Arizona & ASU are much further back. Seattle is the 4th and Portland the 6th (after Denver in 5th) market in the league. It was Washington & Oregon who were the second highest set of brand-value with the others lagging behind from there... the Big Ten acted accordingly selecting the top brands, even ahead of the biggest markets. (For context Denver has 500k more people in it's market; Phoenix & San Fran about double (so 1.2M more people in theirs) over the Portland DMA

Reaction Score
New York is number one. But isn’t a big college football town. Neither is Philly.

Reaction Score

In the mid west, people come from far and wide to see the game. A much bigger area than just the boundaries of the TV market.

Reaction Score
In the mid west, people come from far and wide to see the game. A much bigger area than just the boundaries of the TV market.

And the south...Midwest and south are football hotbeds...

Reaction Score
And the south...Midwest and south are football hotbeds...
Almost certainly true, but I have no first hand knowledge of the south other than having gone to Clemson a bunch of times mid week.

Reaction Score
What did I see yesterday? 50-50 that congress will grant NCAA anti-trust exemption this year?

Reaction Score
New York is number one. But isn’t a big college football town.

Exactly, suggesting that the BiG took in Rutgers because of market demographics.......god knows it was't because of football prowess ;)

Reaction Score
Exactly, suggesting that the BiG took in Rutgers because of market demographics.......god knows it was't because of football prowess ;)
Boom! Rutty going to the BIG 10 was all about demographics (NYC market). Right??? Riddle me this...who is the bigger presence on the City? WBB is on SNY. MBB fans are the "6th borough" for games at MSG. Pretty much a UConn home game. We have more juice than St. John's at the Garden. B10 picked the wrong school, down football program at the time and all. If football was cresting they would have overlooked the AAU accreditation thing, or at least given us a window to complete. As much as I love the BE for hoops, the B10 checks all the boxes. That ship has sailed. The school is doing the best they can currently with the BE/Indy football scenario, but for how much longer?

OK rant over. My family is tired me chasing them around the house going off about this.

Reaction Score
. basketball has been a NY sport forever. Football? Not so much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom