As bad as the AAC is.. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

As bad as the AAC is..

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ONE ... whaler11 is wrong about these first two kids. Just crazy throwing bricks in June, particularly relating to the Quarterback position. If a kid gets a UConn offer, and senses that he is at his highest & best, he grabs it early. The QB position is far different than all others. The exception is the kid that climbs dramatically in his Senior year and that is a low percentage of kids who get either P5 or AAC/MWC or even MAC scholarships.

You can't judge UConn or Diaco by the standards of other schools. We just have a far different paradigm in recruiting. And now we have the P5 - Syracuse, BC, Rutgers, Pitt - issue. Diaco, with 15-17 scholarships, is probably a better evaluator/recruiter than I initially suspected; and in relationship to Edsall, he goes for a higher pedigree. Edsall was an amazingly good selector of potential - RE Will Beatty or Blidi Wreh-Wilson.

SECOND ... I abhor this tendency to be dismissive to others. Yes, I name names of those that are bullies. Have a problem with that? I know several guys my age who aren't around here any longer. If someone does disagree, it's not because you are superior. Maybe you can learn something.

as some clearly state ... no one is playing the apologist for Diaco and his staff ... we just really want to be better and go to fun games.

It's fairly impressive how often you can contradict yourself while ignoring actual facts but inventing things with no evidence.

You can't judge Diaco by the same standards as other schools but no that isn't playing the apologist?

To answer your question no I don't really have a problem with what or how other people post - maybe I'm not as sensitive when people disagree with me.

Reaction Score
I am not chasing whaler11 down a rabbit hole of his making.

I type complex sentences: I am sorry.

When I say UConn football specific facts, that includes Diaco. OK ... whaler11, now go add 1000 posts.

YOU ARE freaking sensitive. We can time you ... and you are faster than the NHRA.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I am not chasing whaler11 down a rabbit hole of his making.

I type complex sentences: I am sorry.

When I say UConn football specific facts, that includes Diaco. OK ... whaler11, now go add 1000 posts.

YOU ARE freaking sensitive. We can time you ... and you are faster than the NHRA.

If I'm so sensitive in your estimation why are you so comfortable bullying me?

Reaction Score
Let's not try and pretend I'm holding Diaco's feet to the fire for not consistently beating BC, Rutgers and Maryland for players. You'd need to pretend nothing exists football-wise between the P5 and FCS.

You say that, but that's what I read this statement from the initial post in this thread to mean... "How does the staff get a pass when they lose every recruiting battle?" Is it just intended hyperbole?

He's gotten a few kids in the short time here with other G5 peer and non-peer P5 offers to take a chance (half dozen?).

There are only so many kids who will buy into the local legend/hero line... they just need to put W's on the board this year to build on it quickly.

Reaction Score
You say that, but that's what I read this statement from the initial post in this thread to mean... "How does the staff get a pass when they lose every recruiting battle?" Is it just intended hyperbole?

He's gotten a few kids in the short time here with other G5 peer and non-peer P5 offers to take a chance (half dozen?).

There are only so many kids who will buy into the local legend/hero line... they just need to put W's on the board this year to build on it quickly.

Wow.... That was a quick brunch!!!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Well I can't really pretend that I'm above some hyperbole to try and make a point.

Nobody knows better than you what is happening.

Either the staff wastes time on players they don't think they are
can land - or they aren't executing as well as they would like. That seems self evident I'm not sure why some think we need to pretend otherwise.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I don't want the staff to spend most of their time on kids we have zero shot at, but I kind of want them to spend some time on kids who are reaches. I also want them to spend some time on finding less developed kids that don't already have 20 offers.

Minor note - SMU, Houston, Memphis & Tulane which are supposedly killing it on the trail this year play in the western division.

Reaction Score
ONE ... whaler11 is wrong about these first two kids. Just crazy throwing bricks in June, particularly relating to the Quarterback position. If a kid gets a UConn offer, and senses that he is at his highest & best, he grabs it early. The QB position is far different than all others. The exception is the kid that climbs dramatically in his Senior year and that is a low percentage of kids who get either P5 or AAC/MWC or even MAC scholarships.

You can't judge UConn or Diaco by the standards of other schools. We just have a far different paradigm in recruiting. And now we have the P5 - Syracuse, BC, Rutgers, Pitt - issue. Diaco, with 15-17 scholarships, is probably a better evaluator/recruiter than I initially suspected; and in relationship to Edsall, he goes for a higher pedigree. Edsall was an amazingly good selector of potential - RE Will Beatty or Blidi Wreh-Wilson.

SECOND ... I abhor this tendency to be dismissive to others. Yes, I name names of those that are bullies. Have a problem with that? I know several guys my age who aren't around here any longer. If someone does disagree, it's not because you are superior. Maybe you can learn something.

as some clearly state ... no one is playing the apologist for Diaco and his staff ... we just really want to be better and go to fun games.
And you could be wrong about the first two kids. No one will know until 2017 at the earliest about either. Offers while not the beginning end and of the discussion mean something. People who actually make a living evaluating talent can not afford to make a series of mistakes. Offers more than stars tell you a lot about a kid's potential.

While you believe Uconn's paradigm is different, you don't really explain how it is far different especially in the context of how Uconn's recruiting compares to other AAC schools. The rest of your opinion on BD and the pedigree he is looking at has no factual basis mainly because it does not yet exist. Last years class suggest no major step up in pedigree versus Edsall. Edsall had a couple of recruiting wins every year starting with Dan O before Uconn had a new stadium and playing in Div I.

And for one of the more superior/condescending posters ("I write complex sentences"), look in the mirror and say hello to a dismissive poster.

Finally, do you really want more fun or do you want a championship? Do you want to be better or dominant in the AAC? Baby steps first, but what is your real hope?

Tangible positive steps in recruiting is having a class of kids wher 80% choose Uconn over other sImilar/peer G5 FBS schools, 5% chose Uconn over P5 schools and 15% under the radar/we evaluate talent better kids. Put together 3 classes like that, and I will take the bet on competing for championships. of course I assuming there is a moderate level of coaching talent assembled (tbd as of right now).

Reaction Score
Minor note - SMU, Houston, Memphis & Tulane which are supposedly killing it on the trail this year play in the western division.
More proof all it takes is a truly competent coaching staff. We're ****ing 0-3 against SMU?!?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And you could be wrong about the first two kids. No one will know until 2017 at the earliest about either. Offers while not the beginning end and of the discussion mean something. People who actually make a living evaluating talent can not afford to make a series of mistakes. Offers more than stars tell you a lot about a kid's potential.

While you believe Uconn's paradigm is different, you don't really explain how it is far different especially in the context of how Uconn's recruiting compares to other AAC schools. The rest of your opinion on BD and the pedigree he is looking at has no factual basis mainly because it does not yet exist. Last years class suggest no major step up in pedigree versus Edsall. Edsall had a couple of recruiting wins every year starting with Dan O before Uconn had a new stadium and playing in Div I.

And for one of the more superior/condescending posters ("I write complex sentences"), look in the mirror and say hello to a dismissive poster.

Finally, do you really want more fun or do you want a championship? Do you want to be better or dominant in the AAC? Baby steps first, but what is your real hope?

Tangible positive steps in recruiting is having a class of kids wher 80% choose Uconn over other sImilar/peer G5 FBS schools, 5% chose Uconn over P5 schools and 15% under the radar/we evaluate talent better kids. Put together 3 classes like that, and I will take the bet on competing for championships. of course I assuming there is a moderate level of coaching talent assembled (tbd as of right now).

Well he did also ignore I didn't say anything bad about the first kid and have never commented on the second kid. So I guess not having any real opinion of them could prove wrong.

Reaction Score

Do you have any historical empirical facts to the last paragraph?

Yes. This is speculation. After watching the last 16 years of UConn recruiting, I dispute your statement about Edsall before Dan O. There are parents that can step up and tell you the facts.

Yes. This is speculation. But QBs in June - well, most QBs from here on should be better than our QB recruiting pre-Diaco. So, I will say ... BINGO ... I take Williams and Davis over the field. As for Dixon? Run a sub 4.5 at 6 foot 3 and look good in a CT HS ... and we have a history of that kind of kid. Will he be good? History shows that we have not been all that successful on this; but, he's still well worth the offer/commitment in June.

We won Championships with a recruiting plan that wasn't what you are whaler11 are evangelizing. The Jarrell Miller; Dwayne Difton; Anoai ... guys.

I do have a fear when you start looking around the AAC and making the OP. We probably - over a 5 year period - face lower recruiting at Syracuse, Rutgers and Pitt in the BE than what we might see at UCF or Houston in the next few years.

Reaction Score
Well he did also ignore I didn't say anything bad about the first kid and have never commented on the second kid. So I guess not having any real opinion of them could prove wrong.

hmm ... is this an SAT question?

Because one can easily deduce your implication from the original post.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
hmm ... is this an SAT question?

Because one can easily deduce your implication from the original post.

Well the post was made before the second kid committed so that's quite a leap you are making.

That I'm making an argument about a macro trend accross a program and you want to assume that it is an argument attempting to predict the future of every individual player... well I can't really stop you even if it's wrong.

Reaction Score

I'm curious on your thoughts of what's the talent/skill differences for your example above between a low/mid MAC or Sunbelt G5 FBS schools and high end FCS schools (besides the obvious nomenclature)?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you have any historical empirical facts to the last paragraph?

Yes. This is speculation. After watching the last 16 years of UConn recruiting, I dispute your statement about Edsall before Dan O. There are parents that can step up and tell you the facts.

Yes. This is speculation. But QBs in June - well, most QBs from here on should be better than our QB recruiting pre-Diaco. So, I will say ... BINGO ... I take Williams and Davis over the field. As for Dixon? Run a sub 4.5 at 6 foot 3 and look good in a CT HS ... and we have a history of that kind of kid. Will he be good? History shows that we have not been all that successful on this; but, he's still well worth the offer/commitment in June.

We won Championships with a recruiting plan that wasn't what you are whaler11 are evangelizing. The Jarrell Miller; Dwayne Difton; Anoai ... guys.

I do have a fear when you start looking around the AAC and making the OP. We probably - over a 5 year period - face lower recruiting at Syracuse, Rutgers and Pitt in the BE than what we might see at UCF or Houston in the next few years.
I should have said that in my opinion you should have a recruiting class with those approximate %s. Superior coaching can overcome subpar recruiting to a certain degree. Inferior coaching can screw up even the best re rucruiting classes. There is ample proof of that.

Reaction Score
Most of you guys who complain about what I post have nothing but personal attacks.

I don't see anyone's mommy here and it doesn't really bother me - I just like to point out that a good number of you don't actually attempt to debate anything football related - but instead take shots at me.

I should probably just give up because the level of reading comprehension for so many here is about zero - but pointing out the macro level recruiting issues this program is experiencing is not a statement or judgment about any one player.

If you think Diaco has magic beans that allows him to beat teams on the field without ever beating them in recruiting... I'd say I'm not surprised you are the type of person who believes in magic beans.

Whaler, you are always wining like these folks, LOL!

Reaction Score
Not a point just adding a little humor to a very old and tired post. Tired of the same old doom and gloom BS. Can't we just have a little hope for the season, players and coaching staff. When a post is started , As bad as the AAC is... you are not setting the tone for anything good.

Try starting the day telling your wife, As bad as you look today...
See where that gets ya!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not a point just adding a little humor to a very old and tired post. Tired of the same old doom and gloom BS. Can't we just have a little hope for the season, players and coaching staff. When a post is started , As bad as the AAC is... you are not setting the tone for anything good.

Try starting the day telling your wife, As bad as you look today...
See where that gets ya!

Maybe real life is different than college football?

Reaction Score
Maybe real life is different than college football?
Or a message board. I stopped caring about FB recruiting rankings at uconn a,while ago. Our conference situation is starting to affect our bb recruiting coming off a national title and with a coach nba superstars endorse.

As far as football I'm with whatever poster said we should of went with an offensive savant this last hire. I'm just hoping someway somehow we start winning.

Reaction Score
The staff "getting a pass" for this may just be us being used to it. We have never beat out our conference mates for recruits consistently. In terms of the percentage of recruits with offers from any FBS school, the percentage of kids in the 2015 class with other offers is exactly that of the 2008 class. The 2007 class had a higher percentage, but several of them (Nixon, Miller, Russell, A.J. Johnson) never made it to campus or never suited up. The 2009 class had 11/21, but 2 of them never showed and 3 of them had only an offer from Army, a clear step down at a time when we were playing in the Big East.

Reaction Score
The Offensive Savant argument, for me, is not a Winner. Not in this snapshot AAC. 3 schools in our other division just went that way. And you're gonna bring a Northeast connected guy here & throw the ball around? Whipple versus Morris, Montgomery, Hermann? And others like East Carolina.

To go ALL whaler11 ... We might be at our lowest point these months in our last 17 years. I don't think Diaco has proved much of anything. I do think - looking at the Greg Robinson & Dave Wannstedt & Paul Pasqualoni scale - there is some room for optimism with some things. (his staff) But the glass half empty view has certainly merit.

We might be also looking at a tough situation in the AAC - IMO. A terribly scorned conference; but, actually better on the field than the reputation. Looking back, some of the BE games were easier tests given all the circumstances.

Recruiting wins with guys who have multiple offers is a fair criticism. But, as Excalibur points out ... Our wins in the last decade of these kids have been illusory. Often they never produced. We can cheer for these kids with 10 offers to come. But, they all have to be the right kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom