Article on Dorka’s development and Geno’s prediction on her future | The Boneyard

Article on Dorka’s development and Geno’s prediction on her future

Reaction Score
This is the money quote for me:
“Conditioning wise, we have to be make sure that she’s can go 30 minutes but more importantly, be able to go five, six, seven minutes in a row and not have three great minutes and then start to dip a little bit,” Auriemma said. “Last year when she was good, she was amazing. But then when the fatigue factor came in, it really affected her.”

It also gives me a new respect for Olivia, whose conditioning never seemed to slip. And I’m reminded of something Andrea Hudy said about working hard with Aaliyah to recover her conditioning last fall.

Sometimes we blow teams out in the first quarter. But our hallmark has always been that we wear them out in the second half because our conditioning is good, and because it’s so tiring to try to run with us. This is what I’m hoping to see again this year.

Reaction Score
Auriemma said. “Last year when she was good, she was amazing. But then when the fatigue factor came in, it really affected her.”

That means when she got tired she was unable to finish around the basket.

Reaction Score
Auriemma said. “Last year when she was good, she was amazing. But then when the fatigue factor came in, it really affected her.”

That means when she got tired she was unable to finish around the basket.
That could explain why she, along with the rest of the team, missed a lot of bunnies last year, conditioning was a factor.

Reaction Score
I am a little surprised by Geno's comments about going 30 minutes, because Dorka averaged over 30 minutes a game in two seasons at Ohio State against largely Big 10 Competition. I think the over/under on if she averages more minutes per game than Liv did last year is a better bet on the over side. 30 is pretty good for a C, as they trend lower in general, but also Dorka for a big is not very foul prone either and that helps her get more minutes too.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am a little surprised by Geno's comments about going 30 minutes, because Dorka averaged over 30 minutes a game in two seasons at Ohio State against largely Big 10 Competition. I think the over/under on if she averages more minutes per game than Liv did last year is a better bet on the over side. 30 is pretty good for a C, as they trend lower in general, but also Dorka for a big is not very foul prone either and that helps her get more minutes too.
I think the point Geno (and confirmed by Dorka) is making is that little injuries cut into her ability to practice and train at 100% so she was never in elite shape. Not sure if she had any issues like that at The (;)) Ohio Stare. You can play 30 minutes but if you are not in elite shape, your play is at best uneven as you tire and mental errors enter the game etc. And for a center expected to bang hard in the post, it is critical.

Reaction Score
Is Azura Stevens a good comp as far as who she could model her game after?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score

Azura was immensely talented but was not a banger inside and was not a capable person-to-person defender. UConn often went zone when she came in.

We need Dorka to be a banger inside and to be able to rebound and defend person-to-person. The other stuff - three point shooting, passing, post moves - are well within her skill set but IMHO are gravy. She needs to be a presence inside on the defensive end to give UConn a shot in the biggest games.

So no, Azura is not a good comp. Not at all.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, Dorka was thinner when she was younger but we shouldn't expect more than 23 minutes or so a game from her anyway. Even top pros don't usually play the whole game and we should have decent depth. I think Geno is just trying to optimize her. I doubt if she averages much more than 25 minutes.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, Dorka was thinner when she was younger but we shouldn't expect more than 23 minutes or so a game from her anyway. Even top pros don't usually play the whole game and we should have decent depth. I think Geno is just trying to optimize her. I doubt if she averages much more than 25 minutes.
I think you're right, and you can see it in Aaliyah Boston's stats. Last year she averaged 27 min/g, and that was the result of a dedicated effort to slim down and build stamina the previous off-season. The year before, she averaged 30/mins/g, and she reported feeling exhausted at the end of games -- which might have figured in their loss to Stanford in the final four that year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would say we need Dorka to be a combination of Rebecca and Pheesa to score and rebound as well as defense. I would make a positive comparison of the present Azure but not the college Azure.

I think it is too much to ask her to be a Dolson because I just don't think she has the size overall (not height) to reach that level of banger in just one more season. I'd leave that role for Edwards and Ice.

I look at the bigs this coming year as a Dorka/Amari look, an Edwards/Ice look, and a Aubrey/Patterson look. Really great versatility to be successful under different circumstances.

Reaction Score
I would say we need Dorka to be a combination of Rebecca and Pheesa to score and rebound as well as defense. I would make a positive comparison of the present Azure but not the college Azure.

I think it is too much to ask her to be a Dolson because I just don't think she has the size overall (not height) to reach that level of banger in just one more season. I'd leave that role for Edwards and Ice.

I look at the bigs this coming year as a Dorka/Amari look, an Edwards/Ice look, and a Aubrey/Patterson look. Really great versatility to be successful under different circumstances.
Very good analysis. Right now the NCAA tournament championship goes through South Carolina. Dorka will need to defend, rebound and at least partially neutralize Boston in a matchup with South Carolina to place Uconn in a winning position. Hopefully, she'll grow her game and be able to do this.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Recall that we played short-handed in most games. With only 6-7 players available in many games, players had more minutes than normal.
They also had stretches when they couldn't practice. Not practicing for a few days and then having to play 30+ minutes is a tough combination.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom