Article on BET | The Boneyard

Article on BET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is absurd. St Johns calls MSG their home not Syracuse.

BTW the new Big East (minus Cuse, WV, plus Memphis, Temple) is projected to have 10 teams in the tournament, the new ACC (plus Cuse) is projected to have 5.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The NYT had this right today. The ACC to MSG is nothing more than smack talk.

The proximity of StJ, RU, SH, VU and Uconn are what make MSG work. Losing Pitt and Wvu hurts because they were good programs which made good and exiciting games. Losing Cuse, hurts doubly because in addition to being a good program they helped fill the building.

After the novelty of year one, the ACC tournament will return to being a yawn fest outside of Duke/UNC. No other conference tournament is worth talking about.

The BET is hurt badly by the defections, but any talk of it losing its MSG date is silly so long as RU.and Uconn are still in the conference.

Would the ACC try a competing tournament in Brooklyn? Maybe, but they risk looking like a chump if the BET out draws them in an All-world CBB tournament smackdown.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Economically, it would be a stupid move for the ACC to move it's tourney to MSG. It would only make sense if UConn and Rutgers were in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I think we're going to see the ACC Tournament moving around a lot more than it has in the past. The Carolina teams will not long be the driving force and geographically the ACC will be more spread out.

Reaction Score
Even with expansion, they'll still have 8 teams within a reasonable drive of Greensboro (the ACC). They're not moving. It's a very large arena and there's too much pull from the 2 biggest draws. They're not going to NYC. People down here won't go into "Yankee Summbitch Territory" for their blessed ACC Tournament.

(UPDATE): I am an idiot. Why is it in Atlanta this year? Atlanta cares about college basketball about as much as Boston does (to say very little)

Reaction Score
The Garden simply rents itself for the week. They'd kick the Big East out for the MAAC if it was a big enough payday. But they're only taking bids for someone who wants the tourney there every year. They're not sending the Big East to Brooklyn, Newark or the Meadowlands for a four year deal just so they can have the ACC one year out of four.

So the first question is would the ACC commit to having the tourney in New York every year? And the answer is heck no. For UNC and Duke, the single biggest money raiser they have is donor demand for ACC tourney tickets. Would the donors love to go to NY every so often? Probably. Every year? Instead of driving to Greensboro. Not in my lifetime.

Swofford was talking trash. It's unfortunate anyone took him seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom