Article: New Members Should get same amount of money in Big East revenue split | The Boneyard

Article: New Members Should get same amount of money in Big East revenue split

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mark Blaudschun, a reporter who covered the Big East for years at the Boston Globe, wrote recently in his blog — ajerseyguy.com — that there is already infighting about how the money will be split between the leftover members of the league (USF, Cincinnati and UConn) and the eight incoming members (UCF, SMU, Memphis, Houston, Temple, East Carolina, Navy and Tulane). Blaudschun and others have reported that the leftover Big East members want to keep as much as 90 percent of the financial windfall while the incoming eight schools will be tossed a few remaining crumbs.

UCF athletics director Todd Stansbury is part of a six-member panel that will meet this week to begin deciding how the money will be split. He told Sentinel reporter Paul Tenorio earlier this week: "We want to obviously consider what has been earned by the three existing Big East schools, and at the same time recognizing it's important that all of our programs are elevated as quickly as they can be. Because at the end of the day, the brand of this conference is going to be determined by our ability to be competitive."

If you're going to establish a brand-new conference, which essentially is what's happening here, everybody must start on equal footing. It would be different if UCF and a couple of other schools were joining an established league that already had a solid nucleus of teams. Then a case could be made that the new members wouldn't deserve much of anything. But the fact is, USF, Cincinnati and UConn wouldn't even have a conference if UCF and the seven other new members weren't joining.

UCF and several of the new members should share equally in the windfall because the league they are joining is not the league they thought they were joining.

Granted, the three leftover Big East schools — USF, Cincinnati and UConn — have suffered from the mass exodus of teams from their league and should be compensated. But they've suffered no more and should be compensated no more than incoming schools like UCF, SMU and Houston.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-03-16/sports/os-mike-bianchi-big-east-payout-0316-20130316_1_todd-stansbury-cincinnati-and-uconn-big-east

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
%K THEM. The contract makes clear they aren't work because the damn networks don't care if they stay or go. They should be lucky their crap programs are going to be on TV, and should thank us for the opportunity. Enough of this non-sense.

Reaction Score
Fugg that. You don't like UCF? Kick rocks, I like Florida Atlantic's stadium better anyway. These dudes need to get real. Watered down basketball? Good luck getting into a league with three programs like UConn, Cincinnati and Temple.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think they have all basically learned just how valuable they are...a network has deemed the vast majority of them essentially worthless.

UConn, Cincy and USF can split the money.

Houston and Temple can have a $1M bonus for somehow attaining "A Group" status. The rest of them can take what they're given or they can call CUSA or the Mountain West or the MAC or whoever they would like to arrange alternative arrangements.

Reaction Score
in what seems to be a constant flow of stupidity particularly from a jersey guy, this is the dumbest idea to date.

Reaction Score
in what seems to be a constant flow of stupidity particular from a jersey guy, this is the dumbest idea to date.

Jersey Guy didn't advocate that (actually the opposite) - this is an editorial comment from a UCF shill (Mike Bianchi, SPORTS COMMENTARY.).

Here is Blauds actual quote from the earlier blog post referenced above - "Cincinnati, USF and UConn deserve money as combat pay for being part of a league which was the most active war zone in college athletics the past 10 years. Seventeen schools have departed the league in the past several years. All of those schools have paid their dues on the front line. Temple, UCF, Memphis, SMU, Tulane, East Carolina, Houston? Not so much."

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Seriously, duck them.

It's bad enough leeches like seton hall and PC took our money for years, now ducking Tulane wants a god damn hand out?

Also, how are we always the bad guys?

Our whole ducking league leaves, the CYO loser schools take the name and brand we created, but we're the bad guys for not wanting to give no name schools like East Carolina the only bit of compensation we've been awarded in this whole mess.

Also, F the Jersey guy. Half the post on here have better grammar and spelling than his blog.

Reaction Score
Somehow, the schools will shake us down. I would hold my ground and never flinch. In the end, if they want to leave they can pay us an exit fee too.

We only need 8 teams. I doubt they all leave and go back to CUSA.

Reaction Score
Jersey Guy didn't advocate that (actually the opposite) - this is an editorial comment from a UCF shill (Mike Bianchi, SPORTS COMMENTARY.).

Here is Blauds actual quote from the earlier blog post referenced above - "Cincinnati, USF and UConn deserve money as combat pay for being part of a league which was the most active war zone in college athletics the past 10 years. Seventeen schools have departed the league in the past several years. All of those schools have paid their dues on the front line. Temple, UCF, Memphis, SMU, Tulane, East Carolina, Houston? Not so much."

Yep, the article was written by Mike Bianchi, who is the beat writer for UCF.

Reaction Score
It wouldn't be a CR headline is someone wasn't trying to *k over Connecticut.
Right on. Who are these jamokes kidding? “Were here to build up the,conference Stop." They would be gone to a better conference just like we would be. So wait your turn more exit fees are likely to your way.

U

UConn9604

Granted, the three leftover Big East schools — USF, Cincinnati and UConn — have suffered from the mass exodus of teams from their league and should be compensated. But they've suffered no more and should be compensated no more than incoming schools like UCF, SMU and Houston.

The final sentence is arguably the most nonsensical sentence I've ever read on this site (and that's saying a lot).

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I hope Mr. Bianchi can see my double-middle fingers from here...

Reaction Score
I simply don't believe this.

You don't believe that there is a school out there more interested in helping itself than doing what is fair or right to others? USF simply wants to see how much they can get, and are using the local reporter to do so. Seriously -- what is there not to believe unless they get it.

Reaction Score
You don't believe that there is a school out there more interested in helping itself than doing what is fair or right to others? USF simply wants to see how much they can get, and are using the local reporter to do so. Seriously -- what is there not to believe unless they get it.

Simply because it is so brazen and illogical. I could never put my name to something so ridiculous.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Regardless of how all of this ends up, I think it's only fair that we carve out a small share for one of our former conference mates, just to let them know that we still care.

Syracuse has a rough road ahead - what with the academic, drug and sexual assault issues they're apparently being investigated for....I say we put aside a few dollars and send them one of those edible bouquets. You know, the kind that arrives with already-too-ripe fruit and slowly spoils in your fridge over a few days.

They may be something of a crime syndicate, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't use a pick-me-up.

Reaction Score
Regardless of how all of this ends up, I think it's only fair that we carve out a small share for one of our former conference mates, just to let them know that we still care.

Syracuse has a rough road ahead - what with the academic, drug and sexual assault issues they're apparently being investigated for....I say we put aside a few dollars and send them one of those edible bouquets. You know, the kind that arrives with already-too-ripe fruit and slowly spoils in your fridge over a few days.

They may be something of a crime syndicate, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't use a pick-me-up.

That sounds like FINE idea to me. We just need to be careful that we don't ROB Peter to pay Paul.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Right on. Who are these jamokes kidding? “Were here to build up the,conference bull ." They would be gone to a better conference just like we would be. So wait your turn more exit fees are likely to your way.

I agree with your post but gave it a "like" solely based on your use of the word Jamoke. My Dad used to use it all the time when I was a kid!

Reaction Score
I think the author confuses earn with extort. The new members of the A12 hane not earned a right to what the old big east has accumulated; but they do have some leverage, so they are in a good position to extort some of it. I would be much more comfortable with the author's position if he would call it what it is.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So wait...there's a panel of members determining how the exit fee money will be doled out? That doesn't sound good for UConn and Cincy. However, if these new schools knew what was best for them they'd want to try and keep UConn and Cincy happy with the slim hope that they stay in this conference longer than a year or two. I dunno how that'd really help but it sounded good....

The bottom line is that the new schools are going to screw us out of money, that we mostly earned with our bball success, and they have NO claim to. This whole thing is such crap. Where are our beat writers doing some work here and publishing our arguments. Where are you Jeff?? Get some pile of crap out there and state UConn's claim. I know SH and WM can't say anything publicly, why are our writers such tools.....

Reaction Score
So wait...there's a panel of members determining how the exit fee money will be doled out? That doesn't sound good for UConn and Cincy.

A committee of six athletic directors – three from the "original" Big East members UConn, Cincinnati and South Florida and three from newcomers SMU, Memphis and Central Florida – will make a recommendation to the league's presidents on how to split the revenue.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
A committee of six athletic directors – three from the "original" Big East members UConn, Cincinnati and South Florida and three from newcomers SMU, Memphis and Central Florida – will make a recommendation to the league's presidents on how to split the revenue.

If those are the decision makers then I propose UConn get 45%, Cincy 35%, USF 10%.

SMU, Memphis and UCF get 2% each and everyone else splits the rest.

These figures seem more than fair if we're truly taking into account what each member has contributed to NCAA athletics as a whole. I think UConn is at the top when academics are concerned too but lets not get this twisted. These dollars are all available based on athletics.

If I'm being honest I'd actually prefer a 55, 25, 10 split between UConn, Cincy and USF.

Tell me if I'm wrong but our Men's Soccer and Women's Field Hockey teams have won more NCAA championships than every one else's entire athletic programs combined, no? It's not even funny if we add both UConn basketball programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom