OT: - Artemis I Tomorrow | The Boneyard

OT: Artemis I Tomorrow

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Going to a helluva sight when this thing takes off tomorrow morning.

1661735360067.png

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My husband is over at Cape Canaveral and says the place is packed. Originally, 100k we’re expected to be on the Space Coast (Cape Canaveral, Cocoa Beach, Melbourne area of Brevard County) but now estimates are for 500k

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Don’t forget Kristen Kreme is having an Artemis doughnut special today only. Grab a couple put one aside as it may be worth a bundle later on. :D

You gonna do that and not describe the donut? You think everyone has Google at their fingertips and cam for it on their own?

Cheesecake filled with cookie and creme icing with cookie crumbles on top.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My husband is over at Cape Canaveral and says the place is packed. Originally, 100k we’re expected to be on the Space Coast (Cape Canaveral, Cocoa Beach, Melbourne area of Brevard County) but now estimates are for 500k

Hope there's a lot of Krispy Kreme's around there to keep them at bay while they figure out communications and fuel leaks.

Reaction Score
Can successfully send a rocket to the moon (and beyond), but can't won't make a car to last 9 months without needing some type of repair or fix.

End of rant

By the way 60k lbs, what the hell are they planning on building up there?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Can successfully send a rocket to the moon (and beyond), but can't won't make a car to last 9 months without needing some type of repair or fix.

End of rant

By the way 60k lbs, what the hell are they planning on building up there?

Welp, not the best timing with this complaint since the SLS is broke and not launching today.

As to your larger point, they could make most things on cars last longer but consumers get caught up on sticker price and many don't do enough research on sustainment costs of vehicle ownership- depreciation, oil changes and servicing, tire costs, software subscriptions and updates, quality of build materials and quality of assembly lines, etc.....

And they're not building anything with this (eventual) launch. It is strictly a proof of concept for the technology and a bunch of sensors on some dummies. It's shooting to vthe moon, doing a few laps and then landing in the Pacific.

Reaction Score
Welp, not the best timing with this complaint since the SLS is broke and not launching today.

As to your larger point, they could make most things on cars last longer but consumers get caught up on sticker price and many don't do enough research on sustainment costs of vehicle ownership- depreciation, oil changes and servicing, tire costs, software subscriptions and updates, quality of build materials and quality of assembly lines, etc.....

And they're not building anything with this (eventual) launch. It is strictly a proof of concept for the technology and a bunch of sensors on some dummies. It's shooting to vthe moon, doing a few laps and then landing in the Pacific.

That's all it's doing?

Anyway good news for Krispy Kreme as they will get a trail day today and then a relaunch when Artemis decides to pass the test. For now it's kinda like @Kitaman and his car after 9 months.

Reaction Score

Furthermore, a car is a machine that (sometimes) gets a lot of use in (sometimes) harsh conditions. Machines with moving parts will wear out, and break if the wear components aren't replaced in time. I'm actually pretty impressed with the safety and reliability of cars nowadays. (Don't get me wrong, though. A big service or repair bill is unpleasant any way you slice it.)

Not for nothing, my Chevy Bolt is 4 years old, and all I've done is changed tires and cabin air filter. Just saying.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Furthermore, a car is a machine that (sometimes) gets a lot of use in (sometimes) harsh conditions. Machines with moving parts will wear out, and break if the wear components aren't replaced in time. I'm actually pretty impressed with the safety and reliability of cars nowadays. (Don't get me wrong, though. A big service or repair bill is unpleasant any way you slice it.)

Not for nothing, my Chevy Bolt is 4 years old, and all I've done is changed tires and cabin air filter. Just saying.

Not for nothing but most cars are built to go 400k-500k miles nowadays if properly serviced.

That Bolt of yours? According to Chevy you should either start saving money for a new battery or a new car.

There's different warranty levels on the battery packs; regardless, you're going to pay for it when it's time for replacement.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing but most cars are built to go 400k-500k miles nowadays if properly serviced.

That Bolt of yours? According to Chevy you should either start saving money for a new battery or a new car.

There's different warranty levels on the battery packs; regardless, you're going to pay for it when it's time for replacement.

I know that battery replacement cost has become a talking point against EVs lately, but I think it's disingenuous. As far as I can tell, it's like telling someone how much a complete engine replacement will cost for their ICE car. Sure, it's an amount that is unreasonable to pay for a repair of a car of the age that it would be at the time that such a repair was required, but so what? When that happens, the car either goes for recycling, or, if it's the rare case that the car is otherwise in such good condition that an engine replacement is worth it, then the engine is replaced.

I'm not saying there aren't real issues at play that must be analyzed and dealt with. I am just saying that the "Battery replacement is expensive. Checkmate!" narrative is naïve at best.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I know that battery replacement cost has become a talking point against EVs lately, but I think it's disingenuous. As far as I can tell, it's like telling someone how much a complete engine replacement will cost for their ICE car. Sure, it's an amount that is unreasonable to pay for a repair of a car of the age that it would be at the time that such a repair was required, but so what? When that happens, the car either goes for recycling, or, if it's the rare case that the car is otherwise in such good condition that an engine replacement is worth it, then the engine is replaced.

I'm not saying there aren't real issues at play that must be analyzed and dealt with. I am just saying that the "Battery replacement is expensive. Checkmate!" narrative is naïve at best.

Not my clowns, not my circus but for me it's more the short time before the replacement rather than the replacement cost. If you own an ICE an have to replace the engine at 300K, that's a legit question.

No one expects a full engine replacement at 100k-150k miles.

None of that matters to me.

Reaction Score
Not my clowns, not my circus but for me it's more the short time before the replacement rather than the replacement cost. If you own an ICE an have to replace the engine at 300K, that's a legit question.

No one expects a full engine replacement at 100k-150k miles.

None of that matters to me.
Well sure, but who says the battery needs to be replaced at 100k-150k, or any other number? The article you shared says Bolts haven't been around long enough to know, but mentions an anecdote of one that went 300k with no signs of battery deterioration. In any event, I'm not accusing you of bad faith at all. It's just that you bought up an issue that I've seen used in bad faith a lot lately, so I wanted to address the nuances of the situation.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
chevy rules.
NASA rules.

pro tip, rechargeable batteries anywhere, for max longevity.
20/80. recharge when it's under 20%, don't when it's over 80%, as a general rule.
i'll leave it at that.

Reaction Score
That's all it's doing?

Actually they have about 10 mini-satellites they will drop off at the moon or continue on to other destinations. Those will measure ration, check for water head out for an asteroid, etc. More details below.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom