Army Navy Today | The Boneyard

Army Navy Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Some neat trivia. Army's last win? Couldn't even brag about it on FB because it hadn't been invented yet. And Jordan was playing for the Wizards.

http://soldiers.dodlive.mil/2015/12/little-known-facts-about-the-army-navy-game/

Like this piece of information the best. At the end of the day, it's just a game and there's a good chance these players will work side by side with the other service in the future.

The cadets and middies have a full schedule throughout the semester. Taking time to learn and memorize your opponents alma mater requires respect and attention.

Following the game, players sing both teams’ alma maters. The winning team joins the losing team, and sings facing the losing team’s students. Then the losing team joins the victors on their side of the field and sings the winner’s alma mater to its students. This act is a show of mutual respect and solidarity.

Reaction Score
It's been a great effort by Army but the turnovers have killed them. QB has had a real mixed bag of results. Just missed a guy streaking down the middle wide open in favor of a floater int by the sideline. That hurts.

Reaction Score
Great effort, but one too many trick plays. Receiver had 3 defenders closing on him.

Reaction Score
Great effort, but one too many trick plays. Receiver had 3 defenders closing on him.

Throw long you are never wrong, Army hands Navy another one. Army stopped the run well today. Their D did all it could. My Dad was in the Army, the Wifes in the Subs. I got a kiss on the head with "maybe next year" GRRRR!

Reaction Score
Great game to watch. Forget about Army not beating Navy since before Facebook was created, the Cadet's last victory with a losing record occurred in the 19th century: 1899. Credit: CBS

Reaction Score
Blame this one on the coaching staff. The trick play was a huge mistake. Army had just made a first down. About 3 min left.
1. By putting ball in non QB's hands he was less apt to hold his fire. The receiver was well covered but he threw it anyway--as the play call demanded.
2. And had Army scored right then it would have left too much time for Navy.
On brink of ending 14 game losing streak and blew it.

Reaction Score
Went to the gme for the first time. What a spectacle Army/Navy is. One of the best sporting events I've ever been to. The game was icing on the cake.

Reaction Score
Blame this one on the coaching staff. The trick play was a huge mistake. Army had just made a first down. About 3 min left.
1. By putting ball in non QB's hands he was less apt to hold his fire. The receiver was well covered but he threw it anyway--as the play call demanded.
2. And had Army scored right then it would have left too much time for Navy.
On brink of ending 14 game losing streak and blew it.

The Army QB was having his way over the middle or even throwing those 5 yard outs.

Keep doing it until it doesn't work.

The coach over thought it .

Reaction Score
The Army QB was having his way over the middle or even throwing those 5 yard outs.

Keep doing it until it doesn't work.

The coach over thought it .

They have to be beating themselves up over that decision. Young men gave everything they had. Wanted to see them inside the 20 the place would have gone nuts.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They have to be beating themselves up over that decision. Young men gave everything they had. Wanted to see them inside the 20 the place would have gone nuts.

Hopefully a bunch of future young infantry officers who were playing yesterday will learn from the decision.

Tactics matter, strategy matters, execution matters, knowing your personnel and their capabilities matters.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Hopefully a bunch of future young infantry officers who were playing yesterday will learn from the decision.

Tactics matter, strategy matters, execution matters, knowing your personnel and their capabilities matters.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Couple of observations-

1. the missed FG in the 4 th qtr killed Army - there is no flea flicker if they are down 1 point.
2. The freshman Army qb is good and I hope Army takes a step forward next year.
3. Stunned the game was this close based on the season performance of both teams.
4. Even with a slow punt returner(Poe), you can return punts with good blocking. HCBD - did you see that?

Reaction Score
Couple of observations-

1. the missed FG in the 4 th qtr killed Army - there is no flea flicker if they are down 1 point.
2. The freshman Army qb is good and I hope Army takes a step forward next year.
3. Stunned the game was this close based on the season performance of both teams.
4. Even with a slow punt returner(Poe), you can return punts with good blocking. HCBD - did you see that?
The missed FG was key. Totally changed the strategy of Army their last three possessions. The kicked looked good from where we were sitting but was clearly wide. Poe's first kick return in the first quarter was a thing of beauty. He must have run nearly 90 yard and got caught from behind as he ran out of gas.

As I said in an earlier post, yesterday might have been the best sporting event I have ever been to. Glad I was able to get the Army/Navy game off my bucket list. My brother and nephew meet at The Rent at 7am and drove down. Watched the game and drove back and I was in bed at 11:45pm the same day. I'd do it again if, and only if, it's 65 degrees and sunny. It was just an amazing day.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) Those Navy helmets...no one will ever top those.

2) Army is our local team and I grew up as an Army fan. The AAC had me rooting for Navy to start, but it was impossible not to quickly move to the Black Knights. Just a heartbreaking end for them - they had a tremendous game plan and just made too many mistakes late.

3) If you've never been, go to an Army-Navy game. You quickly realize how ridiculous people like Dick Vitale sound when they claim Duke-UNC or some other nonsense is the greatest rivalry in college sports.

4) On a semi-related note, go to a Lehigh-Lafayette football game. That is the drunkest rivalry in college sports.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

2) Army is our local team and I grew up as an Army fan. The AAC had me rooting for Navy to start, but it was impossible not to quickly move to the Black Knights. Just a heartbreaking end for them - they had a tremendous game plan and just made too many mistakes late.

3) If you've never been, go to an Army-Navy game. You quickly realize how ridiculous people like Dick Vitale sound when they claim Duke-UNC or some other nonsense is the greatest rivalry in college sports.

4) On a semi-related note, go to a Lehigh-Lafayette football game. That is the drunkest rivalry in college sports.

4. Been to several of them. And a few Easton/Pburg games HS games. Had a lot of family in Easton.

I'm guessing they get really drunk because they're studying engineering and don't party much during the semester to build up tolerance?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
upload_2015-12-13_13-38-16.png

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

Fishy - this is one of the best quotes I've seen re The Game. My hubby is a USNA grad, so with your permission, I'd like to use #3 quote.

Reaction Score

I explained to my 14 year old nephew at the game that this might be the biggest sporting event he will ever go to. With game as good as it was, I might be right for once.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Fishy - this is one of the best quotes I've seen re The Game. My hubby is a USNA grad, so with your permission, I'd like to use #3 quote.

Of course.

But I require that you mime air quotes every time you do.

Reaction Score
Army played out of their minds, especially on defense. They had to be huge underdogs.

Just came back from West Point on a corporate leadership program. Unbelievable place with unbelievable people. I am sure Annapolis is the same way. We owe much to these young men and women and they played one hell of a football game yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom