Arms Race | The Boneyard

Arms Race

Reaction Score
Screenshot_2024-05-22-09-10-13-02_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Reaction Score
Ridiculous amount of money going into college football now- As most have said...it has turned into the G league for NFL

Reaction Score
I think 100 Million was recently proposed to renovate Gampel. This seems like a bargain compared to that.

Reaction Score
It shows how profitable college football can be if done right.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Ridiculous amount of money going into college football now- As most have said...it has turned into the G league for NFL
Money scale might be different, but big time hoops is becoming the same as far as player development goes. Two of my kids went to the former Big10, Michigan and Northwestern (which actually beat UM twice while they were in school). Now NU is building a new stadium smaller than The Rent. UM is a whole other world.

While I’ve never been inside the PSU stadium, I’ve been by it and thought it dominated the surrounding landscape, not in a nice way. The Big House, being a bowl, is far less obtrusive.

Reaction Score
The price tag gives an idea how much is involved to turn the Rent into a Power 4 stadium. Much better to build a new stadium in Storrs.
I'm not sure that the price tag for renovations at Beaver Stadium is representative of the costs that UConn would incur to update The Rent. First and foremost, Beaver Stadium is over twice the capacity of The Rent. It is also an older structure badly in need of infrastructure updates that go far beyond cosmetic. I'm talking narrow concourses, p*** troughs and no hot water in the bathrooms, an ancient press box, far too little in terms of luxury boxes or premium seating. These needs have to be addressed in order to host potential playoff games.

While addressing these legit issues the school decided to improve the facade of the building to make it both more cosmetically appealing and technologically relevant to the era that we are currently living in. Penn Staters are a bit split on this, as many appreciate the aesthetic of the old gray battleship rising up out of the rolling pastureland that surrounds it. That will take some getting used to for sure, but ultimately it's for the best. The rent obviously needs maintenance, but adding additional seating and improving technology in the stadium would be a fraction of the cost of building a new stadium on campus.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that the price tag for renovations at Beaver Stadium is representative of the costs that UConn would incur to update The Rent. First and foremost, Beaver Stadium is over twice the capacity of The Rent. It is also an older structure badly in need of infrastructure updates that go far beyond cosmetic. I'm talking narrow concourses, p*** troughs and no hot water in the bathrooms, an ancient press box, far too little in terms of luxury boxes or premium seating. These needs have to be addressed in order to host potential playoff games.

While addressing these legit issues the school decided to improve the facade of the building to make it both more cosmetically appealing and technologically relevant to the era that we are currently living in. Penn Staters are a bit split on this, as many appreciate the aesthetic of the old gray battleship rising up out of the rolling pastureland that surrounds it. That will take some getting used to for sure, but ultimately it's for the best. The rent obviously needs maintenance, but adding additional seating and improving technology in the stadium would be a fraction of the cost of building a new stadium on campus.
Even if some consultants tell us to spend $200 to $300M on the Rent (which is a conservative estimate) to provide UConn an up to date Power 4 stadium, would you rather put it into an aging complex located 40 minutes or more away from the campus or would you rather spend a bit more and get a complex that students could walk to and could be used for a single university graduation.

Reaction Score
For purposes of comparison, Univ Nebraska is planning to spend $450 million to renovate their football stadium. USF's brand new stadium is estimated at between $200M to $400M. The high end for a new stadium is $800M at Northwestern.

Reaction Score
Even if some consultants tell us to spend $200 to $300M on the Rent (which is a conservative estimate) to provide UConn an up to date Power 4 stadium, would you rather put it into an aging complex located 40 minutes or more away from the campus or would you rather spend a bit more and get a complex that students could walk to and could be used for a single university graduation.
Will the Ladies Garden Club of Mansfield allow that?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
For purposes of comparison, Univ Nebraska is planning to spend $450 million to renovate their football stadium. USF's brand new stadium is estimated at between $200M to $400M. The high end for a new stadium is $800M at Northwestern.
Btw re-Nebraska renovation, that is also only for some cosmetic and experience related stuff (WiFi, seatbacks, connecting the stadium so you can walk all the way around inside, etc) and limited to only the East and West sidelines. They’ll have to do a separate project for South Stadium as well on top of the $450

Reaction Score
There are only six home games a year, and if UConn makes it into the ACC one of them could very well be played at Fenway or MetLife. Not a huge impact on Mansfield Center.
Hey - let’s go build a new $350-$400M+ stadium on campus and then agree to play one of the home games in Boston or New York - that’s a hellava selling point.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think 100 Million was recently proposed to renovate Gampel. This seems like a bargain compared to that.
it was 300 million for a complete renovation.

Reaction Score
Getting private equity involved in college sports is beyond obscene. Everything is a money grab - colleges, coaches, players, investors, sports books. A great uniquely American amateur sport once done for love of the game and thrill of victory is reduced to this garbage. There is a piece of me that says just go to FCS and screw the madness.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Getting private equity involved in college sports is beyond obscene. Everything is a money grab - colleges, coaches, players, investors, sports books. A great uniquely American amateur sport once done for love of the game and thrill of victory is reduced to this garbage. There is a piece of me that says just go to FCS and screw the madness.
The plus side of private equity getting involved will be the money grabs (at least as it pertains to the colleges and their coaches & players) will no longer be an issue as once the PE forms are done with it there won't be any money left over for the colleges, coaches or players.

Reaction Score
Will the Ladies Garden Club of Mansfield allow that?
I would be against it. Why ruin a nice rural part of Connecticut for mediocre football at best. Plus the fact that Storrs is hard to get to would be another. Bulldozing hundreds of home to create a highway/widening roads would be a 25 year legal battle and would cost the state probably over a billion dollars (guessing on time frames and amounts, but what I mean is it will be hell of allot more than just building a stadium) Imagine 40K people descending on the infrastructure of Storrs and surrounding areas without major updates.

Reaction Score
I would be against it. Why ruin a nice rural part of Connecticut for mediocre football at best. Plus the fact that Storrs is hard to get to would be another. Bulldozing hundreds of home to create a highway/widening roads would be a 25 year legal battle and would cost the state probably over a billion dollars (guessing on time frames and amounts, but what I mean is it will be hell of allot more than just building a stadium) Imagine 40K people descending on the infrastructure of Storrs and surrounding areas without major updates.

They could save money by using parts from the route 11 expansion and bridge.

Reaction Score
Ideally you would have a stadium on campus easily accessible to students, however I was under the impression from reading this board that the local townships would shoot down any major construction near campus. My comments were basically comparing the costs of renovating The Rent vs. Beaver Stadium. Theoretically a really nice renovation could be done at The Rent for a fraction of the cost of renovating Beaver Stadium due simply to the size and scope of each project.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom