Arkeel Newsome | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Arkeel Newsome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While I think Newsome has a world of potential, it doesn't seem to be as a KO returner. Some guys have the knack. Larry Taylor was brilliant at it. Some other guys who have what seems to be the ideal KO return package, never seem to really make the first guy miss. Not saying that Newsome can't make himself into a great returner but he wasn't a natural one last year.

As a running back, he has already broken more tackles than McCombs did in his career. McCombs went down on first contact. Newsome has already shown more balance and toughness. He has all the makings of a weapon.

Reaction Score
Ideally we would see Newsome and Johnson have similar roles to Sproles and LT back in the good ole days. I disagree with Palatine, I think that Newsome has a high ceiling as a returner. It seemed last year he had difficulty deciding which side and hole to take, that comes with the whole experience thing. Holes to run through close up alot faster at this level then they did in HS, got to trust your instinct and just go. I'd love to see him take one back to the house on Sept 3rd, and it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Well, one of his fumbles, I can't remember against who, was all on (lack of) blocking where he was hit just as he got the ball on a pitch. Walter Payton would have fumbled it. But besides that, many years ago in the YanCon , UConn incredibly got a kid named Raymond James from Louisiana. Rushing numbers like Newsome in HS, national class sprinter and other football skills. He fumbled enough early in his career that they ultimately made him a receiver because he could blow by everyone. The point being, if you looked at their high school records and how many really long runs both had, they obviously weren't being hit often and rarely very hard. They needed to adjust to it in college. I thought they gave up on James too soon, and I hope Newsome is given the chance to see if he can hang on better.

I was at the barbecue the team held last month for season's ticket holders. They were in uniform. What impressed me about Newsome was that he is really put together. His height is a non-factor. I actually thought that all of the RBs were very strong looking. Also, Knappe is one damn large human being. It scares me that there are people we play against that can actually push him around.

Reaction Score
My wife and I walked around the football field Arkeel did most of his damage in HS for our morning walk before work today... Here's hoping the strides he made there will become a part of UCONN football just as much as there, starting this season... I think we're in for a treat the next 3 years with him touching the rock...

Reaction Score
My view is that Johnson is far and away the best of the running backs. No one else is even close. The others all have some skills but none have the combination he does. Plus he was far more polished as a runner. That's why I think Newsome will be ultimately most effective in situations, as a return guy and lined up where they can get him the ball in space. If you have a weapon like Johnson you don't not use him.

Reaction Score
Glad to be totally wrong. But, I think you could tell Todman, Brown, Dixon and Caulley were special within about 20 carries of their careers. Now, I'll grant they never had to run behind the kind of lines we have experienced in the last few years. I'd like nothing more to see another great back in Newsome. Just did not see that special spark last year.

I'm pretty sure if you take the time and go back and watch our current #22 with the ball in his hands - you'll see that he's just as electric, if not more than any back we've had. The key - is keeping the ball in his hands. When the ball comes out, everything that happened before doesn't matter anymore, and maybe that's why you don't remember what he's capable of.

Reaction Score
My view is that Johnson is far and away the best of the running backs. No one else is even close. The others all have some skills but none have the combination he does. Plus he was far more polished as a runner. That's why I think Newsome will be ultimately most effective in situations, as a return guy and lined up where they can get him the ball in space. If you have a weapon like Johnson you don't not use him.

I agree. Newsome should not be ran between the tackles. He should be given the ball in space on the outsides with short screens or tosses and just let him make plays.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget that this kid went straight from NVL to D1 competition. I dont care what his HS stats looked like, anyone who didn't think there would be growing pains last year is insane. I expect to see some strides made this year and in coming years. I really think the rb position is the least of our worries. Serious thunder & lightening potential.

Reaction Score
BTW, let's not forget Arkeel had over 1,000 all purpose yards as a true frosh.. not too shabby.... even if we had the worst offense in the FBS last year.

Reaction Score
Ideally we would see Newsome and Johnson have similar roles to Sproles and LT back in the good ole days. I disagree with Palatine, I think that Newsome has a high ceiling as a returner. It seemed last year he had difficulty deciding which side and hole to take, that comes with the whole experience thing. Holes to run through close up alot faster at this level then they did in HS, got to trust your instinct and just go. I'd love to see him take one back to the house on Sept 3rd, and it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

I didn't say that Newsome couldn't be a great returner. In fact, I said it is still possible for him to develop into one.

I just noted that he didn't look like a natural returner in 2014. He was stopped at the 20 time after time. His first move didn't get him to open space.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
While I think Newsome has a world of potential, it doesn't seem to be as a KO returner. Some guys have the knack. Larry Taylor was brilliant at it. Some other guys who have what seems to be the ideal KO return package, never seem to really make the first guy miss. Not saying that Newsome can't make himself into a great returner but he wasn't a natural one last year.
That's fair. Those folks trying to make a big deal out of his all purpose yards need to stop. The number was almost totally aquired by KO returns and his average per return was ranked 92nd in FBS. His longest return is tied for DFL. Watching from the stands, I always felt we would be better off if he took a knee.

Reaction Score
I suppose it's not possible or probable that our blocking on kick returns sucked? I may be hallucinating but I recall a kick being returned for a TD, then getting called back because of a penalty. I don't remember when or who. Never mind, couldn't be important.

Reaction Score
I suppose it's not possible or probable that our blocking on kick returns sucked? I may be hallucinating but I recall a kick being returned for a TD, then getting called back because of a penalty. I don't remember when or who. Never mind, couldn't be important.
I recall a few, or at least 2-3 very good ones called back. I think he had one over midfield called back in the opener. I remember another long one, not sure it was a touchdown though, called back too. Maybe Boise game?

Reaction Score
I don't really remember. Like Will Munny in the Unforgiven, last season, I don't recollect that much, I was drunk most of the time. Now that I think of it, the example I was specifically thinking of I think was a kick coverage and not return, didn't we have one where we recovered a fumble for a TD and it got called back? That wouldn't have anything to do with this discussion though.

Whatever - Newsome needs to prove 2 things to be part of the regular offense, according to me, and that's #1 demonstrating reliable ball security both in practices and games, and #2, showing enough knowledge of the offense to be able to on the field and pick up blocking assignments and protections out of the backfield.

It seems from what coach has said, that he's going to get his chances early to work his way into the offense.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Brown went to WestHill CI in Toronto. Played weak competition. 111 was against King Academy.That's like Uconn playing Simsbury High. I seem to remember Ansonia being a pretty good team in a competitive league. Newsome was a Parade AA. He will be dynamic and explosive this year. And unlike Lyle McCombs, Newsome will get the ball in open space a lot.
And he cost us in the Mason game.
LOL.

Gblow8690

The So Called Troll
Reaction Score
Surprised there are so many haters on Newsome!!! The kid was a true freshman playing the second toughest position in football for us. Of course the kid needs to block better as he probably never blocked in high school and being a 165lb kid straight out of high school isn't easy. Not sure what you guys saw but nobody on the team is even close to being electric as this kid. If you wanna run the ball 2 yards at a time then Johnson is your man, if you want a chance to go the distance then the only guy who can do that is newsome and despite his size he always seemed to fall forward. I don't know about all of you but I am tired of this vanilla offense. Get it into the hands of playmakers.

Reaction Score
Surprised there are so many haters on Newsome!!! The kid was a true freshman playing the second toughest position in football for us. Of course the kid needs to block better as he probably never blocked in high school and being a 165lb kid straight out of high school isn't easy. Not sure what you guys saw but nobody on the team is even close to being electric as this kid. If you wanna run the ball 2 yards at a time then Johnson is your man, if you want a chance to go the distance then the only guy who can do that is newsome and despite his size he always seemed to fall forward. I don't know about all of you but I am tired of this vanilla offense. Get it into the hands of playmakers.

You live in the valley. Dontcha?

Reaction Score
Gblow8690 said:

I'm not a hater. And I think Newsome will be really good. But when I was in HS Hamden was a decent class LL team. Derby was unbeatable in class S and we stomped them. Last year was likely a wake up call. He should be bigger, stronger, faster this year. But last year he was in over his head. Given that we ended up 2-10 he probably should have redshirted.

Reaction Score

But I think Ron Johson is gonna be great too! Kind of like Thunder and Lightening! NY Giants Ron Dayne & Tiki Barber in the the early 2,000's!

image.jpg

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
But I think Ron Johson is gonna be great too! Kind of like Thunder and Lightening! NY Giants Ron Dayne & Tiki Barber in the the early 2,000's!

View attachment 10233

Tim Boyle is Tom Brady, our 3 QBs are Braxton Miller/J.T. Barrett/Cardale Jones, and now this...I have to hand it to you, at least you're consistent.

Reaction Score
That's fair. Those folks trying to make a big deal out of his all purpose yards need to stop. The number was almost totally aquired by KO returns and his average per return was ranked 92nd in FBS. His longest return is tied for DFL. Watching from the stands, I always felt we would be better off if he took a knee.

To me he always looked tentative on returns -- never seemed like he was going full speed.

Reaction Score
Tim Boyle is Tom Brady, our 3 QBs are Braxton Miller/J.T. Barrett/Cardale Jones, and now this...I have to hand it to you, at least you're consistent.

You're consistently obnoxious. Noting that Ohio State won with their third string QB does not compare Garrett Anderson with Cardale Jones. It simply makes a case that the Buckeyes went through 3 QB's last year and ran the table. Also, you had better have more than one talented QB. The comparison of Brady to Boyle was the fact that Brady did nothing until his Junior year at Michigan. You stretch things like that long neck in the picture.

Last edited:

Gblow8690

The So Called Troll
Reaction Score
I'm not a hater. And I think Newsome will be really good. But when I was in HS Hamden was a decent class LL team. Derby was unbeatable in class S and we stomped them. Last year was likely a wake up call. He should be bigger, stronger, faster this year. But last year he was in over his head. Given that we ended up 2-10 he probably should have redshirted.
Sadly Hamden probably couldn't beat a good class S school anymore

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Actually I am not from the Valley. Just root for CT kids to do well. Do you need to be from the Valley to see he is our biggest big play threat on the team?

There's a difference between being supportive of local kids and having a bias that prevents accurately analyzing their skills and weaknesses. Newsome is talented as all hell, but he's not playing if he doesn't hold onto the rock. I also think you're way underselling Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom