Are you kidding me? Ole Miss hires Quentin Hillsman | The Boneyard

Are you kidding me? Ole Miss hires Quentin Hillsman

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
You ought to check out coach Yo's statement - it was ludicrous.

So let me translate:
I won't listen to any criticism, no matter how reasonable or constructive.
Moral relatavism is convenient for me.
I exercise no discretion in the company I keep and the people I value.
I'm a walking HR/legal nightmare because apparently I don't realize that as a supervisor "see no evil" doesn't cut it as a legal defense when the employees I supervise violate the law.

Cool cool cool.

Reaction Score
IMG_0689.jpeg

Reaction Score
There are several posts on this in the coaching carousel thread.

Even Shakira Austin is laughing at the hire.

Reaction Score
You ought to check out coach Yo's statement - it was ludicrous.
To top up my reply to this post on the other thread, I wouldn't call that a statement. That was jibberish. All posturing for her followers before the news comes out but it has absolutely no substance.

Reaction Score
I appreciate when people outside the area recognize we are two different schools.
One of my dear friends is an Ole Miss grad (he's really big on football) but I'm Miss State all the way because I'm a huge fan of Sam Purcell.

Back on topic - that is a horrible hire. Who would want their daughter (or in my case granddaughter) to be associated with that guy?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The allegations unearthed against Coach Q in the independent report were indicative of a coach who clearly had not been aware of the sign' of the times changing...or wasn't interested in them. Has he recognized he needed to change? Taken courses, sought counseling? Enough to be trusted with coaching young women on a day-to-day basis? That's one aspect of this case.

The other is the doubling down by the Ole Miss administration and Coach Yo. Their responses could be considered farcical if it didn't affect peoples' lives. Coach Yo offered 4 tidbits of advice to others. I'll focus on two (with my comments in):
1. Normalize not speaking to me if you speak about me negatively.
(And that includes my program. I don't care if I'm a highly paid state employee. Don't dare question me.)

4. Don’t tell me what you heard! I’m good not knowing
(Heard? How about reading a report that got Coach Q let go from Syracuse? BTW, as @TheFarmFan and others have noted, that attitude will cost your HR and legal team millions when a suit is launched)

I'm hoping (praying?) Coach Q has turned a corner. What concerns me just as much -- if not more in this case -- is Coach Yo and Ole Miss do not seem to care and that might impact the young women she's supposed to help grow.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Yo's post, and other of her social media pronouncements, definitely give a "high on my own supply" vibe: I'm successful, how dare you question me.

Pride goeth ...
Yes, the B-52's touched on that condition: "You're living in your own private Idaho..."
Their song was farcical...too bad this situation isn't.

Reaction Score
I’ve been very pleased with the trajectory Ole Miss has been on with Coach Yo and I will cheer for OM in situations like the tourney despite the rivalry (too many family and friends on that side). Im against this like most people and believe the optics are even worse. Q may have learned his lessons but the doubling down by the school makes it worse.

Yes OM hired Beard for the men’s team and it remains a bad look but to me this is worse. I suspect push back will continue to happen.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that Q won't actually keep this job once the heat turns up on Ole Miss.

From the Athletic article:

"Ole Miss shouldn’t be held up as a moral compass given it’s the same athletic department that hired Chris Beard, who was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence (felony domestic charges were ultimately dismissed), to coach its men’s basketball team and D.J. Durkin — after he was placed on administrative leave and fired by Maryland following the death of one of his players — to assistant coach its football team. McPhee-McCuin has difficult questions to answer about why Hillsman — three years removed from a resignation at Syracuse amid a third-party investigation that found “a concerning number of players and managers” who described “an unhealthy environment and culture” — was the right person for this job."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom