April 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | The Boneyard

April 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
New month, new commit! Caroline, with my girl, Saylor. Welcome!!

1585880174273.png

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Kiki Iriafen the LA Daily News player of the year:

If dominating doesn’t describe her game, unstoppable does.

Iriafen is an elite finisher around the basket and exudes remarkable mental toughness when finishing through contact. She might miss the first shot attempt, but it’s likely she’ll get it back. Iriafen averaged seven offensive rebounds per game this season and shot 228 free throws — the most on the team by 104 attempts.

Slapped, hit, scratched and clawed, the standout junior was unfazed and continued to work — she shot 56 percent from the field.

Several top NCAA women’s basketball programs are recruiting Iriafen, including local power UCLA and national power Connecticut, which tops a list of high-level programs.

Reaction Score
Kiki Iriafen the LA Daily News player of the year:

If dominating doesn’t describe her game, unstoppable does.

Iriafen is an elite finisher around the basket and exudes remarkable mental toughness when finishing through contact. She might miss the first shot attempt, but it’s likely she’ll get it back. Iriafen averaged seven offensive rebounds per game this season and shot 228 free throws — the most on the team by 104 attempts.

Slapped, hit, scratched and clawed, the standout junior was unfazed and continued to work — she shot 56 percent from the field.

Several top NCAA women’s basketball programs are recruiting Iriafen, including local power UCLA and national power Connecticut, which tops a list of high-level programs.

Not seeing Stanford listed keeps me somewhat hopeful but I just got a bad feeling about this. BTW, how seriously can we take the rankings that have Reese #2 and this kid #9?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Amari DeBerry named the All-Bee player of the year:

“She’s a dominant player and can make a lot happen on the floor,” Dolan said. “Besides scoring and rebounding, she’s an exceptional passer. She draws a lot of attention, is able to recognize the double and triple teams, and loves feeding her teammates.”

“She is not only a hard worker, but an outstanding leader,” Dolan said. “I saw her really mature into a player who was great with the younger girls coming up through the program. She was very kind, understanding, positive, and always wanted to include them. She would be available to them on and off the court. It was like having another coach out on the floor.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
@Sluconn Husky thanks for the article. This really caught my eye:

"The Hamburg game was the first time Auriemma attended one of DeBerry’s high school contests, but he had attended many of her AAU contests.

“I was a little nervous, but it all worked out well,” De- Berry said.

“They have a cool relationship,” Dolan said. “He is always staying up with how she is doing and continues to give her advice and encouragement.”

We hear this quite often don't we. He says he doesn't need an 18 year old friends, but he really knows how to relate to these young athletes. Way back when recruit Rebecca Lobo said she found him genuine and easy to talk to. That's still going strong.

So I'm thanking Geno for this commit from Caroline.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, a Nika report:

So wonder if you could fill me in on what kind of league Muhl is playing in. She's not getting paid, so retaining amateur status. Is this like a "B" league in soccer? Is there an age cut-off, so that these are younger players? Or is she in the Big Time with her team?

Curious. Sorry for not having a clue...

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
So wonder if you could fill me in on what kind of league Muhl is playing in. She's not getting paid, so retaining amateur status. Is this like a "B" league in soccer? Is there an age cut-off, so that these are younger players? Or is she in the Big Time with her team?

from wiki;
WABA League, commonly known as the Adriatic League also known as the BTravel WABA League for name sponsorship reasons, is a top-level regional basketball league, featuring female teams from Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Slovenia and Croatia. Clubs from Austria, Turkey, Hungary, Italy and Macedonia had their representatives in WABA League in past seasons.

BTravel is a corporate travel agency that sponsors the league.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I'm not all that up on it either. She actually plays on two teams. One is an age cut off league team for her area and the other you might think of as an invitational elite team - like the better AAU teams here.

Reaction Score
It's pro, she's an amateur in a pro-league. But, here, in Europe, we care about Euroleague & EuroCup, others are B leagues, mostly regional

Reaction Score
Just use the Alabama football model
Don’t I recall correctly that when Nick Zorich was at ND under Holz, he couldn’t read? Perhaps that story was exaggerated, but he was definitely not qualified academically.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not sure if she will be a UConn recruit but I didn't want to create a separate thread. This is Aaliyah's high school.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Not sure if she will be a UConn recruit but I didn't want to create a separate thread. This is Aaliyah's high school.

I've heard a ton of buzz about this kid. But 2024 is a long ways away.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
7 O boards per game! Impressive!

And 228 FTAs! She must feel as if she's in a pinball machine.

Apparently she misses a lot layups. Remember Geno saying this is why Tina had so many offensive rebounds? ;):rolleyes:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom