Appreciating Castle’s Defensive Greatness | The Boneyard

Appreciating Castle’s Defensive Greatness

Reaction Score
This is admittedly going to be a very imperfect analysis. I’m sure one of you board nerds will be able to pull the exact data, but I was sitting here thinking about just how dominant defensively our true freshman has been during this tournament run. I compiled the season stats and game stats of each of Castle’s main defensive assignments during this run (at least if memory serves). Yes, sometimes he was on the bench or switched onto someone else, and yes, some of this is attributable to being met at the rim by an absolute monster, but I think the gist is there.

Jalen Blackmon (Stetson)
Season stats: 21 PPG, 43% FG, 38% 3PT
Game stats: 14 points, 4/17 FG, 1/9 3PT

Boo Buie (Northwestern)
Season stats: 19 PPG, 44% FG, 43% 3PT
Game stats: 9 points, 2/15 FG, 0/3 3PT

Lamont Butler (SDSU)
Season stats: 9 PPG, 42% FG, 30% 3PT
Game stats: 7 points, 2/7 FG, 0/2 3PT

Terrence Shannon (Illinois)
Season stats: 23 PPG, 48% FG, 36% 3PT
Game stats: 8 points, 2/12 FG, 0/1 3PT

For those of you counting at home, that is a combined 10/51 from the field and 1/15 from three. I’m sure everyone appreciated all of this already but putting it all down next to each other just hit a little different. What he is doing at all, much less as a true freshman, is completely insane. Hopefully he’s got two more of these in him for Sears and possibly Braden Smith.

Reaction Score
He's been the Ying to Clingan's Yang on defense. Castle locks down on the opposing team's best scorer, and then Clingan cleans up whatever comes into the paint. Castle just needs to stay out of foul trouble. The way Alabama plays (only 98th in FT rate in the country), foul problems shouldn't be a huge concern, but you never know.
Also don't want to slight Diarra, who's been awesome coming off the bench being his own 1 man press when Castle goes out.

Reaction Score
As good as our scoring ability is, It's our defense that's been the difference. When you can negate the scoring of the other team's star scorer, while eliminating drives to the basket, there's not a lot of options for opposing offenses.

Win it all and this team will have a legacy that will be talked about for a long time.

Reaction Score
The most impressive part of that 30-0 run wasn’t the 30. It was the 0.
Yeah, if you watch that whole ~9 minutes of game time the run spanned, it wasn't just some random fluke where Illinois missed a bunch of bunnies and should have made several baskets, or they got jobbed on some no-calls. I think they had maybe a couple of OK looks from 3 they missed, but otherwise the rest of their shots were either blocked, altered, or plain poor shots, or they turned it over. Just such a dominating stretch of defense.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Castle's D is impressive, and as noted when you combine Clingan it makes for an almost comical level of defense. Watching Shannon manage to slip Castle once or twice only to run into the Great Wall... LOVED IT. I thought it was humorous when Diarra was in at one point though and they were talking about how much shorter he was than Shannon and how Shannon was about to take advantage... except he did not because Diarra get is relentless about faceguarding. It's a 1-2 punch not unlike our center combos of the last two seasons - oh, you think you have figured us out - BOOM, we swap someone in with a totally different skillset.

We are going to miss Castle for sure, more than any other player over the last few years he's the one I think we'll be the most sad (and happy) to see go. His attitude is the cherry on top too, he's like the anti-Bouk.

Reaction Score
It’s Castle on Sears right? He has a very quick release.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yeah, if you watch that whole ~9 minutes of game time the run spanned, it wasn't just some random fluke where Illinois missed a bunch of bunnies and should have made several baskets, or they got jobbed on some no-calls. I think they had maybe a couple of OK looks from 3 they missed, but otherwise the rest of their shots were either blocked, altered, or plain poor shots, or they turned it over. Just such a dominating stretch of defense.

Hawkins had a bunch of open looks from the top of the arc but UConn was obviously fine with him taking those and he was apparently fine with bricking them.

They missed a couple layups early in the run but the bottom line is that they were just shook. That's just what happens. There's no daylight to shoot, and even when you're open you feel like you're not.

Reaction Score
Hawkins had a bunch of open looks from the top of the arc but UConn was obviously fine with him taking those and he was apparently fine with bricking them.

They missed a couple layups early in the run but the bottom line is that they were just shook. That's just what happens. There's no daylight to shoot, and even when you're open you feel like you're not.
They weren’t open looks. The ghosts Clingan put into their heads were playing absolute lockdown defense.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hey Big 10, we shut down your two best scorers with a freshman! That's nuts when you think about it.

Reaction Score
They weren’t open looks. The ghosts Clingan put into their heads were playing absolute lockdown defense.
Even the 3's where it looked the Illini player was mostly open that Clingan challenged, I have to think it was in their head they had to arc the shot a little higher because every 3 he contested during the run ended up short.

Reaction Score
The beauty of UConn defense of guards is Castle is a shut down defender with size and strength, but when he needs a rest it is Diarra who comes in with a bit of a different style (speed and hands), but the same impact. Although certainly different, there is little drop off either offensively or defensively when Diarra replaces Castle. The difference from an NBA perspective is that Castle 6'6" and 19 years old and Diarra 6'2 and 23.

I also think Newton's defensive skills are a bit underrated. He effectively uses his size to hinder shots and is rarely caught in the wrong position. Newton's rebounding is also a plus on the defensive end. Spencer is a basketball IQ defender. All of this is supported by a back wall of Clingan.

Reaction Score
The beauty of UConn defense of guards is Castle is a shut down defender with size and strength, but when he needs a rest it is Diarra who comes in with a bit of a different style (speed and hands), but the same impact. Although certainly different, there is little drop off either offensively or defensively when Diarra replaces Castle. The difference from an NBA perspective is that Castle 6'6" and 19 years old and Diarra 6'2 and 23.

I also think Newton's defensive skills are a bit underrated. He effectively uses his size to hinder shots and is rarely caught in the wrong position. Newton's rebounding is also a plus on the defensive end. Spencer is a basketball IQ defender. All of this is supported by a back wall of Clingan.
The Great Wall Of Bristol

Reaction Score

I noticed during the Illinois game when Diarra was guarding Domask, there was 1 possession where Diarra was able to poke the ball from Domask a couple of times (but not force a TO) when he was trying to back Diarra down. Later in the game (game was long over but anyways) Domask was backing down Diarra again and got called for an offensive foul when he shoved Diarra with an elbow. Almost certain part of that was caused by Diarra being such a pest Domask got annoyed at him.

Reaction Score
This is admittedly going to be a very imperfect analysis. I’m sure one of you board nerds will be able to pull the exact data, but I was sitting here thinking about just how dominant defensively our true freshman has been during this tournament run. I compiled the season stats and game stats of each of Castle’s main defensive assignments during this run (at least if memory serves). Yes, sometimes he was on the bench or switched onto someone else, and yes, some of this is attributable to being met at the rim by an absolute monster, but I think the gist is there.

Jalen Blackmon (Stetson)
Season stats: 21 PPG, 43% FG, 38% 3PT
Game stats: 14 points, 4/17 FG, 1/9 3PT

Boo Buie (Northwestern)
Season stats: 19 PPG, 44% FG, 43% 3PT
Game stats: 9 points, 2/15 FG, 0/3 3PT

Lamont Butler (SDSU)
Season stats: 9 PPG, 42% FG, 30% 3PT
Game stats: 7 points, 2/7 FG, 0/2 3PT

Terrence Shannon (Illinois)
Season stats: 23 PPG, 48% FG, 36% 3PT
Game stats: 8 points, 2/12 FG, 0/1 3PT

For those of you counting at home, that is a combined 10/51 from the field and 1/15 from three. I’m sure everyone appreciated all of this already but putting it all down next to each other just hit a little different. What he is doing at all, much less as a true freshman, is completely insane. Hopefully he’s got two more of these in him for Sears and possibly Braden Smith.
Awesome review and great focus. Interesting to note would be the offensive side of Castle as well. He can bring it either way and sometimes the offensive of his can throw off the offensive of other guard. Also love his desire and rebounding abilities. He has great reads /hands on missed shots along with a strength for wrestling away rebounds. His put-backs are done with speed. He is an amazing package.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom