AP Preseason Poll Released (merged thread) | The Boneyard

AP Preseason Poll Released (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I just can't with these people. I mean seriously? :rolleyes:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Per Rich, the Huskies are ranked #2 behind the Lady Bears, who were the unanimous choice for the top spot.

No surprises here, except maybe to the folks at Athlon.....

LINK

Associated Press
1. Baylor (40)
2. UCONN
3. Duke
4. Stanford
5. Maryland
6. Kentucky
7. Notre Dame
8. Penn St.
9. Louisville
10. Georgia

Delaware clocks in at #11, UT at #20.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Must have posted while I was writing mine - I will delete.

Oops. Forgot I can't do that now... mods?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Delaware will be in the top 10 within the first couple of weeks when one of the 5-10 lose.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
No Rutgers? Maybe it's past time for CViv to step aside.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Seems like a pretty weak field for Stanford to lose Nneka and still be the #4 team in the country. I could certainly make arguments for other teams, but Stanford is as plausible as anyone else really.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I guess ND claims a Top 10 spot until another team shows it deserves it, but, man, don't people look at the rosters before they vote? Diggins is a fabulous player, and just having her on the team should guarantee ND a spot somewhere in the rankings, but the Irish is a team without much of a post presence or much experienced depth.

11 Achonwa, Natalie F 6-3 Jr )
44 Braker, Ariel F 6-1 Jr
22 Cable, Madison G 5-11 So
4 Diggins, Skylar G 5-9 Sr
3 Holloway, Whitney G 5-4 So
24 Huffman, Hannah G 5-9 Fr
32 Loyd, Jewell G 5-10 Fr
23 Mabrey, Michaela G 5-10 Fr
21 McBride, Kayla G 5-11 Jr
15 Turner, Kaila G 5-8 Sr
34 Wright, Markisha F 6-2 So

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I know it's been said here many times before, but I can't wait for the ND games. Regarding ND in the rankings, I look forward to watching them drop throughout the season. I can only hope that they whine as it happens to make it even more fulfilling. Does that say bad things about me?

Regarding other teams, I don't really care this year because I have a good feeling that UConn will be back in the top spot before it's all over. And after a couple of frustrating (but not unappreciated) Final Fours, my feeling of optimism is liberating for the spirit. Let's start the season.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Nan et al
I don't know why I have been advocating for Notre Dame, these last few weeks but I still have a feeling in the hairs in the back of my neck that their sharpshooting guards will be a real problem for almost anyone and will even bother us a little.
I know all the arguments against; counting on two freshmen, little size, yada-yada. But let's also remember that their coach is pretty fine.
Anyway, the season's coming up and we'll soon see if my intuition has any basis in reality.
Michael
Back in Beijing, home soon

Reaction Score
Michael:) They lost Peters,Novosol,and Mallory:eek: They have FR #4 Loyd*,#31 Mabrey,and #52 Huffman!
Loyd excellent,Mabrey much better than ranking!

As Nan posted,Post,depth,experience WOW!
Starting 5 Diggins SR,Loyd FR,Achonwa JR,McBride JR,and Mabrey FR
What is their ranking based on given all of this?

Big issues this season IMHO They may benefit by the # of/lack of really good teams,the BE hmmm Guard oriented yes! They have no choice
Against them we throw so many different lineups at them! Starters,Big,small,shooters,defense OMG
Ira

Reaction Score
I also think Notre Dame will be a top team. They have great guards, even if I can't stand the diva one, and I think Achonwa will be very good this year.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
ND deserving of being a top 10 team. Can't wait to play them. If they keep the beat down to under 20 i'll be shocked.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
It looks fine to me! Not sure about Stanford @ #4. Losing Nneka will be big for them. Time will tell though!

Reaction Score
I guess ND claims a Top 10 spot until another team shows it deserves it, but, man, don't people look at the rosters before they vote? Diggins is a fabulous player, and just having her on the team should guarantee ND a spot somewhere in the rankings, but the Irish is a team without much of a post presence or much experienced depth.

11 Achonwa, Natalie F 6-3 Jr )
44 Braker, Ariel F 6-1 Jr
22 Cable, Madison G 5-11 So
4 Diggins, Skylar G 5-9 Sr
3 Holloway, Whitney G 5-4 So
24 Huffman, Hannah G 5-9 Fr
32 Loyd, Jewell G 5-10 Fr
23 Mabrey, Michaela G 5-10 Fr
21 McBride, Kayla G 5-11 Jr
15 Turner, Kaila G 5-8 Sr
34 Wright, Markisha F 6-2 So

KINDA SEEMS LIKE ACHONWA IS IN HER EIGHTEENTH YEAR AT ND. THOSE COURSES OUT THERE MUST BE WAY RIGOROUS.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I am not sure Stanford is a lock to win the Pac12, let alone being #4.
It is amazing that someone can publish a pre-season poll(like AP or Athlon) with no thought process to who lost what to graduation, who is healthy(like Maryland), etc.
Then again I dont think much of Charlie Cremes NCAA tournament placements either.
If you want some good opinions go to the folks that watch a ton of games.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Might have been a one-year blind-monkey type of prediction thing and I'm certainly not a big fan of the preseason polls, but last year they nailed it about as well as you could hope. All four FF teams and good job on Elite 8 teams. Of course this year either Savannah St. or Prairie View is winning it all, so they are way off base for 2013.

Reaction Score

I actually did look at the roster and still had ND in the top 10. I think Diggins is that good, and McBride & Achonwa are really good too. Throw in some highly touted frosh and I think ND will be a solid team. Perhaps #7 is a bit high.

Am glad to see someone else has put TN outside of the top 15. I believe I was compared to a 3rd grader by a certain group for putting the Vols at #18. Imagine what they think of all the AP writers who put them at #20.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
second grader. A pretty sharp second-grader, but grade 2 nonetheless.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom