AP Poll - Week 15 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Poll - Week 15

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Moved up to #20 even after an L. Luckiest team ever NCAA College Basketball Rankings: AP Top 25 Basketball Poll | AP News
Forget "luckiest team ever." Where's any luck?

A team on a 9-game win streak beat UConn by 3 at home, and rose more than any other team. Writers know that there are 5 winning teams in the Big East, but need game results to determine their order.

Providence and TCU reasonably dropped enough after worse weeks than UConn.

Iowa State dropped the most, but not enough to go lower than UConn because they started so much higher, even though they lost to UConn. Respect for the Big 12.

San Diego State rose well like two others that took care of business and solidified their second-in-conference status (Indiana and Miami), but not enough to overtake UConn. Respect for the Big East.

I think you're taking your handle too seriously.

In the alternative, where did you think UConn would land, as determined by voters? (Sheep logic)
Better yet, where would you rank UConn this week? (Seth Davis style)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
1 spot is a bit light after dominating a top 10 team. But we’ve built this bed
Marquette only dropped one spot after that beat down?
After consulting the Boneyard where they read about how Marquette wasn't dominated in the second half, and how the Creighton loss foretells that the team can't win, some writers considered Marquette's road loss simply a let down game in a tough conference and held back pending next weekend's 'show me' game to avenge the mortifying loss in Newark.

Prepare, focus, and execute next Saturday...the current most important must win game of the season.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is one of those years where any voter for the AP that is taking their ranking seriously (and I know many are not) has to start from scratch every week. Why is Kansas State not budging after an ugly loss to Texas Tech? How many games does Iowa State have to lose to get knocked out of the Top 25?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Forget "luckiest team ever." Where's any luck?

A team on a 9-game win streak beat UConn by 3 at home, and rose more than any other team. Writers know that there are 5 winning teams in the Big East, but need game results to determine their order.

Providence and TCU reasonably dropped enough after worse weeks than UConn.

Iowa State dropped the most, but not enough to go lower than UConn because they started so much higher, even though they lost to UConn. Respect for the Big 12.

San Diego State rose well like two others that took care of business and solidified their second-in-conference status (Indiana and Miami), but not enough to overtake UConn. Respect for the Big East.

I think you're taking your handle too seriously.

In the alternative, where did you think UConn would land, as determined by voters? (Sheep logic)
Better yet, where would you rank UConn this week? (Seth Davis style)
Imagine anyone thinking a team that lost on the road at a highly ranked opponent because of the width of a toenail on a line was "lucky".

This is one of the unluckiest teams in college basketball. I think that's why the metrics keep saying the Huskies are way better than their record shows. There is no team that would feel remotely comfortable playing a neutral site game against UConn.

Reaction Score
Even with the loss to Creighton, I should think you can't put Creighton ahead of UConn. After all, UConn beat Creighton handily a few weeks ago. But more than that: Creighton only has 2 wins over the top 25, more losses than UConn, and some bad OOC losses as well. UConn has wins over #1 Alabama, #10 Marquette and Creighton as well, in addition to Iowa State.

I couldn't justify ranking Creighton ahead of UConn even with recency bias worked in.

Reaction Score
Even with the loss to Creighton, I should think you can't put Creighton ahead of UConn. After all, UConn beat Creighton handily a few weeks ago. But more than that: Creighton only has 2 wins over the top 25, more losses than UConn, and some bad OOC losses as well. UConn has wins over #1 Alabama, #10 Marquette and Creighton as well, in addition to Iowa State.

I couldn't justify ranking Creighton ahead of UConn even with recency bias worked in.
Unfortunately recency bias is what the rankings are all about

Reaction Score
WEEK 15 VOTES: All over the place. You would think things would tighten up at this point in the season.

1676324852537.png

Reaction Score
To put this another way, 55% of the combined Big 12 and Big East teams are ranked, while 16% of the other power conference teams are ranked.

Top of the Big East is fantastic this year. Even the middle ain't bad. Bottom 3 are oof. Gtown especially is killing our conference SOS right now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Top of the Big East is fantastic this year. Even the middle ain't bad. Bottom 3 are oof. Gtown especially is killing our conference SOS right now.
This is another really important factor this isn't discussed as much. Here is the average Kenpom ranking of the Top 5 Big East teams since we rejoined:

2021 - 36 (5, 5, 7, 12 seeds in NCAA tournament)
2022 - 33 (2, 4, 5, 8, 9, 9 seeds in NCAA tournament)
2023 - 17 (3, 4, 4, 6, 8 seeds in NCAA tournament)

That is a MAJOR difference of overall team quality at the top half of the conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom