AP Poll 12/20 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AP Poll 12/20

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
While UConn has been hit by injury bug more than anyone else, they are not the only top team dealing with injuries:

• Maryland: Diamond Miller (who averaged 17ppg and 6rpg last year) has played only two games for the team this year.
  • Tennessee: Without their best player all year, Rae Burrell
  • South Carolina: Starting PG Destanni Henderson has missed past 3 games (though looks like she might play tonight v Stanford)
  • Oregon: challenging UConn for injury woes, with Paopao and Enidya Rodgers barely playing this season thus far, and Sabally also missing a ton of time
  • Michigan: Starting guard Amy Dilk has missed nearly the entire year
As many others have said, rankings are just a snapshot in time. Let's hope all teams can be as close to full strength as possible come March.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Well, assuming we get our wounded warriors back in late February, we can make new records by zooming to the top in March

Reaction Score
Meaningless, but interesting to see how a very close loss to a now top 3 team resulted in a 4 spot drop. Doesn't mean much, as I think our team could compete with any of the teams ranked 4-10.
I disagree. The team we have now is probably overrated. There are a few teams below us that we would have a hard time beating. I mean, Georgia Tech is at 17 and we couldn't beat them tomorrow.

Reaction Score
These rankings are irrelevant. When Nika, Aubrey and Azzi come back, they will be a tough knock-out in the tournament. If Paige also comes back and gets in playing shape, they will have a good chance of winning the tournment.

Reaction Score
It just shows this team isn't that good. The play of Ono, Williams and Westbrook is terrible. On that note, other teams got the benefit of the doubt and stayed alot longer than they should have. Tennessee for one.

I won't be replying to any comments on this subject or my opinion.

Reaction Score
While UConn has been hit by injury bug more than anyone else, they are not the only top team dealing with injuries:

• Maryland: Diamond Miller (who averaged 17ppg and 6rpg last year) has played only two games for the team this year.
  • Tennessee: Without their best player all year, Rae Burrell
  • South Carolina: Starting PG Destanni Henderson has missed past 3 games (though looks like she might play tonight v Stanford)
  • Oregon: challenging UConn for injury woes, with Paopao and Enidya Rodgers barely playing this season thus far, and Sabally also missing a ton of time
  • Michigan: Starting guard Amy Dilk has missed nearly the entire year
As many others have said, rankings are just a snapshot in time. Let's hope all teams can be as close to full strength as possible come March.
Include UCLA.

Reaction Score
I disagree. The team we have now is probably overrated. There are a few teams below us that we would have a hard time beating. I mean, Georgia Tech is at 17 and we couldn't beat them tomorrow.
I'd be pretty shocked if we lost a rematch tomorrow with GT. You can't undervalue the impact of losing 3 rotation players including your best player, and having approximately zero practice time to adjust.

It seems like the world is ending, but in reality, yesterday's game wasn't a bad loss. We competed with the #3 team in the country, while riddled with injuries. None of the teams ranked 4-10 are head and shoulders above Louisville, so I don't see any reason to believe we could not compete with them. Not necessarily win, but compete.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
general observation, thus far.
these other teams, the whole top of the pops ones especially, are
ummm, not great. far from it. just better than the wasteland below them.
all we need is team health at showtime, to blow their doors off.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Hey we have 4 key injured players and 2 others left the team. When 100% healthy and in playing shape we wont loose to anybody unless its a fluke. We have everything that makes up a NC team. Great guards great point guards height ballhandlers a team leader and NPOY. Defenses will have to come out and guard our outside shooters Yeah were good Really good.

Reaction Score
Hey we have 4 key injured players and 2 others left the team. When 100% healthy and in playing shape we wont loose to anybody unless its a fluke. We have everything that makes up a NC team. Great guards great point guards height ballhandlers a team leader and NPOY. Defenses will have to come out and guard our outside shooters Yeah were good Really good.
giphy.gif

You optimism is inspiring

Reaction Score
It's interesting how the polls are meaningless when they drop out of the Top Ten. :cool:

I don't believe the loss to Louisville warrants that much of drop for them, and that much of a bump for Louisville, but fans don't get a vote.

As stated in this thread some teams are handling key injuries better than others. This UConn team does have a significant amount compared to others.

I'll wait until the season concludes in March/April before I hop on the gloom/doom train. Let's face it - I'll never hop on the train. It's just a sport.

Reaction Score
I feel like the voters probably also (at least a little) love the drama of it all, UConn falling out of the top ten. The polls are mostly more for conversation than reflecting reality anyway right. Much more of a storyline than if it didn’t happen

Reaction Score
I don't really have any problem with the polls/rankings except for the fact that Tennessee didn't even drop one spot after getting beat by Stanford. Tennessee had a 17-0 run in that game and still lost by 11.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don't really have any problem with the polls/rankings except for the fact that Tennessee didn't even drop one spot after getting beat by Stanford. Tennessee had a 17-0 run in that game and still lost by 11.

They lost to the #2 team in the country, how far did you expect Tennessee to drop?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
It just shows this team isn't that good. The play of Ono, Williams and Westbrook is terrible. On that note, other teams got the benefit of the doubt and stayed alot longer than they should have. Tennessee for one.

I won't be replying to any comments on this subject or my opinion.
With all due respect to the poster's statement that there will be no response to his comments, I feel compelled to respond to the poster's comments as I find some agreement and some disagreement. Either way the big three...our seniors are essential to UConn's ability to weather the storm while we wait for our injured players to return to the line-up.

While I would agree with the poster that both Williams and Ododa are underperforming I wouldn't say that they are terrible. On the other hand, I do not agree that Evina is terrible at all. She did have one sub par game against Louisville. But since Paige went down against GT which was the first game without Paige and certainly an adjustment game Evina had 2 rebounds, 6 assists and 11 points in a low scoring game she was one of the bright spots for UConn. In the UCLA game she was in my opinion exemplary she pulled down 7 rebound, had 7 assists and went for 17 points In the Louisville game she underperformed with the rest of the big three. However, on the season Westbrook is averaging 4.0 rebound; 3.9 assists and 10.1 points. Is there room for improvement for her averages? Absolutely! But, terrible doesn't accurately describe Westbrook's play.

Both Williams and Ododa are underperforming for the season and as seniors they need to step it up, especially now that we have been hit hard by the injury bug. Williams averages of 2.8 rebounds, 2.6 assists and 13.8 points need to trend upwards during this period of transition while we wait for our other pieces to return to the line-up. I would like to see Williams average around 4 rebounds, 5 assists and 18 points a game.

As far as Ododa she has been slightly underperforming the entire season. She has had some good games but averages of 7.4 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 8.6 points per game need to move upwards as well. Let me be clear..she is only 2.6 rebounds and 1.4 points off of averaging a double / double. I believe Ododa is capable of averaging a double / double. As a big she is a pretty good passer...but, she needs to be more aggressive on the glass and she needs to average double figure scoring...I think she is capable of averaging 10 rebounds and 14 points a game.

Bottom line Evina, Williams and Ododa are our seniors, the team is struggling with losses from injuries and the transfer portal..now is the time for them to step up and not only provide the scoring and other stats but they need to provide that much needed senior leadership. Their time is now! They can define their entire UConn career in the next 2 months.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure we would beat Georgia Tech if we played them tomorrow.

Reaction Score
These rankings are irrelevant. When Nika, Aubrey and Azzi come back, they will be a tough knock-out in the tournament. If Paige also comes back and gets in playing shape, they will have a good chance of winning the tournment.
You say the rankings are irrelevant but qualify it that we have four players out injured. The rankings are relevant because it is a subjective measure of how the team is performing with current personnel. And has UConn's play improves with or without the players as they come back they will once again move up the rankings.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's interesting how the polls are meaningless when they drop out of the Top Ten. :cool:
Psst. [whispers] They are meaningless when we are in the top 10 as well. At least this time of year.

For what it’s worth, while I would rather we not have any injuries at this point in time, I do see a little bit of a silver lining in that it’s created opportunities for people to step up and thrive. Caroline, obviously, comes to mind. As people keep coming back from injury and work themselves back up to full strength, we are going to keep getting better.

Reaction Score
Psst. [whispers] They are meaningless when we are in the top 10 as well. At least this time of year.

For what it’s worth, while I would rather we not have any injuries at this point in time, I do see a little bit of a silver lining in that it’s created opportunities for people to step up and thrive. Caroline, obviously, comes to mind. As people keep coming back from injury and work themselves back up to full strength, we are going to keep getting better.
Agree. The thread just made laugh at how outraged everyone is. I just watch the games and ignore the polls.

Reaction Score
Baylor fan here. We are 10. Not sure, given the way we are playing, that we could beat you, even injured. So you are somewhere between 9 and 12. The polls gave you the benefit of the doubt for a long time, but the GT loss was to big to overcome in public image. Wishing all of us a healthy team.

Reaction Score
Baylor fan here. We are 10. Not sure, given the way we are playing, that we could beat you, even injured. So you are somewhere between 9 and 12. The polls gave you the benefit of the doubt for a long time, but the GT loss was to big to overcome in public image. Wishing all of us a healthy team.
How did the polls give UConn the benefit of the doubt final 4 team in previous year and if not injured still a top team ? GR was our first bad loss .

Reaction Score
Have to disagree there. While admittedly we might lose, they would not be playing the same confused, Ill-prepared, dysfunctional team they beat before! Now, they’ve had time to practice, adjust to the loss of Paige and the others, and played well against two tough opponents. I think they would find it much different/tougher now. In fact, the more I think about it, I am convinced we would win that game!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom