AP Poll - 12/18 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Poll - 12/18

Reaction Score
Serious disrespect. We should at the very least be #4 over Arizona. Committee needs to consider the "face-test". We would be favored over AZ on a neutral court.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Kansas has the best win of the year so far. Carries a lot of weight!
Yes!

They won at AFH, cracking the code of how to beat UConn without Castle playing, and Spencer hobbled so that he short-armed a few shots, including the final three that would have given the lead as the clock was going down.

Seriously, we'll know soon enough if undefeated Houston handles the B12 w/BYU as well as it did the AAC. And a half dozen other B12 teams will sort things out amongst themselves.

Poll voters are challenging UConn to do what's expected over the next 4 weeks. Same with Purdue. Arizona looks to have the most challenging end-of-the year schedule of the top 5.

Reaction Score
Houston ahead of us is not warranted - they haven't even played a top 25 team.

AZ ahead of us is not warranted either - other than Pudue, they haven't played anybody else and our loss at Kansas is a better Kloss than theirs against Purdue on a neutral court.

No logical explanation.

Reaction Score
I don’t get the Houston ranking. Not only haven’t they not beaten a ranked team yet, they haven’t even played one and we are closing in on January
On top of that, they even got a first place vote! Comical

Reaction Score
As the basketball season goes on, AP voters typically won’t drop teams unless they lose, even if the people below them had better wins. Major reason why Purdue was #1 last year while struggling against average teams while we were #2 blowing everybody out

No worries though. Top 5 is a great place to be. Plenty of opportunities for great wins against Marquette and Creighton

Reaction Score
Im happy with the position we’re in at this point . UConn exceeded expect in phase 1
The conference underperformed expectations but not by an alarming degree .
But it’s pretty much over and we did enough as a league to be top 3-4 .
Now it’s onto phase 2
Finish 1-2 In Conference and we will be a 1-2 seed
Let’s forget the poll and concentrate on winning the Conference . Being top 5 then will give us a little easier road but like last year a 3 seed isn’t bad
Polls don’t win Championships, thankfully .,
We weren’t top 20 at the end of 2011 regular season or 2014 going into the Tournament.

Reaction Score
Kansas has the best win of the year so far. Carries a lot of weight!
That's actually an interesting Q. Northwestern over Purdue is best home win currently (then Kansas over us and Purdue over Arizona).

All things considered, Purdue over Marquette on neutral court is probably the best win overall (not considering margin).

Arizona over Duke is still probably the best road win so far. Maybe Clemson over Alabama. None of the top 6 teams have dropped a home game yet.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I care less about the absolute ranking # and more about the BS I hear on pods, forums, and during games - I've heard the following takes:

Kansas killed us. Uh huh, they barely beat us on their 95% win rate home court.
Clingan is playing bad. He was injured and still held his own against some of the top rates bigs in the country.
Newton isn't that good. If you think that I DON'T want what you're smoking because it's clearly garbage.

Keep up the BS though, as Danny said before "get it while you can, we're coming".

Still I do like seeing those low #s next to our name. I think we should have gotten a bump to #4 this week but c'est la vie.

Reaction Score
1. Polls never matter, but matter even less early in the season.

2. If we want to complain about being a few spots too low, we shouldn't play literally a majority of our OOC games against teams with NET rankings above or close to 300. Seriously. If writers want to lean to other good teams because they don't play as many horrific cupcakes as we do, that is far from unfair. As UConn fans, we only are focused on what teams did in important games, which is understandable, but it's not the only way to look at things.

Reaction Score
AZ ahead of us is not warranted either - other than Pudue, they haven't played anybody else and our loss at Kansas is a better Kloss than theirs against Purdue on a neutral court.

No logical explanation.
AZ beat 3 teams who were ranked at the time of their games. We've beaten 3 as well.

Both teams are 0-1 against teams currently in the top 10s.

We are ranked 6th and 7th in WAB resume metric.

There's just not much to get upset about. Coin flip situation and they had the poll inertia on their side.

Reaction Score
From Borzello @ ESPN

3. UConn Huskies (10-1)
Previous ranking:
This week: at Seton Hall Pirates (Wednesday), vs. St. John's (Saturday)

UConn wrapped up its nonconference schedule with a convincing 76-63 win over Gonzaga in Seattle on Friday. It was Donovan Clingan's best performance of the season against a high caliber opponent, as he was simply dominant on the interior, finishing with 21 points, eight boards, three assists and two blocks. And led by Clingan, the Huskies are shooting a nation-leading 64% from inside the arc.

Reaction Score
AP pollsters vote UConn as the 5th best team out of 351 teams playing Division 1 basketball. And the Boneyard reaction is to get out the pitchforks and torches.

LOL! Arrogant and spoiled.

Reaction Score
Houston will be more interesting this year … no more patty caking it through the AAC.
Definitely lots of chances to determine what UH is this year. Hopefully we'll be held to legacy Big 12 team standards for wins and losses and not UH in AAC when/if UH loses 3 or 4 games.

Reaction Score
Houston ahead of us is not warranted - they haven't even played a top 25 team.

No logical explanation.
Arizona also won @ Duke which is a pretty darned good win. I figured it could go either way between us.

Reaction Score
These polls are just dumb. If I have to do the rankings, it would be this:

1. UCONN (we have beaten multiple ranked teams with a very close loss at Kansas on the road)
2. Purdue
3. Kansas
4. Arizona
5. Houston

Orc

Reaction Score
I don’t get the Houston ranking. Not only haven’t they not beaten a ranked team yet, they haven’t even played one and we are closing in on January
I hear they wont play a rank team until Jan 18th against BYU. I thought they already left that dreadful AAC conference

Reaction Score
The Kansas argument - UConn (H), Kentucky (N), Tennessee (N), Indiana (A) with a loss to Marquette (N) is better than UConn w/ Indiana (N), Texas (N), North Carolina (N), and Gonzaga (N) with a loss to Kansas (A). Kansas has wins against the current 5, 8, 9. UConn has wins against 11, 14, and 19.

I agree with the following:
  1. If Houston played a Kansas or UConn OOC schedule they would have a loss or two. They don't even have the excuse of scheduled quality teams haveing down years. Just a weak schedule when Xavier (A) is the toughest competitor
  2. Arizona got way too much credit for beating a then #2 Duke. Current ranked wins for AZ - Duke - 21, Wisc - 24.

Reaction Score
This tweet saved me from looking up the analytic site rankings one by one. The metrics and eye test are in close agreement on us, and we’re in a great position going into conference play. I do think we have the highest ceiling, given that we haven’t quite been at full strength against elite competition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom