Anyone else notice this similarity to last year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone else notice this similarity to last year

Reaction Score
I think a big part of Tristen's dropoff is the refs. He came to UConn with the reputation of being incredible at drawing fouls and getting to the line. It hasn't translated to the Big East and there are times when he is getting hammered and nothing is called. Sometimes he appears to get frustrated and starts getting out of control trying to force the refs to blow the whistle.

Again, like a lot of players who have come through the system, he will make an occasional play that makes you scratch out head, but I'm still really happy he's on our side. I'm interested to see what happens when the get into the post season. Does he thrive in the NCAA tournament like last year.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think a big part of Tristen's dropoff is the refs. He came to UConn with the reputation of being incredible at drawing fouls and getting to the line. It hasn't translated to the Big East and there are times when he is getting hammered and nothing is called. Sometimes he appears to get frustrated and starts getting out of control trying to force the refs to blow the whistle.

Again, like a lot of players who have come through the system, he will make an occasional play that makes you scratch out head, but I'm still really happy he's on our side. I'm interested to see what happens when the get into the post season. Does he thrive in the NCAA tournament like last year.

I said it in another thread, it's 100% the Big East refs. Conference games here are a completely different beast, which is why we look so good out of conference. In his first few years, Hurley built our teams to win rock fights and compete in the Big East. The last two years he's gotten us more shooters and a better offensive team in general, but we're more susceptible to getting dragged down into the mud in these conference games.

Reaction Score
Why does it have to be one or the other? Having 2 guys that can play on/off ball seems to be an advantage. Makes the opponent prepare for both styles…and not knowing what we will do every trip down the court

Reaction Score
Why does it have to be one or the other? Having 2 guys that can play on/off ball seems to be an advantage. Makes the opponent prepare for both styles…and not knowing what we will do every trip down the court
Cam and Hassan also initiate the offense sometimes. It's definitely not a disadvantage to have multiple "lead guards".

Reaction Score
Seriously, are you conflicted about the prospect of getting Joson Sanon? Those are not going to be good years for you. ;)
It's my goal this year to get all Yarders to spell his name right. And Spencer's name right also. And Samson also while I'm at it. It's asking a lot but I'm going to try.

There are only 12 scholarship players. Shouldn't be that hard. Does anyone spell some of their friends' names wrong? I will give everyone a pass on Apostolos Roumoglou though. :)

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
It's my goal this year to get all Yarders to spell his name right. And Spencer's name right also. And Samson also while I'm at it. It's asking a lot but I'm going to try.

There are only 12 scholarship players. Shouldn't be that hard. Does anyone spell some of their friends' names wrong? I will give everyone a pass on Apostolos Roumoglou though. :)
HoperScoopar out here fighting the good fight!

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score

Well in my attempt to avoid this mistake, I tried using just the initials of players but was summarily informed my use of initials made the posts unreadable. So to your point I will get better with Tristen, but I am never going to get the kid from Greece name spelled correctly.

Reaction Score
Well in my attempt to avoid this mistake, I tried using just the initials of players but was summarily informed my use of initials made the posts unreadable. So to your point I will get better with Tristen, but I am never going to get the kid from Greece name spelled correctly.
I will give you an A for effort and promise to excuse any misspelling of the Greek kid's name.

Reaction Score
We just played our best game of the year against Creighton, so it's hard to see why something is broken.

Even if it is, your diagnosis is off. Stephon and Andre are totally different players. It was problematic to have the ball in the hands of a single-threat guy who couldn't shoot. Whereas Castle is a 2.5-threat guy and still developing. We've had great success with two point guard lineups in the past (Kevin-Doron, Khalid-Ricky, etc) and the onus is on Tristen if he has NBA ambitions to be able to play alongside an NBA-caliber guard.

We can't just hand the ball to Tristen and say do your thing, everyone has to develop their roles to make this the best possible team.

We just played our best game of the year against Creighton, so it's hard to see why something is broken.

Even if it is, your diagnosis is off. Stephon and Andre are totally different players. It was problematic to have the ball in the hands of a single-threat guy who couldn't shoot. Whereas Castle is a 2.5-threat guy and still developing. We've had great success with two point guard lineups in the past (Kevin-Doron, Khalid-Ricky, etc) and the onus is on Tristen if he has NBA ambitions to be able to play alongside an NBA-caliber guard.

We can't just hand the ball to Tristen and say do your thing, everyone has to develop their roles to make this the best possible team.
I never said that Castle and Andre are the same type of player. I said Newton and the UConn offense was less effective last year when Andre dominated the ball, and Newton and the UConn offense is less effective this year when Castle is dominating the ball. The team’s offense is much more fluid when Newton is in charge

As someone else said, Castle is a plus player. There is no doubt about that. But if you really objectively watch Castle in offensive sets, he’s the only one on the floor that doesn’t seem to know what to do. He’s not moving around cutting or running around screens. Occasionally he tries to set a screen, but he’s not very good at it. Otherwise he just stands there while everyone else seems to be moving with purpose. The ball sticks when it gets to him. If the ball doesn’t come his way, he stands around and waits for someone else to shoot and crashes the boards.

I am not trying to bash the kid. In fact, I think he needs to be on the floor because he’s excellent defensively and gives good help in rebounding. But I don’t think it’s a coincidence that like last year, Newton and UConn look noticeably worse offensively when someone who can’t shoot is dominating the ball. Last year, Hurley realized that and found a way to get Andre involved without having him run the point. That’s why I thought perhaps Castle could try occasionally cutting toward the basket, or perhaps fill the “dunkers” role that Andre Jackson did last year offensively. He just doesn’t seem to have much else to offer in our offensive sets since he can’t shoot from the outside, and he is extremely hesitant to put the ball on the floor , and given those traits, it bogs down the offense when he is at the top of the key with the ball acting as the lead guard

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
I never said that Castle and Andre are the same type of player. I said Newton and the UConn offense was less effective last year when Andre dominated the ball, and Newton and the UConn offense is less effective this year when Castle is dominating the ball. The team’s offense is much more fluid when Newton is in charge

As someone else said, Castle is a plus player. There is no doubt about that. But if you really objectively watch Castle in offensive sets, he’s the only one on the floor that doesn’t seem to know what to do. He’s not moving around cutting or running around screens. Occasionally he tries to set a screen, but he’s not very good at it. Otherwise he just stands there while everyone else seems to be moving with purpose. The ball sticks when it gets to him. If the ball doesn’t come his way, he stands around and waits for someone else to shoot and crashes the boards.

I am not trying to bash the kid. In fact, I think he needs to be on the floor because he’s excellent defensively and gives good help in rebounding. But I don’t think it’s a coincidence that like last year, Newton and UConn look noticeably worse offensively when someone who can’t shoot is dominating the ball. Last year, Hurley realized that and found a way to get Andre involved without having him run the point. That’s why I thought perhaps Castle could try occasionally cutting toward the basket, or perhaps fill the “dunkers” role that Andre Jackson did last year offensively. He just doesn’t seem to have much else to offer in our offensive sets since he can’t shoot from the outside, and he is extremely hesitant to put the ball on the floor , and given those traits, it bogs down the offense when he is at the top of the key with the ball acting as the lead guard

Fair enough, but the solution is for him to learn how to be an active participant in the offense. He has the elements to be successful, he just needs to put it together.

I think there will be enough minutes with Newton on the floor, Castle off, for the coaches to get a read on the +/- and make adjustments as needed before the tourney. If you are right, they will adopt your view.

Reaction Score
Are you saying Castle struggles to drive? From what I've seen Castle gets wherever he wants while handling the ball and has been a very good finisher. Just trying to understand your post.
Not really.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom