Anyone Else Encouraged? | The Boneyard

Anyone Else Encouraged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
Maybe it's just me, but I saw a team that overcame adversity & got a win. Our star player came out on fire, then went ghost the entire second half due to a jammed thumb, foul trouble & him getting in his own head by forcing up shots [common with young players]. Our second top scorer also battled foul trouble & both players were out of the game during a crucial 5-minute stretch towards the 10 minute mark. During that span, our other players --- Whaley, Gaffney, Martin, Sonogo, etc. balled out & secured a win that many of our teams of recent may not have.

It's a weird year & a lot of upsets are occurring across the country. Hartford certainly isn't the best team that we'll face this year, but they played hard & showed heart. There is a lot to work on & Hurley lit into them after the game to make sure they were aware of it, but I was encouraged to see the depth, versatility & accountability. Far from a finished product, but certainly a lot to work with.

Reaction Score
I am not encouraged by our play especially on defense. The team is performing below their ability at this point. I am also pretty sure that Coach Hurley agrees with me and is unhappy with what he is seeing on the court.

I also believe this is a temporary situation. What encourages me is the roster and the coaching staff. This is not unusual for this time of year. There is a influx of young talent that will take time to develop chemistry. It's a stew. It needs time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am, but that is my nature.
  • We have a ton of talent.
  • Bouk can go off pretty much whenever he wants.
  • We have a damn impressive freshman center who will give us a physicality in the post we haven't had in years.
  • Gaffney just scored 15 points in 35 minutes with 2 assists. I'll take that from the 1 spot all day long.
  • Jackson is incredibly athletic.
  • Martin looks like a solid piece in the limited time we've seen him
  • Akok is healthy and slightly ahead of schedule to return. This team will take a big jump ahead when he does. He and Sanogo are daunting duo in the paint.
  • Whaley has been impressive this year. Anyone think this what senior year would have looked like back in freshman year?
On the other hand:
  • We missed 14 days of practice
  • Bouk look tired and disengage for a lot the Hartford game
  • Central Connecticut shot over 50% against us
  • We fell asleep against Hartford and let them back in a game that should have been a bigger win
  • Josh....
Still we are a young team that has lost a lot of practice time. Mistakes are to be expected. I don't think Hurly should build a shelf for another natty quite yet, but there is a lot to be excited about.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just keep coming back to one data point - Our 3-year starter at Center can't even get on the court this year. We go like 11 deep with no obvious roster weaknesses.

With so many moving pieces and new contributors it was always going to take some time for things to click. That has been exacerbated by the COVID shutdown.

I remain very, very bullish on our chances this year, particularly as the season wears on and players find their roles and we learn to play cohesively and consistently.

Its coming.

Reaction Score
I'm encouraged by the sheer talent this team has and all the options we have. I'm discouraged that we may have 2 seasons now that may be cancelled because of Covid. CBB is probably my favorite sport to watch and it sucks asking yourselves what could have been? Could UConn have snuck into the tournament last year given their improved play at the end of the season?

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
Talent wise - this is the most that we've had since 2014. Seem to have a lot of high character guys who have bought in to Hurley's system & the athleticism is reminiscent of old-school Calhoun teams. IMO, our ceiling this year is contingent upon whether Bouk can develop into an "alpha" type player who wills a team to victory. He certainly has the talent to be that guy & I'm bullish on Hurley's ability to bring that out of him consistently throughout the course of the season. The supporting cast is there to make noise this season - team needs time to gel & grow accustomed to their roles.

Reaction Score
I won’t be encouraged until DH is encouraged.

The measuring stick for that is when DH feels confident enough to start Sanogo at center alongside Whaley at PF.

My take right now is that DH is playing small ball because of a lack of confidence in his bigs outside of Whaley. I don’t count Polley as a big.

The opposite take, is that DH is playing small ball because he has more talented wings and guards than post players. And in these first two games he’s trying to determine which wings and guards belong in the rotation. He knew he could play small ball and win in those games.

The Mohegan Sun games should sort things out. Re-post this question then.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With the depth this team has, it’s clear to me that defensive effort is going to be the main distinguishing factor impacting who gets minutes and who doesn’t, as the season develops. That means the defense is going to improve, bigtime.

Reaction Score
We are a young team and have transfers new to the program.. Seniors who stayed through the KO stuff.. And BA.. We have not had a normal summer for player development/skills development..Had a recent COVID interruption at a crucial time.. And we're 2-0.. "Style" points are always nice.. Results get you picked for tournaments.. I'll take Wins right now as we figure stuff out.. Trust the Carpenter..

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Re-watching the highlights from the CCSU and Hartford game, there were 3 clear differences that was reflected in the margins of victory. All are correctable. Ball movement, transition offense and sustained intensity.

We had all 3 for 40 minutes in the CCSU game but was lacking them for most of the Hartford game. This isn't a talent or conditioning issue, this is purely mental. Hurley will get this fixed.

A few other positive notes across both games.

1. Whaley & Sanogo have great hands and fantastic touch around the basket. For the first time in years our bigs can catch the ball down low and put an aggressive move to the hoop.

2. Our high quality passing has something to do with point 1. Gaffney is a great distributor and Jackson has incredible talent for hitting an open guy - some of his entry and transition passes in the CCSU game looked effortless, the same way Mahomes somehow puts insanely tough passes on a dime. Cole can pass, so can Martin and BA.

3. Offensive rebounding is clearly a priority for the team and something we do well. We have multiple guys with a natural nose for the ball - Martin's rebounding performance in the Hartford game was awesome.

4. We are a really deep team with almost everyone capable of playing multiple positions. Lots of lineup flexibility.

My only criticism is that our bigs are more effective posting up down low than in the pick & roll game. Keep them in the paint, not 30 feet from the hoop. Then again, there is a reason I am only a poster on the yard and not coaching the team.

I am encouraged.

Reaction Score
JB to me has played somewhat "soft" so far. He's spending a lot of time on the ground, sulking, and 'hurt' not injured. Two games in so way too early to make that call but that is a sign of someone that isn't ready to fulfill his potential. Hoping he snaps out of it but just something I've caught myself noticing throughout the game. Get up, show fi ght, and lose the woh is me. Killers figure this out on their own. Jalen Adams never overcame this. I think this is one of the most important differences between the leader of a successful team and the leader of..... He's our leader either way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Color me encouraged . . . except when we allowed Hartford players to run right down the middle for uncontested dunks.

I know our first two opponents had low Kenpom ratings, but does the new AP and/or coaches' poll come out tonight? I'm looking for more encouragement. ;)

EDIT: AP is out. Received 6 pts. :(

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think what some people are overlooking is how many minutes have been lost from last year and how many new players have to be integrated into the team.

Here are the minutes played from last year:

Vital 998
Gilbert 815
Bouknight 725
Akok 701
Adams 681
Carlton 659
Gaffney 595
Whaley 565
Polley 378
Wilson 265

So, ~56% of the minutes played from last year are either gone, injured or benched.

As for starts from last year:

Vital 31
Cartlon 31
Akok 24
Gilbert 20
Bouknight 16
Polley 15
Gaffney 11
Whaley 6
Adams 1

So, ~73% of the starts from last year are either gone, injured, or benched.

How could people not expect the start of the season to be a little sloppy, especially given COVID? Hurley is doing the right thing by trying to figure out the rotations early in the season to get ready for the real season, the Big East and the NCAA Tournaments.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Re-watching the highlights from the CCSU and Hartford game, there were 3 clear differences that was reflected in the margins of victory. All are correctable. Ball movement, transition offense and sustained intensity.

We had all 3 for 40 minutes in the CCSU game but was lacking them for most of the Hartford game. This isn't a talent or conditioning issue, this is purely mental. Hurley will get this fixed.

1. Whaley & Sanogo have great hands and fantastic touch around the basket. For the first time in years our bigs can catch the ball down low and put an aggressive move to the hoop.

2. Our high quality passing has something to do with point 1. Gaffney is a great distributor and Jackson has incredible talent for hitting an open guy - some of his entry and transition passes in the CCSU game looked effortless, the same way Mahomes somehow puts insanely tough passes on a dime. Cole can pass, so can Martin and BA.

3. Offensive rebounding is clearly a priority for the team and something we do well. We have multiple guys with a natural nose for the ball - Martin's rebounding performance in the Hartford game was awesome.

4. We are a really deep team with almost everyone capable of playing multiple positions. Lots of lineup flexibility.

My only criticism is that our bigs are more effective posting up down low than in the pick & roll game. Keep them in the paint, not 30 feet from the hoop. Then again, there is a reason I am only a poster on the yard and not coaching the team.

I am encouraged.

I've seen several times in both games where the secondary break was there for the talking and the guards pulled it back.

I believe that is intentional as Hurley wanted to work the half court offense.

I have little doubt UConn could have won both games 105-50 if they wanted to pressure D for full court or 3/4 court and run all day. And the ayers and coaches would have gained nothing from it.

Reaction Score

I am encouraged.

Huh? Sanogo may be a post up player, but let's be fair -- he's played against opponents with such height and/or athletic deficits that we only know he can overpower people. Not that he can makes moves and score against big time copetition. And Whalley never was, is not and never will be a post up player. Whalley gets the vast majority of his points by waiting for his man to turn his attention elsewhere and then move to the hoop.

We have one big who has proved he can score with his back to the basket againt real opponents, and he isnt'playing. (Which is fine -- I am not doubting Hurley's judgment -- but let's not pretend we know that 'Nova or Providence would have to double team Sanogo or Whalley if they post up.)

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just me, but I saw a team that overcame adversity & got a win. Our star player came out on fire, then went ghost the entire second half due to a jammed thumb, foul trouble & him getting in his own head by forcing up shots [common with young players]. Our second top scorer also battled foul trouble & both players were out of the game during a crucial 5-minute stretch towards the 10 minute mark. During that span, our other players --- Whaley, Gaffney, Martin, Sonogo, etc. balled out & secured a win that many of our teams of recent may not have.

It's a weird year & a lot of upsets are occurring across the country. Hartford certainly isn't the best team that we'll face this year, but they played hard & showed heart. There is a lot to work on & Hurley lit into them after the game to make sure they were aware of it, but I was encouraged to see the depth, versatility & accountability. Far from a finished product, but certainly a lot to work with.

I am happy that our roster and recruiting are headed in the right direction. I am not discouraged by our play to date, which in a normal year would have been our two warm up games against D II opponents.

But actually encouraged by the team's play last week? No, you can't be. They got their wins but showed they have a longer way to go to being a good team than I would have hoped. Which doesn't mean they won't be a good team.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm excited more than encouraged. Dan is recruiting well. The kids are likable. Bouknight is a joy to watch. That left handed baby hook from Sanogo is encouraging for sure.

I think that we'd have a lot of new guys to integrate even in a normal year, and trying to do it in this Covid shortened season, with the 14 days lost, is even harder. So while we may not be thrilled with the defense in either game, or the offense against Hartford, it could be a lot worse. We are 2-0, on to the USC Trojans. I hope we rise to the occasion.

Virginia upset by San Francisco in men's college basketball (usatoday.com)

Reaction Score
We have a lot of talent. I’m just worried that our two point guards aren’t looking that good. They need to guard the perimeter better and get to the rim consistently to open things up. Neither is happening.

Reaction Score
* yeah. It's early. Barely practiced and the improved play of our bigs has been on an upward trend over during the Hurley tenure. I like Carlton. Surprised he's found such little pt, but his benching indicates the competition for pt is pretty legit. Our mult-year starter was benched in a significant way by the new talent.

It's a pretty cold world for Josh.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Whaley has been impressive this year. Anyone think this what senior year would have looked like back in freshman year?
We actually saw a hint of his energy and BBIQ at the end of his freshman year. But as a sophomore, and even through the beginning of his Junior year, something didn't click between him and DH, and he didn't get the minutes to showcase his combination of enthusiasm and talent. I remember looking forward to how he was going to do as a soph, and couldn't figure out how he got his backside stuck to the bench so firmly. Then last year, until DG's hand was forced by the Akok/Polley injuries, Whalley still wasn't getting much burn. I believe his play once he got the chance opened the coach's eyes. Wonder if he'll get the greenlight to take some outside shots at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom