Anybody else feel bad for Jamal Coombs McDaniel? | The Boneyard

Anybody else feel bad for Jamal Coombs McDaniel?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3149
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 3149

He was never my favorite player, but he was always a contributor throughout his 2 years at uconn. Very sad what happened to him with drug charges and then knee problems. If he stuck through it, I think Calhoun and Ollie could've gotten the best out of him for his junior and senior seasons. He definitely would've had a chance to shine last season, even without a postseason. Wouldn't have shocked me if he somehow developed into 2nd round talent. Instead, he took the Doug Wiggins path. I feel bad for the kid.

Reaction Score
Um no.

Shaky shooter, no athleticism. But in his mind,
He shoulda been a go-to-guy.

Right.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He definitely would've had a chance to shine last season, even without a postseason. Wouldn't have shocked me if he somehow developed into 2nd round talent.

I think he would have been a chemistry killer and the the team would have been nowhere near as successful. That said, I hope he gets his head on straight once he realizes that his future is not in hoop.

Reaction Score
I think he would have been a chemistry killer and the the team would have been nowhere near as successful. That said, I hope he gets his head on straight once he realizes that his future is not in hoop.

I think the Chemistry of that team was already killed.

Reaction Score
Unpopular opinion, but yeah, I do feel kind of bad for him. He wasn't going to be a lottery pick or all-American like he envisioned, but he had the talent to be a damn good college player and he threw it all away because of some combination of ego, drugs, and injuries.

Reaction Score
NO........was all about Jamaal. Did get that big rebound but I found him out on the wing off rebounds too much after not playing sterling defense. He and AO........well 'nuff said!!

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
He is young and made some bad/questionable choices. It happens. If he shows up at a home game , how will he get treated?

Reaction Score
Thanks for the rebound.

This ^ Also, thanks for the three game scoring run where he showed his ability. He didn't live up to our (his) expectations but most of that is on his head.

Reaction Score
No, kid was a punk. If he played for any other team people would bash him.

Reaction Score
It wasn't even just the rebound, it was the heady timeout afterward before he traveled or got tied up.

Jamal Coombs-McDaniel and Chris Webber - two guys who will be forever associated with timeout calls. Although only one of them ever won a ring.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I don't wish him ill will. He's in a position to make things much worse for himself easily. I hope he has the inner strength and support system to regain his footing.

Chemistry? It's possible he would go the Oriakhi path and feed off each others dissatisfaction.

Reaction Score
I feel bad for any kid in trouble whether or not it is self inflicted. Sometimes 1 borderline bad decision can put a kid in a hole.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with him . In fact I'm a fan for his contribution to the great memories of 2011. I'm not a hypocrite so I won't deride his bad habits.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He smokes weed. So do a lot of people.

People have completely distorted memories of Jamal Coombs-McDaniel. He didn't think he was an NBA caliber player. In fact, when he was being recruited, he asked Calhoun point blank if Calhoun really thought he could play at Uconn or just wanted Jamal Coombs-McDaniel because it would help with Oriakhi. Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was actually a very technically strong player on offense. He moved incredibly well without the ball against zones, and that three game stretch in February where he tore it up was mostly on catch-and-shoots 6 feet and in. He was an average at best athlete and also one of those rare players where coaching made his shot worse.

He won a championship, and saw that he would have trouble getting on the court the next year, so he went to a mid-major, which was more in line with his talent. And then he got hurt. Stuff happens. Given what happened, it is hard to argue that he wouldn't have been better off at UConn, but I certainly appreciate his desire to play. These kids only get one college basketball career.

Reaction Score
He smokes weed. So do a lot of people.

People have completely distorted memories of Jamal Coombs-McDaniel. He didn't think he was an NBA caliber player. In fact, when he was being recruited, he asked Calhoun point blank if Calhoun really thought he could play at Uconn or just wanted Jamal Coombs-McDaniel because it would help with Oriakhi. Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was actually a very technically strong player on offense. He moved incredibly well without the ball against zones, and that three game stretch in February where he tore it up was mostly on catch-and-shoots 6 feet and in. He was an average at best athlete and also one of those rare players where coaching made his shot worse.

He won a championship, and saw that he would have trouble getting on the court the next year, so he went to a mid-major, which was more in line with his talent. And then he got hurt. Stuff happens. Given what happened, it is hard to argue that he wouldn't have been better off at UConn, but I certainly appreciate his desire to play. These kids only get one college basketball career.

I don't think he really had the choice of coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom