Any Updates on Wilson? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Any Updates on Wilson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The last time we played UCONN in Columbia. . .

. . . I was at that game, in Columbia. It was a homecoming game for Kalana Greene and was a memorable occasion.

While UConn was in SC, Dawn asked Geno if she and her team could watch UConn practice. Geno obliged her so so Staley and her players could see the level of effort required to consistently play at a national championship level.

This says a lot about the character of both coaches. And their mutual respect for one another.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
. . . I was at that game, in Columbia. It was a homecoming game for Kalana Greene and was a memorable occasion.

While UConn was in SC, Dawn asked Geno if she and her team could watch UConn practice. Geno obliged her so so Staley and her players could see the level of effort required to consistently play at a national championship level.

This says a lot about the character of both coaches. And their mutual respect for one another.
They both want to see the continued expansion of women's sports. I don't understand why so many people are resistant to seeing women's sports funded in the same manner as men's sports.

Reaction Score
Just reading that article makes me wonder why Geno is recruiting her. If she really has the attitude that she is only going to play a guard position then let her go to S.C., Tenn or Duke. She can sit her guard on the bench while Stewie and company cut down the nets. We have enough guards and other players that would move to any position if asked by the coach and don't need some selfish player on the squad. I realize she is still a kid, but IMO that isn't quite the attitude that flies with Geno. Of course, I am obviously wrong or he wouldn't be recruiting her. :confused:
I get the impression that the remarks she made about being a guard were made shortly after her growth spurt when she hadn't really adapted to her new size. After that she's spent time in the weight room and I thnk you'd find her answer appreciably different now. I'm not suggesting that she wants to play the 5 position but I think she's more flexible to playing wherever she's most likely to impact the game in a positive manner and where she's most likely apt to continue to flourish as a player. That might be becoming a mirror image of Breanna Stewart, someone who can play in the post, someone who could roam out and finish from 15 feet and someone who has probably some of the passing skills and shooting skills of Stef. Sounds like a winner to me and I hope the Huskies get her for their sakes but also very much for hers. It would enable her to become all that she can be. No where else will she develop as well or as quickly as she would at UConn under Geno's tutelage.

Reaction Score
If you know anything about Dawn Staley, you know that she runs the team and is tough as nails. Next season, we will have Elem Ibiam, Alaina Coates, Aleighsa Welch and Jatarie White sharing the time at the 4 and 5 spots. A'ja will fit on the team much better in the 3 spot. We also have Asia Dozier at the 3 and next season, Tiffany Mitchell, Kaydra Duckett, Tina Roy and Doniyah Cliney at the 2 and Kadijhah Sessions, Bianca Cuevas, Olivia Gaines and Tiffany Davis at PG. The best place for A'ja to contribute will be at the 3 with maybe occasional action at the 4.

The person that posted to you was probably reacting to your statement you made earlier in italics-

"She will play the 3 at South Carolina; A'ja prefers it."

When you mention A'ja "prefers it" it sure doesn't sound like Dawn runs the team and is tough as nails. Maybe it is- depending on interpretation of the underlined. But I would think to some of us-- you aren't "tough as nails" when you are letting a player dictate where she wants to play before she ever even plays unless itis obvious.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I get the impression that the remarks she made about being a guard were made shortly after her growth spurt when she hadn't really adapted to her new size. After that she's spent time in the weight room and I thnk you'd find her answer appreciably different now. I'm not suggesting that she wants to play the 5 position but I think she's more flexible to playing wherever she's most likely to impact the game in a positive manner and where she's most likely apt to continue to flourish as a player. That might be becoming a mirror image of Breanna Stewart, someone who can play in the post, someone who could roam out and finish from 15 feet and someone who has probably some of the passing skills and shooting skills of Stef. Sounds like a winner to me and I hope the Huskies get her for their sakes but also very much for hers. It would enable her to become all that she can be. No where else will she develop as well or as quickly as she would at UConn under Geno's tutelage.
I certainly hope you are right, and with Geno still recruiting her I assume this has been a topic of conversation. :)

51 TO GO

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The person that posted to you was probably reacting to your statement you made earlier in italics-

"She will play the 3 at South Carolina; A'ja prefers it."

When you mention A'ja "prefers it" it sure doesn't sound like Dawn runs the team and is tough as nails. Maybe it is- depending on interpretation of the underlined. But I would think to some of us-- you aren't "tough as nails" when you are letting a player dictate where she wants to play before she ever even plays unless itis obvious.
A'ja "does" prefer playing the 3, but that is also where she will fit in best with the other players on South Carolina's team. I also think it is the position that will best take advantage of her talents. It's a win win situation. It has nothing to do with Dawn Staley's toughness or control of the team, both of which are undeniable. We already have talented depth at center and power forward. We're a little weak at small forward.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There is surprisingly little worthwhile video of her on the net. What is available provides little opportunity for evaluation. Most of what is out there is what you see so often: a clearly under matched performer doing just fine. What I have not seen is any particularly good ball handling or speed on the floor. It is enough for me that Geno has given her a yes. I think some want to over read what is out there about what she sees herself doing and then blame her for it. Thankfully not too many.

As far as those fans of other programs who proffer the thought that Geno has told her what she wants to hear, that is ridiculous. Geno's calling card in home visits, confirmed a number of times by recruits parents, is his variously expressed I promise you nothing but the opportunity to earn what you deserve. The most recent example I believe was Stewie.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
^I guess we'll all find out during the McDonald's All American Game. Even though she went to high school 15 minutes from my house, I've never seen her play in person.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
She was pretty good this summer with USA basketball. Not Stewie good, but very very talented.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Geno has said quite a few times how he recruits. Apparently you never heard him speak of it- thus it's a bit outrageous why you are arguing on this site how he'll recruit. Your below comment in italics is the antithesis of how he has said he recruits. No offense- but do we believe him who has spoken how he recruits or do we believe a Tenn fan that is making assumptions as to how he'd recruit and then projecting it on Geno?

"Aja is the type of elite player that can pretty much choose what position she wants to play...."

Please tell which players in the past you think has dictated to Geno where she wants to play and he has acquiesced.
[/quote]

You've taken what ive said out of context and twisted it. If you think I've been trying to argue how I think geno recruits, then you've totally misunderstood what I've been saying

Reaction Score
A'ja "does" prefer playing the 3, but that is also where she will fit in best with the other players on South Carolina's team. I also think it is the position that will best take advantage of her talents. It's a win win situation. It has nothing to do with Dawn Staley's toughness or control of the team, both of which are undeniable. We already have talented depth at center and power forward. We're a little weak at small forward.

But what difference does it make which postion A'ja prefers? The coach that is tough as nails (whether it be Geno or Dawn etc) will look to play her at the postion they feel is best, right? So what does it matter what position A'ja feels when you have coaches that are tough like the both of ours?

Reaction Score

You've taken what ive said out of context and twisted it. If you think I've been trying to argue how I think geno recruits, then you've totally misunderstood what I've been saying[/quote]

Okay I'm sorry. I do think that is what you have been saying. The below comments in italics from you indicate imo how you think Geno should recruit A'ja. The below comments imo seem to suggest you seem to think he should take her no matter what. So I've taken all these comments out of context because you didn't mean Geno should take her basically under nearly any circumstance? Again sorry if I did - and I'll end it there. If it's not what you meant then I don't understand where you are coming from. That's okay - I don't believe we'll get her anyways.

1---"Aja is the type of elite player that can pretty much choose what position she wants to play...."

2---"Geno, like every other coach who is recruiting her, will certainly respect her playing wishes if it means getting her on campus. . ."

3---"You don't think geno would make that kind of concession if it meant getting the caliber of player aja is? . . . "

4---"If you have some kind of insider info on how Geno recruits his players then I'd love to know. . ."

1--- So if Aja can choose any posiiton she wants, wouldn't it suggest that Geno is among the entire crowd of coaches that would take her under the circumstance from number 1 above that you cited?

2--- So with number 2, isn't this a projection by you as to how Geno is/ or should recruit her?

3--- Now with number 3, you're talking about "concessions." Concessions are discussed in recruitiing, aren't they? Thus aren't you projecting Geno is going to make concessions with A'ja?

4--- I think number 4 speaks for itself.

IMO everything you've said above is a recruiting projection made by you how Geno would or should react to A'ja if she were to demand to play a certain position.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
why do people keep going over what and how "Geno recruits"... even Geno says he had to adjust to this new generation of players.

If Stewie doesnt have a good pratice... she doesnt start? please

overall Geno treats the players the same but he also knows to whom he must be gentle with, and who he can stay just about whatever to.

I do agree that if a player is 6'4 and is talking about she want to play the point... that may be a bit much but dont be surprised to see the player used as a ball handler against a pressing team (Charde).

other than that... who knows what Geno is thinking and doing

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
why do people keep going over what and how "Geno recruits"... even Geno says he had to adjust to this new generation of players.

overall Geno treats the players the same but he also knows to whom he must be gentle with, and who he can stay just about whatever to.

I do agree that if a player is 6'4 and is talking about she want to play the point... that may be a bit much but dont be surprised to see the player used as a ball handler against a pressing team (Charde).

What Geno said when he was talking about adjusting his recruiting was he had to start sooner in the process and accept verbals in player's junior years. I'm sure he would even accept a player like Durrr's verbal even sooner.

There is no doubt that Geno doesn't promise playing time or a specific position to any recruit. That is what it appeared that a Tennessee fan and a South Carolina fan were intimating. If you are implying that Geno has changed he recruiting in this regard, you would be wrong. We have recent quotes from recruits that say that is one of the reasons they chose UConn (Stewart?). Nothing is promised, everything is earned.

It's not just a bad practice. It's showing Geno you aren't ready to play in a game. If that was the case, Geno might not start a player, even Stewart. I do believe she didn't start a few games her freshman year.

6'4" player breaking the press? Shocking.

cdn.breitbart.com/mediaserver/Breitbart/Breitbart-Sports/2013/04/09/Breanna-Stewart-APjpg.jpg

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I still dont believe its his way or the highway... he'll bend for certain players. not saying "Wilson come to UConn and you'll play point guard" but Im sure he didnt expect Dolson to be shooting 3's but over time both have come to the conclusion that she can knock them down at a good clip. You will not see Stokes shooting a 3. Kalana remember she couldnt shoot a lick but over time everyone was comfortable with her jacking up a few.

while recruiting he may be harsh as heck to see if the player will buy into it but once they're on campus he'll lighten up and let them do a few other things that he may notice in practice or pick up.

his ways arent in stone "in my opinion"

Reaction Score
I still dont believe its his way or the highway... he'll bend for certain players. not saying "Wilson come to UConn and you'll play point guard" but Im sure he didnt expect Dolson to be shooting 3's but over time both have come to the conclusion that she can knock them down at a good clip. You will not see Stokes shooting a 3. Kalana remember she couldnt shoot a lick but over time everyone was comfortable with her jacking up a few.

while recruiting he may be harsh as heck to see if the player will buy into it but once they're on campus he'll lighten up and let them do a few other things that he may notice in practice or pick up.

Agree. As you indicated, he coaches to a player's strengths and assists them to gain proficiency in other areas over time. If she has the skills of a 3, she'll get to use them in location on the court where she can be most successful.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I didnt say it was impossible but will she be UConn's starting PG next season... If Wilson can dribble to help the team he'll use her as such but of course Im not expecting him to meet her demands while sitting in her living room in South Carolina
Breanna-Stewart-APjpg.jpg

Reaction Score

IMO this is a non-debate caused by people confusing two different issues.

1. Geno loves it when players can do as much as possible. He adores the idea of a post that can do some ball handling, or shoot from distance, or pass like a guard. He loves guards and wings when they work hard on their rebounding, or post up when they have a mismatch. He encourages players to expand the horizons of what they can do, because it makes them more versatile and less predictable. The whole team benefits. And he always has.

2. What I suspect Geno does NOT love is the idea of a player dictating where she wants to play, even before she steps on a court at UConn. A player might have a pair of mental lists: "Stuff I like / want to get better at," and "Stuff I don't like." Geno has only one list: "Stuff the players will do or skills they will learn, whether they like it or not." :p

So if A'ja came to UConn, Geno would encourage her to continue developing her wing skills. She and Stewart would be great complements to each other, with A'ja perhaps receiving kick-out passes, or learning to distribute from the key a la Stef Dolson, or what have you. He would also encourage (read that as "order") her to continue improving her post skills, which she is already good at as was seen in the U-19 games. Geno would want her to do and learn everything she's capable of learning, for the benefit of the team. And if she were to balk at defending a 4 or 5, or posting up from time to time, or boxing out...she would be getting friendly with the feel of the bench. :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

There has never been any indication that that change has included promises of playing time or position.

Yes, Geno has sat Stewie.

True.

Different thing. As I suggested one the things about UCONN's offense is it puts players into different positions on the court through rotations and play. A'ja would develop the skills needed in each rotation to be a complete player. Not every offensive structure does that.

We have video from staff discussions that reinforce everything we have heard in the past concerning the staff confronting and challenging players from the need to grow up, do it the staff's way, and to focus etc. the staff is very direct in both evaluating players and in communicating the expectations, needs, and effort.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As has been mentioned, Geno surely wouldn't be keen on a player trying to dictate what position they would play, what positions they wouldn't play and how many minutes they would get in a home visit because I'm sure he would rightfully believe that player was selfish and wouldn't buy into "TEAM" first, something he would NEVER WAIVER on. As also has been mentioned, Geno would like all his players to be multi-dimensional so if A'ja has the skillset to play multiple positions, he wouldn't discourage that at all. I gather that whatever was said between them was satisfactory for both sides because it's obvious there is still an interest on Geno's part and we are still on A'ja's list of finalists. Had either side had a big disagreement on what the expectations are on either or both sides, the recruiting interest would have ended.

Reaction Score
Aja is the type of elite player that can pretty much choose what position she wants to play....
I can guarantee you that there isn't a coach in the world who would want her to play the two position for a variety of reasons. There is nothing to suggest that she is THAT capable a shooter from the perimeter and as a two, she would normally be expected to guard the opponents two guard who in 99 of 100 situations would be quicker and faster and likely to blow past her at will. Any asset she was on the offensive side, she would likely be a detriment on the defensive side. A sheer waste! Not only that, in trying to guard a quicker person time after time, she would likely be in a position to get herself in serious foul trouble, thus totally negating any advantage of being a superb 6'4" athlete. In the front court she would be able to really take advantage of her size or her quickness advantage as does Breanna and that is what makes her the BIG GET that has all the finalists for her services foaming at the mouth.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
IMO this is a non-debate caused by people confusing two different issues.

1. Geno loves it when players can do as much as possible. He adores the idea of a post that can do some ball handling, or shoot from distance, or pass like a guard. He loves guards and wings when they work hard on their rebounding, or post up when they have a mismatch. He encourages players to expand the horizons of what they can do, because it makes them more versatile and less predictable. The whole team benefits. And he always has.

2. What I suspect Geno does NOT love is the idea of a player dictating where she wants to play, even before she steps on a court at UConn. A player might have a pair of mental lists: "Stuff I like / want to get better at," and "Stuff I don't like." Geno has only one list: "Stuff the players will do or skills they will learn, whether they like it or not." :p

So if A'ja came to UConn, Geno would encourage her to continue developing her wing skills. She and Stewart would be great complements to each other, with A'ja perhaps receiving kick-out passes, or learning to distribute from the key a la Stef Dolson, or what have you. He would also encourage (read that as "order") her to continue improving her post skills, which she is already good at as was seen in the U-19 games. Geno would want her to do and learn everything she's capable of learning, for the benefit of the team. And if she were to balk at defending a 4 or 5, or posting up from time to time, or boxing out...she would be getting friendly with the feel of the bench. :)
well said... but people are acting like Geno has his fingers in his ears and dont want to hear anything a recruit says/request/demands etc.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I can guarantee you that there isn't a coach in the world who would want her to play the two position for a variety of reasons. There is nothing to suggest that she is THAT capable a shooter from the perimeter and as a two, she would normally be expected to guard the opponents two guard who in 99 of 100 situations would be quicker and faster and likely to blow past her at will. Any asset she was on the offensive side, she would likely be a detriment on the defensive side. A sheer waste! Not only that, in trying to guard a quicker person time after time, she would likely be in a position to get herself in serious foul trouble, thus totally negating any advantage of being a superb 6'4" athlete. In the front court she would be able to really take advantage of her size or her quickness advantage as does Breanna and that is what makes her the BIG GET that has all the finalists for her services foaming at the mouth.
A'ja isn't the kind of outside shooter to play the 2, but I think her combination of abilities is perfect for the 3 and also where she would be most comfortable, from what I've read. I'm sure she'll play wherever who coach wants her to play, but I think she'll be most effective and happiest at the 3. I know, if she comes to South Carolina, the 3 is where she would help us the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom