OT: - Any tips for putting better in golf? | The Boneyard

OT: Any tips for putting better in golf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've gotten better at golf except for putting. How can I improve? I'm tired of 3 putting so often. Distance seems to be the #1 error- can't get it consistently near the hole, could be way short or way long. Anything over 2 feet and I get really nervous. Help!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
caddyshack-chevy-chase.gif

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
I’m totally unqualified to give golf advice but one thing that helped me with putting distance was to visualize myself throwing a ball, which is much easier to judge distance, and then trying to translate that to a putting stroke

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've gotten better at golf except for putting. How can I improve? I'm tired of 3 putting so often. Distance seems to be the #1 error- can't get it consistently near the hole, could be way short or way long. Anything over 2 feet and I get really nervous. Help!
No idea if you play the same course often or not. But practice a few before playing to get a feel for speed. It varied on each course, also by how wet or dry it is. Even a shady green might be slower than a sunny one.

I'm a feel putter and I'm pretty good at lagging puts. Go to practice putting greens and work on lag putting at various distances and with different elevations. Downhill is obviously the hardest. Be aggressive putting uphill.

Reaction Score
I’m totally unqualified to give golf advice but one thing that helped me with putting distance was to visualize myself throwing a ball, which is much easier to judge distance, and then trying to translate that to a putting stroke
Do you mean, when I'm putting the ball, as my putting stroke happens I should be imagining I am rolling the ball underhand to the hole?

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Do you mean, when I'm putting the ball, as my putting stroke happens I should be imagining I am rolling the ball underhand to the hole?
I meant before you actually hit the ball. You could definitely try the rolling visualization as well, but I was more saying just to think about how much force would be needed to throw a ball (overhand) at a target, and how natural and easy that calculation is for my brain. Then thinking- ok, it shouldn’t be that difficult to do the same calculation for putting the ball at a target. Just something that helps me get more confident / comfortable before hitting the ball. It seems to me that being confident and comfortable when attempting a putt is as important or more than the technical application

Reaction Score
Tension is one of the biggest problems in golf. Loosen your grip on the putter, you're not trying to strangle it, result should be a better feel for the club striking the ball.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If I have time, I try to practice 3ft putts, 6ft putts, then 12 and 20 ft putts.

If you can consistently make from 3ft you shouldn't be 3 putting often. If you muscle memory what a 6ft putt feels like you'll make more and if you can lag 12/20 consistently you'll avoid leaving yourself more than 5 or 6 left for 2 putts.

Reaction Score
A few things that have really helped me:
  • Keep your head down through the putt. This advice is so cliche and overused for a normal golf swing, but so important for putting. Advice I got for a pro was to look at the ball and not move your eyes or head on short putts until you hear it hit the cup. My experience is that a ton of distance variability on golfers that struggle with it is mishitting putts.
  • Practice a ton of putts inside of 3 feet. You should be completely confident standing over those.
  • Mix up your lag putting practice. Don't hit 10 in a row from one distance and then move. Keep moving distances so you have to practice judging it and can't just keep making improvements based on your last stroke.
  • This last one you can take or leave. I switched from a traditional to a left hand low putting grip a few years ago. It has shaved a significant number of strokes off my score. It really helps me keep my wrists from getting too active. That's a pure preference thing though.

Reaction Score
While we're on the subject, someone explain the supposed advantage of this putting style:

1660838202306.png

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
This is probably terrible advice, but something that’s helped me with putts 4 feet and in, is after lining up the putt, I putt the ball while looking at the hole and not down at the ball. Since it’s a short stroke, I’m not really worried about mishitting the ball, and just focus on where i want it to end up instead

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
When hitting a golf ball they always tell to spit in your divot. The same can be applied to putting. Just practice keeping your eyes where the putt was stroked for a moment longer. Seems simple but it isn't. The desire to see the entire putt causes people to move their eyes/head earlier than they should. Initially when you try this your putts might be passed the hole more often than usual. That is because this technique allows for a better stroke. You can adjust it easily. Different grips and putters may help but keeping your head in position past contact is best way at getting better putting and in all golf shots.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
start by writing down the number of putts for each hole. after 1/2 dozen or so rounds, guess the average total for each round, and then work to lower it. say, average around 32? try to get it to 30, and so on.
on the sloped cup, when you miss it on the low side, remember that they call it 'the amateur side.' the high side is called 'the pro side.'
i also find that drawing the mental line from the cup to the ball, focusing on the part right in front of the ball, and then hitting exactly there, helps a lot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The best putting advice I ever got was from Jack McConachie about 30 years ago.

"Hit your wedge closer to the pin"

I have used the look at the hole while putting for a long time. I trust my putting stroke so I don't need to watch it. Looking at the hole helps another in distance control.

Reaction Score
Hit your wedge closer to the pin"
This. I was going to post the same thing but glad I finished reading the thread first ;)

The next most ‘useful’ piece of advice about playing is to keep the ball in the fairway. Lol

Reaction Score
Hold the putter like it’s a glass wand.
Follow through.
Long drawback for long putts, short for short putts.
Long putts: take the time to pick your line, find a spot just in front of your eyeline to roll the ball over, then you’re set. At the ball only focus on judging the distance and hit it immediately.

Reaction Score
Speed affects success in putting.. Usually two or three different lines (based on your speed) to put ball in the hole. Putts break the most as they approach the hole and are slowing down so you've got to take that into consideration when you're choosing your line.. In other words.. The last third of your putting distance to the hole should be part of the line you've chosen.

Like @WhereistheDove? said.. Head down until the ball is on the way helps with direction. You have to believe every putt is going in.. Figure out a pre-shot putting routine and stick with it.

Depending on your interest and budget.. Getting fitted for a putter by a competent fitter can work wonders.Plenty of putting books out there to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom