Any space for UMass football in all this conference madness? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Any space for UMass football in all this conference madness?

Reaction Score
I don't know if UMass can be successful in the two main sports given how far behind they are now, but if they are going to really make a push, now is the time. The existing revenue and conference models are getting hit with a Category 5 hurricane between the Transfer Portal, NIL, the College Football Playoff, and the impact of Streaming. I am not sure what is coming out the other side, but it will be different, and chaos is a ladder.
I don’t think the state of MA gives a flying crap about college football. They have Boston, Cape Cod, the Berkshires. Patriots, Celtics, Bruins. A lot of stuff you don’t have in other states that have only football (Ohio? Alabama). Where would you rather live if you had to spend the rest of your life there? MA or Alabama?

Reaction Score
I don’t think the state of MA gives a flying crap about college football. They have Boston, Cape Cod, the Berkshires. Patriots, Celtics, Bruins. A lot of stuff you don’t have in other states that have only football (Ohio? Alabama). Where would you rather live if you had to spend the rest of your life there? MA or Alabama?
They don't care about college athletics in general (except Beanpot hockey). Boston is a pro sports town. Berkshires and the Cape have nothing to do with the lack of support for college football.

Reaction Score
It comes with winning. Folks have been excited around here with the recent success of hockey. Folks are still into BB but still reflect on those legendary UMass/Temple battles of 25 years ago.

Reaction Score
New England, as a whole, has a reputation for not being avid fans of college football.

To a 76 year old raised in the south when we had no pro football or basketball teams south of Washington DC....the idea of an area with
the Yankees, Knicks, Red Sox, Patriots, Giants, and Jets, Celtics, Rangers, and Bruins still seems mind boggling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I also thought it was far fetched, but now that you have weighed in I’m thinking it’s more plausible. I remember well your keen insight when I was campaigning for UConn to the Big East.
I read that as he hurt your ego.

Reaction Score
I guess it all boils down to a matter of taste, or maybe of priorities. One needn't live in Massachusetts to watch the Patriots, Celtics, or Bruins. Anyone in the US can enjoy them by turning on a television. Massachusetts residents, on the other hand, can't flip a switch and dial-in wide-open spaces, clean air and water, unlimited outdoor recreation in dramatic settings, low taxes, an equable climate, and light traffic, among other blessings. Here's hoping the eastern hordes stay right where they are.

In your listing of attractions in Massachusetts, you forgot to mention the widely heralded Hancock Shaker Village. Its round barn is interesting, but as a whole, Hancock doesn't begin to compare in overall quality with the Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill in rural Kentucky, about halfway between Lexington and Harrodsburg.

Reaction Score
We've had dinner at the historic Shaker Vilage in their restuarant...toured the area...would not stay overnight...no TV's...no internet.

Reaction Score
We've had dinner at the historic Shaker Vilage in their restuarant...toured the area...would not stay overnight...no TV's...no internet.
No TV or internet? Horrors!

Reaction Score
I wonder if UMass would be a good fit for CUSA as a football member.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
UMass reportedly tried to get a football-only invite from CUSA; the conference declined

UMass's only real option would be MAC but I think that ship has sailed going full membership. Teams in Ohio have no interest in them. Buffalo has no interest in leaving MAC. Why leave geographical fit for AAC teams that are left? That contract is going way down next time it comes up.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The problem UMass is dealing with is that they want to keep all other sports in the A-10. No one is going to let them park football and only football in their conference.

Reaction Score
IF UConn gets an invite, UMass would seemingly have to beg the MAC for full membership if they want to survive. Ideally bringing Temple along with them. If not then Marshall or WKU? Just don't see any path of independence left at that point when all the other independents are basically gone.

Even further hypothetical if this happens.. when the ACC crumbles in five years do the weaker ACC NE schools (Syracuse, BC, possibly Pitt) with no home also go MAC? If so, it actually puts UMass in a great position compared to today.

Reaction Score
I think UMass & Delaware (if they chose to move up) would make sense to the MAC; UMass & Western Kentucky probably could've paired up last year and gotten into the MAC, after MTSU got cold feet and reportedly pulled out of a WKU/MTSU to the MAC pairing. UMass is running into the issue of needing to be willing to move all sports to get a home for football though... and they are still unwilling to leave the A-10 (although the A-10 payout really isn't great and the travel is just as bad as the MAC)

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I don't see the MAC adding anyone. ESPN has squeezed them as a conference and UMass adds travel expenses with no upside revenue wise. UMass has a problem if the AAC stays south. To me, with their lack of institutional support, they should go back to FCS. They are hanging their hat on Don Brown, who is old school and in his mid 60's. No other coach has had any modicum of success in Amherst (Football) so there really is no where else to go.

Reaction Score
I don’t think they should go Fcs but they kinda support things at a bare minimum. The contracts from G5 conferences pay so little that what they are doing with pay games could be just as much. also their stadium is not large enough and had to play at Gillette. Brown took a pay cut to be HC. Whipple doubled his salary to be an OC. As far as success I believe they are hoping to get lucky.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I would be in favor of adding UMass to the Big East, and figuring out a home for both of our football programs, maybe as football only within the AAC.

The primary mission of UConn's athletic program should be to destroy BCU's and Syracuse's athletic programs. There is no way into a P-Whatever unless those two programs are annihilated. UConn can lock down Connecticut and market into New York, and Syracuse has major problems both athletically and academically. Landing a death blow on BCU is going to be tougher. We could use UMass' help, and to make that help worth something, we have to help them. UMass has a lot more alumni in Massachusetts than BCU does, and probably a lot more alumni in Boston too.

There is basically no down side to this strategy. First of all, the status quo may be death. UConn can continue to do everything right, and we will continue to be boxed out because BCU and Syracuse are deemed to own the northeast. If we align with UMass, one of three things will happen:

1) UConn and UMass will eat away at BCU's fanbase, which will be easily measurable in a streaming world, and BCU will be weaker and weaker, and UConn and UMass will emerge as the premier programs in New York and New England. UConn and UMass become more viable as conference additions.

2) UMass continues to not be great, and is not viable as a conference addition, but UConn does become the most popular program in New England, by far, on streaming in part because UMass eats into BCU's fan base.

3) BCU and Syracuse continue to be viable athletic programs and none of the major conferences are interested in UConn as an addition. We are no worse off than if we did nothing with UMass.

Reaction Score
When UConn leaves the so-called Big East for either the ACC or B12, they can take our spot if it isn't grabbed by BC.

Reaction Score
I would be in favor of adding UMass to the Big East, and figuring out a home for both of our football programs, maybe as football only within the AAC.

The primary mission of UConn's athletic program should be to destroy BCU's and Syracuse's athletic programs. There is no way into a P-Whatever unless those two programs are annihilated. UConn can lock down Connecticut and market into New York, and Syracuse has major problems both athletically and academically. Landing a death blow on BCU is going to be tougher. We could use UMass' help, and to make that help worth something, we have to help them. UMass has a lot more alumni in Massachusetts than BCU does, and probably a lot more alumni in Boston too.

There is basically no down side to this strategy. First of all, the status quo may be death. UConn can continue to do everything right, and we will continue to be boxed out because BCU and Syracuse are deemed to own the northeast. If we align with UMass, one of three things will happen:

1) UConn and UMass will eat away at BCU's fanbase, which will be easily measurable in a streaming world, and BCU will be weaker and weaker, and UConn and UMass will emerge as the premier programs in New York and New England. UConn and UMass become more viable as conference additions.

2) UMass continues to not be great, and is not viable as a conference addition, but UConn does become the most popular program in New England, by far, on streaming in part because UMass eats into BCU's fan base.

3) BCU and Syracuse continue to be viable athletic programs and none of the major conferences are interested in UConn as an addition. We are no worse off than if we did nothing with UMass.

This is an amazing Manifesto.

UMass isn’t stealing anyone’s fans.

Reaction Score
I personally wish them all the best ALWAYS, as long as UConn beats them. A strong/growing UMass football is good for us, too. that being said, does anyone know of talk/discussion on where they are during all this ongoing conference stuff? Sincerely hoping they find a home as well, before their runway ends.
Sleep Yawn GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom