OT: - Any mixologists out there? | The Boneyard

OT: Any mixologists out there?

Reaction Score
When I watch a game I usually just drink bourbon, beer or wine but I think it'd be fun if there were a good drink that someone can create. I live in TN with a 10month old so making it to the garden is tough. But if I can drink the same thing as some of you it may make me feel a bit more connected. Anybody want to suggest a recipe for a signature tourney drink? Maybe one themed after a player or 2? I'm sure this will devolve into a bunch of jokes, which is fine too.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
When I watch a game I usually just drink bourbon, beer or wine but I think it'd be fun if there was a good mojo drink that someone can create. I live in TN with a 10month old so making it to the garden is tough. But if I can drink the same thing as some of you it may make me feel a bit more connected. Anybody want to suggest a recipe for a signature tourney drink? Maybe one themed after a player or 2? I'm sure this will devolve into a bunch of jokes, which is fine too.

Mrs. Diesel stumbled across this one going backwards. She was looking to make an old fashioned but wanted something a little different.

Not only works great for game time sipping, if you have a sore throat, the combo of bourbon, honey and lemon is great for soothing an agitated throat.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Well, as a bourbon drinker myself, my favorite cocktail feels appropriate for UConn playing in MSG… the Manhattan.

I do 2.5 oz of woodford, 1 oz of carpano antica, 3-4 good dashes of bitters and a luxardo cherry in the glass (served up).

Reaction Score
Can't go wrong with a classic whiskey sour (Egg white from a large egg, 2 oz preferred whiskey, 0.75 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice, 0.75 oz 1:1 simple syrup, shake without ice, shake with ice, serve up and garnish with a few dashes of ango bitters)

I love New York sours too, basically the same thing but float on top like 0.25 oz to 1oz of red wine. Technically a Greenwich sour if with egg white.

If you like spicy a Kentucky mule is another great option. Especially if you make a homemade ginger syrup (1 part hot water, 1 part sugar, 1 part rough chopped ginger no need to peel, blend on high until sugar is dissolved, and strain through cheese cloth or a nut milk bag). 2 oz bourbon, 0.5 oz lime, 1 oz ginger syrup, serve in a collins glass with ice, top with 3ish oz of soda water. If no homemade syrup just use a quality ginger beer like ~4 oz of it. Garnish with fresh mint.

Reaction Score
Well, as a bourbon drinker myself, my favorite cocktail feels appropriate for UConn playing in MSG… the Manhattan.

I do 2.5 oz of woodford, 1 oz of carpano antica, 3-4 good dashes of bitters and a luxardo cherry in the glass (served up).
Recently attended mixologist class and they added the bitters after pouring in glass and did not mix into the Manhattan. It made a big difference in being able to enjoy the bitters. I used black walnut bitters.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Scoop out a 1/2 cup of Cherry Garcia (1 pt) then microwave until soft.

Pour 1/2 pt of Everclear into the ice cream. Refrigerate for one hour, or until the Everclear has soaked in.

Freeze until use.

Before enjoying the ice cream drink 1 liter of water.

After eating ice cream drink 1 liter of water.

Feel free to let the ice cream melt and enjoy as a milkshake.

I did this once with THC infused Everclear, or so I'm told. Don't remember much from that night.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Cherry Garcia​

Pour 1/2 pt of Everclear into the ice cream. Refrigerate for one hour, or until the Everclear has soaked in.

Freeze until use.

Revolutionary!

Reaction Score
I've come to enjoy a Black Manhattan.
  • 2 ounces bourbon or rye (I prefer the rye in this one).
  • 1 ounce of Averna Amaro (easy to find).
  • 2 dash of bitters (recipe says 1 each of angostura and orange).
  • cherry to garnish if you want it to look cool or have an excuse for dessert.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Freeze until use.

I did this once with THC infused Everclear, or so I'm told. Don't remember much from that night.

A 1/2 cup of ice cream and half a pint of Everclear? What type of sub-zero freezer are you using to get that to freeze.

There's winter grade antifreeze that will freeze before a 1/2 pint of Everclear.

I now want to try this, and yes, diluting everything with 2 liters of water is probably a real good idea.

Reaction Score
Found a great recipe online:

BREAKDOWN OF A BIONIC BEAVER
1 60 oz Pitcher of Ice (approx 50 oz liquid)
25 oz Miller High Life
1.5 oz Vodka
1.5 oz Gin
1.5 oz Rum
1.5 oz Triple Sec
4 oz Sour Mix
4 oz Grenadine
2 oz Cranberry Juice
2 oz Sprite

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Recently attended mixologist class and they added the bitters after pouring in glass and did not mix into the Manhattan. It made a big difference in being able to enjoy the bitters. I used black walnut bitters.
Will try that next time!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
A 1/2 cup of ice cream and half a pint of Everclear? What type of sub-zero freezer are you using to get that to freeze.

There's winter grade antifreeze that will freeze before a 1/2 pint of Everclear.

I now want to try this, and yes, diluting everything with 2 liters of water is probably a real good idea.

My sub zero reaches -10 F. Everclear freezes at something like -170 F. Not a problem seeing as though the goal isn't to make ETOH ice cubes.

The consistently of the ETOH infused ice cream from a sub zero is perfect as long as it is evenly mixed before eating.

My guess is adding the Everclear while the ice cream is store bought cold, and putting it in the sub zero right away, will still result in the ice cream being evenly infused as long as it's not left in the sub zero too long.

When I've done this, the Cherry Garcia is nearly soft enough out of the freezer to enjoy as is. A little more melting, and it can easily be churned with a spoon.

But your point is well taken. If the procedure I mentioned above is followed, and too much time has passed before being consumed, it will likely be ice cream floating on a pool of Everclear. If that's the case, let's call it Cherry Garcia with an Everclear chaser.

The ice cream, btw, has two purposes: taste great, and less burning if you didn't drink on a full stomach (of real food, not bar/junk food), and didn't stay hydrated.

Let's call it the Cherry Garcia Volcano. Your esophagus will thank me.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I like an Old Fashioned for Bourbon. Sazerac for Rye, but it's tricky to make. My favorite cocktails are actually the old original recipe rum drinks. The original Trader Vics Mai Tai is spectacular. A proper Daiquiri is also a wonderful cocktail, nothing like the slushy crap you may be thinking. There is also a Hemingway Daiquiri

Reaction Score
I like an Old Fashioned for Bourbon. Sazerac for Rye, but it's tricky to make. My favorite cocktails are actually the old original recipe rum drinks. The original Trader Vics Mai Tai is spectacular. A proper Daiquiri is also a wonderful cocktail, nothing like the slushy crap you may be thinking. There is also a Hemingway Daiquiri
I agree 100 on the rum drinks. Rum in general is such an undervalued liquor. You can get a great, complex rum, as satisfying as many good whiskies but at a fraction of the cost. Probably due in part because there is still very little hype surrounding it.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Since we are on the topic, I can't believe no one's mentioned the official drink of my days at UConn:

1 garbage pail
Lots of Ice
Fruit (stolen from dining hall)
1 case of UConn fruit punch (purchased from dairy bar or stolen from dining hall)
4 bottles of Everclear (or more to taste)

Soak fruit in Everclear for up to 24 hours, combine all ingredients in the garbage pail, warn all freshman and out-of-staters, watch the ladies drop. Don't forget to decorate the water fountain as the mandated "alternative non-alcoholic beverage."

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score

Freeze until use.

then you took your profile pic right after consuming this

Reaction Score
Kamikazes, because we will bomb them.

At school late at night we would sing,”And we’re drinking kamikazes and it shows.”

great times.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree 100 on the rum drinks. Rum in general is such an undervalued liquor. You can get a great, complex rum, as satisfying as many good whiskies but at a fraction of the cost. Probably due in part because there is still very little hype surrounding it.
The hype is building. Foursquare stuff is expensive, as are some of the independent bottlings. But you can get some really good rums at fair prices, and the various countries and islands have differing styles that give rum a wide range of profiles. Bourbon drinkers should probably start with Barbados and Privateer out of Massachusetts.

Highly recommend the book And a Bottle of Rum by Wayne Curtis, which is informative and actually quite a fun read.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom