OT: - Any advice on finding a lost dog? | The Boneyard

OT: Any advice on finding a lost dog?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Ugh. We were visitng people in a pretty remote area - mostly large working ranches, and our 1 year old dog, who is not a wanderer, dissapeared. It's been about 10 hours. We've done the obvious stuff - contacted all nearby neighbors, posted on social media groups, contacted the local humane societies and animal control. She was wearing a reflective collar with ID and our phone numbers.

The whole family is pretty distraught. She's a really sweet dog, and I'm sure she's scared to death. And it's been getting down into the 20s here overnight. I gave up searching about an hour after dark. But I plan to head back out there at first light. Anyone have any tips on searchnig for a lost dog in a rural area?

I realize this is a long shot, but worth a try. I'd really like to see our dog again.

Reaction Score
Ugh. We were visitng people in a pretty remote area - mostly large working ranches, and our 1 year old dog, who is not a wanderer, dissapeared. It's been about 10 hours. We've done the obvious stuff - contacted all nearby neighbors, posted on social media groups, contacted the local humane societies and animal control. She was wearing a reflective collar with ID and our phone numbers.

The whole family is pretty distraught. She's a really sweet dog, and I'm sure she's scared to death. And it's been getting down into the 20s here overnight. I gave up searching about an hour after dark. But I plan to head back out there at first light. Anyone have any tips on searchnig for a lost dog in a rural area?

I realize this is a long shot, but worth a try. I'd really like to see our dog again.
I have no idea if this works, but I've heard of people leaving their dirty laundry or anything with as much of your sent on it as possible outside in hopes they can catch a whiff of it.

Reaction Score
If you're not using your car leave 2 doors open and maybe your dog will show up and jump in. It's the only familiar Item that will be outside while you're in. Another animal might also but I'd take the chance. Leave some scent or blanket. Then check every hour or 2. Good luck.

Reaction Score
I feel for you. I was watching my son's 1 year old lab and he ran out the slider when I went out to grill (it was dark already) and he ran into the woods. My heart was pounding I was so worried but I went inside and got some of his food and put it on the deck and within a minute he came back.

Might be too late for this but put some of his food out. Similar to the scent of your clothes, dogs will smell food.

Also, is there a dog in the house you're visiting? If there is then if your dog knows that dog then take that dog with you on your search. Dogs attract other dogs.

Good luck.

Reaction Score
If you're not using your car leave 2 doors open and maybe your dog will show up and jump in. It's the only familiar Item that will be outside while you're in. Another animal might also but I'd take the chance. Leave some scent or blanket. Then check every hour or 2. Good luck.
If you're not comfortable leaving your car open put some blankets next to it with a worn t shirt or similar.

Reaction Score

Yep, post on every social media site possible and call the cops. Fliers all over the area with your contact info.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and hoping she turns up.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Yep, post on every social media site possible and call the cops. Fliers all over the area with your contact info.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and hoping she turns up.
Thanks, will do all of the above. This hurts.

Senna1.jpg

Reaction Score
So sorry. They’re part of the family.
I don’t know how far you are from your house but we had a dog about 10 years ago breach from the doggy day care and 2 days later showed up at our house that was 2 miles away. Don’t know how but there she was.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I feel for you. I was watching my son's 1 year old lab and he ran out the slider when I went out to grill (it was dark already) and he ran into the woods. My heart was pounding I was so worried but I went inside and got some of his food and put it on the deck and within a minute he came back.

Might be too late for this but put some of his food out. Similar to the scent of your clothes, dogs will smell food.

Also, is there a dog in the house you're visiting? If there is then if your dog knows that dog then take that dog with you on your search. Dogs attract other dogs.

Good luck.
Good advice. She was playing with 2 other dogs at the house, one of them was her sister.

We left my vehicle there with the windows cracked open - she basically goes everywhere in it, so she should smell it if she's nearby. We also brought one of her dog beds and left it under the truck, along with some of her food (i expect some other critter will get that pretty fast).

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
So sorry. They’re part of the family.
I don’t know how far you are from your house but we had a dog about 10 years ago breach from the doggy day care and 2 days later showed up at our house that was 2 miles away. Don’t know how but there she was.
Post on NextDoor.com.
done. Problem is the place we were at is 20ish miles from home. I tried setting a location on Nextdoor for the post, but it looks like it still got published only to our neighborhood.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
If you're not comfortable leaving your car open put some blankets next to it with a worn t shirt or similar.
We came as close as we could. She went missing about 20 miles from where we live, but we shuttled my car (that the dog rides in everywhere) and left it there with the windows cracked, and her bed and food underneath. I didn't leave the windows open open, because i had racoon tracks on my drivers seat a few weeks ago, and bear paw prints on the windows a week or so before that.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Crinkle a potato chip bag...

pj

Reaction Score
done. Problem is the place we were at is 20ish miles from home. I tried setting a location on Nextdoor for the post, but it looks like it still got published only to our neighborhood.
Maybe the people you were visiting can post too?

temery

What?
Reaction Score

When you get home he'll be sitting on your porch. It'll be a Disney movie in a few years. Good luck.

Not helpful for this incident, but I got one of these for my cat. She wanders.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Thanks to everyone who helped us here.

My wife stayed overnight at the place where the dog went missing. Apparently she went out and called for the dog a few times during the night. Around 4:30 she jumped in our truck, which has a ridiculous LED light bar (thanks to the previous owner) and started driving around back roads again. Just before 5 she saw the dog dart across the road about 3/4 of a mile from where she was last seen, and finally managed to track her down. The dog was obviously freaked out, and tried to run away from my wife, but she finally got her into the vehicle. She's kinda banged up, but they just got home about 30 minutes ago.

Phew. Thanksgiving has been saved.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

My wife stayed overnight at the place where the dog went missing. Apparently she went out and called for the dog a few times during the night. Around 4:30 she jumped in our truck, whis has a ridiculous LED light bar (thanks to the previous owner) and started driving around back roads again. Just before 5 she saw the dog dart across the road about 3/4 of a mile from where she was last seen, and finally manged to track her down. The dog was obviously freaked out, and tried to run away from my wife, but she finally got her into the vehicle. She's kinda banged up, but they just go home about 30 minutes ago.

Phew. Thanks again!
A Thanksgiving miracle! Are there tracker locators that can pair up with your phone so this never happens again?

Reaction Score

My wife stayed overnight at the place where the dog went missing. Apparently she went out and called for the dog a few times during the night. Around 4:30 she jumped in our truck, whis has a ridiculous LED light bar (thanks to the previous owner) and started driving around back roads again. Just before 5 she saw the dog dart across the road about 3/4 of a mile from where she was last seen, and finally manged to track her down. The dog was obviously freaked out, and tried to run away from my wife, but she finally got her into the vehicle. She's kinda banged up, but they just go home about 30 minutes ago.

Phew. Thanks again!
I (and every dog owner on this board) woke up this morning hoping to see this!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

Thanks again!
Happy Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
A Thanksgiving miracle! Are there tracker locators that can pair up with your phone so this never happens again?
When we had her spayed, the vet asked casually if I wanted them to chip her. The idea just sounded kind of weird and invasive so my immediate, hasty reaction was no thanks. I'll be looking into it today for sure.

Reaction Score

Thanks again!

I was waiting half the night for this post. Glad to hear the good news! Get that dog some turkey and mashed potatoes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom