Another update on investigation from the Courant | The Boneyard

Another update on investigation from the Courant

Reaction Score
In case you missed it in the Zach Brown thread:

Far-Reaching NCAA Probe Focuses On Recruiting Process At UConn
The Courant has learned the NCAA has been interviewing various outside individuals, such as prep school coaches, about players UConn has recruited, whether or not they eventually committed to UConn.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, questions have been asked about numerous players, not necessarily one player or case, but generally about the program’s recruiting practices dating back a couple of years.

The inquiry, which UConn acknowledged Friday, has been going on for some time.

Reaction Score
#Emmert witch hunt!

You can tell he is grasping at straws when he needs to talk to (mostly, if not all) players who did not even come here.

He is so focused on his grudge with Uconn he almost does not even give attention to lville, MSU, zona, auburn, etc. What a shell of a "man".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Honestly I don't understand how the NCAA can pick and choose which schools to put under such a strong microscope..........if they are doing this to UConn they need to do this to everyone.

Investigating UConn about players that didn't come here? What is the point of this other than to destroy the program even further.

Our "recruiting process", c'mon man I doubt KO invented a new way to recruit & whatever his method it didn't work.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really interested to know how this got started and how it morphed into a fishing expedition where the NCAA appears to have devoted resources poking around for an extended period of time as far back as whenever. I just want to know what the bar is for an endless investigation on any program and how many similar investigations are taking place. Consider the NCAA was caught blind by the long term pay-for-play scandal and ignoring reports of sexual assaults while they were investigating UConn for what?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
#Emmert witch hunt!

You can tell he is grasping at straws when he needs to talk to (mostly, if not all) players who did not even come here.

He is so focused on his grudge with Uconn he almost does not even give attention to lville, MSU, zona, auburn, etc. What a shell of a "man".

It's incredible that he hasn't been suspended from his role given the MSU info. The NCAA has dropped the ball on so many of these scandals throughout the years to instead focus on which players are getting money for their parents heating bills and other minutiae.

Reaction Score
This explains why we have been struggling the past few years with recruiting. This verifies Ollie has been standing on pins and needles. As many of us know, there is a very fine line most coaches are willing to cross to cheat to get recruits. The problem is we have a BULLS EYE ON OUR BACK. Shabazz calling out the NCAA in 2014 after winning the National Championship only made matters worse.

Reaction Score
I'll post the same thing I did in the other thread.

Call me a homer but this sounds like a witch hunt initiated from someone with a vendetta against the program. I'm very curious to hear how this started and what they find.

I just have a hard time believing there are going to be serious violations uncovered.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb in saying that if this level of investigation happened at any high major program that some kind of violations would be uncovered. Why us again? Go investigate Kentucky and tell me they're 100% clean.

Reaction Score
can anyone with a somewhat decent understanding explain what is going on with the FBI investigation? I thought that turned up that specific players at specific universities were set up with money for signing with said universities. What ever happened with that aside from Pitino being fired? Is that also a current investigation, or was it all blamed on Adidas and everyone can go on as they were?

I kind of expected that huge news drop to have a lingering effect and cloud over the current season, but I really haven't heard a peep about it in the past couple of months. Are Arizona/Louisville/Auburn/etc facing penalties, or is there some UNC-esque explanation of why nothing needs to be done to punish them?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
If this investigation has been going on since the Fall, why would our AD say we are clean when the FBI news dropped? Didn't he know we were being investigated at the time?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This explains why we have been struggling the past few years with recruiting. This verifies Ollie has been standing on pins and needles. As many of us know, there is a very fine line most coaches are willing to cross to cheat to get recruits. The problem is we have a BULLS EYE ON OUR BACK. Shabazz calling out the NCAA in 2014 after winning the National Championship only made matters worse.

Yeah BUT UConn won, Shabazz had the stage and I would have been disappointed if he/KO/someone didn't call Emmert out in front of the national audience.
If Emmert didn't think it was coming he is a fool - which we all know is a given
Shabazz did it in the best way possible with the most impact
I could give a rats arse if it made matters worse
As far as I am concerned, if UNC and MSU skates - nothing else matters
I have a sneaking feeling that someone that felt they got burned by UConn/KO is behind this - Miller? The Vance Jacksons? A disgruntled Boneyarder? who knows

Reaction Score
If this investigation has been going on since the Fall, why would our AD say we are clean when the FBI news dropped? Didn't he know we were being investigated at the time?

It is unclear as to when UConn was actually notified that an investigation is beginning/in progress. My experience with the NCAA as a coach is that the NCAA does not necessarily notify a school that an investigation is commencing when the alleged violation comes from an outside source; in some instances like this, the NCAA does "preliminary work" before notifying the school; doesn't seem right but then again, it's the NCAA..........

Reaction Score
Perhaps the NCAA has lifted the hood on our Brewster pipeline:

Makai Ashton Langford
Sidney Wilson
Lukas Kisunas
Jalen Adams
4 commits in under 4 years

We were involved with a number of other BA alums that did not end up coming here. Does such a close association with one program raise a red flag?

We also have, or maybe had, what appeared to be a working relationship with PSA during our courting of Hami - we only ended up with Diarra but we've been involved with a number of others there.

Those two schools definitely stick out if that's what the NCAA is looking at but I'm sure other programs have pipelines at certain prep schools ....right? Ours doesn't seem egregious and worthy of investigation

Reaction Score
NCAA is finally getting around to punishing us ex post facto for the whole Beltway Ballers thing.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score

So true. It's not gonna change until there's turnover and change at the NCAA

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There are four participants in this matter that we know about- the UConn men's bb program, the NCAA, a source (most likely in the AD), and the Courant (the local rag).

Before I get really concerned I'd like to know if this investigation is confined to UConn or if it's a general investigation of the recruiting process. In other words are there other universities being questioned? If so how many and who are they?

The source has his or her motivation informing the Courant. Whatever that motivation may be (personal antagonism to someone in the men's bb program, a vendetta against KO for the program's failure or something else) the source has done damage. I'm not in favor of censorship, but if this is a broad NCAA investigation involving other university programs, the source is shortsighted in believing this expose is in the best interest of the university, now and for the foreseeable future.

The Courant will get more notice by indicating this is a problem that only or primarily involves UConn. If it's a generalized investigation most people reading the Courant will recognize that the NCAA is reviewing recruiting practices precipitated by the FBI investigation and the interest will be minimum. If its an investigation towards a small number of universities of which UConn is included than the interest will be, and should be, strong.

However if the source and/or the Courant is limiting the information its presenting to only that which is damaging to UConn and leaving out pertinent information such that this is an investigation by the NCAA of players named by the FBI and not an investigation about KO and recruiting then that source and/or the Courant should have consequences.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
In case you missed it in the Zach Brown thread:

Far-Reaching NCAA Probe Focuses On Recruiting Process At UConn
The Courant has learned the NCAA has been interviewing various outside individuals, such as prep school coaches, about players UConn has recruited, whether or not they eventually committed to UConn.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, questions have been asked about numerous players, not necessarily one player or case, but generally about the program’s recruiting practices dating back a couple of years.

The inquiry, which UConn acknowledged Friday, has been going on for some time.
Perhaps when all is said and done and one a few, almost unintentionall errors are discovered, UCONN will actually get a commendation for having such a respectable program?! ...not likely but I can dream!

Reaction Score
Recruiting violations are like holding in football. You can call it on almost every play if you want to and are looking for it hard enough. It appears Emmert and the NCAA are not only looking hard enough but are backing up the car to try and run us over yet again. Vendetta almost seems like an understatement at this point.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Vendetta almost seems like an understatement at this point.
The biggest issue facing the program right now is solving for X in this equation:

Vendetta < X < Persecution

Reaction Score
Remember... Jacobs is no longer w/ the Courant and had the initial story. Now the Courant may be playing “catch-up” a bit and developing “sources” as well - could be the same peeps but may also be different people.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
can anyone with a somewhat decent understanding explain what is going on with the FBI investigation? I thought that turned up that specific players at specific universities were set up with money for signing with said universities. What ever happened with that aside from Pitino being fired? Is that also a current investigation, or was it all blamed on Adidas and everyone can go on as they were?

I kind of expected that huge news drop to have a lingering effect and cloud over the current season, but I really haven't heard a peep about it in the past couple of months. Are Arizona/Louisville/Auburn/etc facing penalties, or is there some UNC-esque explanation of why nothing needs to be done to punish them?
I believe it's still technically on-going.,but it's hard to believe the FBI is going to dedicate a ton of resources to something like this. Plus the US Attorney who held that initial presser has been replaced.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom