Another Tiresome Headline | The Boneyard

Another Tiresome Headline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Flyers not intimidated by Elite Eight game against No. 1 UConn says the Dayton Daily News.

Well, why should they be? It's just a game, not MMA. UConn doesn't play goon ball. They just put the biggest 2nd weekend beat down in tournament history on their previous opponent and that team isn't any worse for wear. I'm gonna bet that the Flyers are going to give it all they got because they didn't come to Albany to lose, too.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't mind seeing UConn break their own record set on Saturday with a 52 point win.

Reaction Score
Hard to tell. Either they're shaking in their boots or they're saying What the hell, and throwing caution to the winds. Playing loose and free.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
To be fair, it's not like we could expect the following headlines
  1. Dayton expects to lose but will give their best effort
  2. Dayton decides to forfeit game since they know they will never win
  3. Dayton knows they will lose by 40 but is praying it will be only 25
  4. Dayton kids so nervous about facing UCONN that all of them puked up their breakfast
They probably look at it like a big challenge and hope that if they play their best that they can go out with their heads held high, or maybe even spring the biggest upset in NCAA history outside of Harvard's beating Stanford 15 years or so ago...

Reaction Score
Jabir coached at Providence for a while. Not sure if there were any ill feelings between him and Geno. Am not saying that that has anything to do with anything either. I do hope that Dayton puts it all out this evening and I am sure that they will. I am all for an underdog. I just wished that they had gone this far in a different region. Wishing them the best but I do not see them defeating what is standing in their path.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Subscription is needed to read anything other than the headline. Not worth $0.99 to hear yet another underdog say if they play their game they have a shot at beating UConn.
What on earth makes you think that they said that, specifically. I think Jabir is quite the realist. He doesn't have the talent.

Reaction Score
What on earth makes you think that they said that, specifically. I think Jabir is quite the realist. He doesn't have the talent.
Well, they did have a short video clip of one of their players who was asked what it would take to beat UConn..........I paraphrased her response. Watch it yourself.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Well, they did have a short video clip of one of their players who was asked what it would take to beat UConn.....I paraphrased her response. Watch it yourself.
Oh to be young.

Viv would have been pissed if an RU player ever said that. At Rutgers best (the years we were good and sometimes competitive with UConn) what one of the coaches once said was that they believed that, if they played perfectly, were lucky in ball bounces, etc. they had one "potential" win against UConn in them (these were seasons where we always played UConn more than once in conference). Once in a blue moon we did, often we "blinked" and UConn went on a 20-2 run and that was that. Realism is a healthy thing. Once when we were not having a great year, I can assure you the coaching staff didn't suggest any such thing.

HuskyJohn

Popular poster
Reaction Score
As Fiftyish noted above, the video interview with one of the Dayton players is free. When asked what it was like to be a low seed with all the other number one and two seeds, she said it was a great honor and good for the program.

Only when she was pressed with a follow-up question about whether she thought her team could win did she talk about what great coaches they had and how she and the team thought they could win if they scored as they usually do and take care of the ball.

As Eric said, what would we expect them to say? Hey, if they score 99 points against us as they did against Kentucky and have zero turnovers, I’m willing to give them an outside shot.

Reaction Score
As Eric said, what would we expect them to say? Hey, if they score 99 points against us as they did against Kentucky and have zero turnovers, I’m willing to give them an outside shot.
Exactly! She wasn't talking trash but she wasn't about to say she knew they didn't stand a chance.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
More pressure on the UConn team does not want to make the Final Four after 7 consecutive years.
Don't want to lose to an unranked team in the tournament.
Will be the most talked about upset in NCAA WBB Tournament History, eclipsing the #1 Seed Stanford vs #16 Harvard loss.
KML won't have a shot of breaking the career # of 3 point shots make. (If UConn loses tonight, KML won't tie or break record)
Won't send the UConn Seniors out as they deserve at least in the Final Four if UConn were to lose.
Stewie, Moriah and Morgan won't have a chance to win 4 National Championships.

These are some of the reasons that UConn won't overlook the Dayton Flyers.:):);)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer