Another Replacement Guard ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Another Replacement Guard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To be eligible to play this fall for UCONN a student athlete would have to be enrolled fulltime when the fall semester begins which is 29 August 2022. This would preclude a transfer because just about all WBB had to attend a summer sessions at current universities and the NCAA rules do not allow you to collect scholarship or financial aide from two different institutions in the same semester. For incoming transfers it is possible to become eligible for the spring semester which starts 17 January 2023.

Under NCAA rules, a player can be eligible as long as she is admitted by the 12th day of class. Of course it would be up to UConn as to whether to allow this, but I know of many cases where players have enrolled at a new school after the semester began.

Reaction Score
Anna Makurat was listed as guard when she was a freshman in 2019 -2020 and could still be eligibile.
Caroline Ducharme's sister Ashley is listed in the portal as a Brown senior grad transfer that has now "entered the workforce."
She's 6'1" and listed as a forward, & would probably be the equivalent of a walk on.
She made 40% of her FG's and 19% of her 3PT's last season.
Her FT% was 77.8%.

I'll bet that Geno is working his contacts, and I can't imagine him not wanting some roster insurance.
It will reflect badly on him if UConn is without an adequate bench this year.
I would really like an explanation of the bolded.
You are correct.

“Elena Buenavida signed a pro contract in Spain​

Posted on Jun 22nd, 11:39 AM, So will not join the Bruin WBB team this fall. Per most recent update from Coach Close Buenavida still needed to pass an English language proficiency exam.
Raoul Tweet re: Elena Buenavida
Too bad she isn‘t coming but fortunately the Bruins will have depth at point guard over the next few years, barring a transfer:“

I don't know if signing a pro contract would make her ineligible.
I think the pro contract is somewhat editorializing. There are college freshmen around the age that Buenavida will be in 2023 so it is possible that she might still have interest in college and signed an amateur deal. Money in Spain has not been that great recently and a lot of younger players have preferred college.

Contell though has probably already been professional. If the 2023 WNBA Draft was held today, she would probably be picked near the end of it. She has already decided to go on loan from Valencia to one of the new first division teams for this season.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Assuming Geno/UConn isn't able to find another guard prior to the season, I'm guessing Geno will have to rely on everything from the overall excellence of his 10 remaining scholarship players and (some of) their abilities to take on certain tasks of the UConn offense. An offense that may or may not have to be tweaked a bit given Paige's absence.

From my perspective (and I watch more UConn games than you might think):
  • Nika's the PG and she's going to have to stay out of foul trouble to both stay on the court and keep her designated back-up doing what she does best.
  • That back-up is Azzi Fudd, who can probably direct half-court sets and lead a fast break, but shines best as a scorer. Against top notch teams, she'll need to score.
  • I think the decision on maximizing talent is most intriguing at the wing or bigger guard position. With Paige, I think Caroline Ducharme, no brainer. But no Paige, does Caroline become the back-up off-guard if/when Azzi takes over lead guard?
And, if that's the case, do you start Lou Lopez Senechal at wing? Not only can she score, but she's a good rebounder as well.
- How good -- and versatile -- is Ayanna Patterson? Does she have the handle/medium-range game to play wing? Or is she more of a stretch 4?

Against lesser competition, I think Geno can mix and match without too many worries -- remember the level of talent is high -- but against tougher competition, it will be really interesting to see how he utilizes Ducharme and Senechal and how Patterson develops in the course of her freshman year.

p.s. Interestingly, because of mass transfers and only one frosh coming in, Notre Dame only has nine scholarship players.
The player I've got circled as key is also a wing -- Sonia Citron. ND really doesn't have another tall guard/wing who can do what she does. I can see her playing the 3, 2 and 4. And she probably will. On the UConn side, that will be Fudd, working the 2 and one.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Assuming Geno/UConn isn't able to find another guard prior to the season, I'm guessing Geno will have to rely on everything from the overall excellence of his 10 remaining scholarship players and (some of) their abilities to take on certain tasks of the UConn offense. An offense that may or may not have to be tweaked a bit given Paige's absence.

• Nika's the PG and she's going to have to stay out of foul trouble to both stay on the court and keep her designated back-up doing what she does best.
  • That back-up is Azzi Fudd, who can probably direct half-court sets and lead a fast break, but shines best as a scorer. Against top notch teams, she'll need to score.
  • I think the decision on maximizing talent is most intriguing at the wing or bigger guard position. With Paige, I think Caroline Ducharme, no brainer. But no Paige, does Caroline become the back-up off-guard if/when Azzi takes over lead guard?
And, if that's the case, do you start Lou Lopez Senechal at wing? Not only can she score, but she's a good rebounder as well.
- How good -- and versatile -- is Ayanna Patterson? Does she have the handle/medium-range game to play wing? Or is she more of a stretch 4?

Against lesser competition, I think Geno can mix and match without too many worries -- remember the level of talent is high -- but against tougher competition, it will be really interesting to see how he utilizes Ducharme and Senechal and how Patterson develops in the course of her freshman year.

p.s. Interestingly, because of mass transfers and only one frosh coming in, Notre Dame only has nine scholarship players.
The player I've got circled as key is also a wing -- Sonia Citron. ND really doesn't have another tall guard/wing who can do what she does. I can see her playing the 3, 2 and 4. And she probably will. On the UConn side, that will be Fudd, working the 2 and one.
Dillon, every time I read one of your insightful posts, I feel like Darth Vader talking to Luke Skywalker, wishing you would come over to the Dark Side as a fan of UConn WBB.

Somewhere Geno is saying, “Dillon I am your father.” :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would really like an explanation of the bolded.

I think the pro contract is somewhat editorializing. There are college freshmen around the age that Buenavida will be in 2023 so it is possible that she might still have interest in college and signed an amateur deal. Money in Spain has not been that great recently and a lot of younger players have preferred college.

Contell though has probably already been professional. If the 2023 WNBA Draft was held today, she would probably be picked near the end of it. She has already decided to go on loan from Valencia to one of the new first division teams for this season.
FIBA list Contell's DOB as 20 Dec 2003. If she is WNBA caliber as you are projecting then it is highly unlikely that she is coming to the US to play college ball. By coming to the US Contell would would not be WNBA eligible until spring of 2025.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I thought the consensus on the BY was that UConn needed more BIGS :)
Yea, the consensus of the BY isn't always the brightest. ;)

I tried telling some of the "bigs" people that we were set on bigs, but were a bit short on guards. Now we are even shorter. :(

Reaction Score

All good points. Because of the offensive adjustments necessary due to Bueckers' injury, I believe Senechal will become a major factor in how well this system operates. Auriemma has his reasons for why he may start Muhl and Ducharme may start as well but Senechal will likely be the first non-big to come in early. I then think this will be his best G/W combo offensively. It will be very important for Senechal to shoot to her capabilities for them to score the roughly 80 a game they'll need to compete with all the top teams they have on the schedule.

Reaction Score
Not sure you should start Nika unless she can display the discipline not to get into foul trouble by the middle of the 2nd quarter.
That will be the big reveal for her.
I’m thinking Azzi, Ducharme and Senechal, with Nika first in early to terrorize opponent and change the game flow.
As long as she keeps fouls to a minimum, she can stay in for extender periods and start the 3rd quarter.
And let’s be real- we have no idea how much Aubrey can contribute being out so long and rebounding from back surgery.
Do I hope for the best from her?-ABSOLUTELY- but, please show me.

Reaction Score
I’m thinking Azzi, Ducharme and Senechal, with Nika first in early to terrorize opponent and change the game flow.
As long as she keeps fouls to a minimum, she can stay in for extender periods and start the 3rd quarter.
Depending on who we are playing the line up may change slightly. But, right now it's going to be:

Nika - Point Guard
Azzi - Off Guard
Caroline - Wing
Dorka - Power Forward
Aaliyah - Center

That is our most experienced team. All of the others will be rotating in.

Reaction Score
Not sure you should start Nika unless she can display the discipline not to get into foul trouble by the middle of the 2nd quarter.
That will be the big reveal for her.
And let’s be real- we have no idea how much Aubrey can contribute being out so long and rebounding from back surgery.
Do I hope for the best from her?-ABSOLUTELY- but, please show me.

The team has only one PG, and you're not going to start her?

Reaction Score

Lopez Senechal was a poor rebounder last year at Fairfield. Only got 7.9% of available rebounds. Worse than Ducharme.

Reaction Score

All good points. I suspect Lou will be sub for all the guards. That is difficult to do with only one substitute for three positions. It is far from ideal, if Lou came in for Nika for example a little earlier than usual, you need to wait until she is rested enough to return before you sub for Caroline, then you need to wait until Caroline is rested enough to come in and spell Azzi, and when Azzi is rested enough she returns Lou to the bench.

The bottom line is if you want to avoid using the 5th option you wind up subbing for the first player early, and the last starter late. It also takes away most of the game management strategic decisions. It is hard to adjust to what is happening in the game with team needs or matchups because you are pretty tied to a very structured substitution pattern. That is why a four player rotation for three positions is very difficult, and most teams wind up using a 5th player for say a limited 5 minutes or so a game to make it work better.

Without an addition, Aubrey is probably the best option to be that occasional 5th player, playing almost exclusively at the 3. While her ability to fit in offensively there is highly questionable, I am confident she could at least be a great rebounder and excellent defender at that position. The same could probably said for Ayanna.

But Lou as the main guard sub and Aubrey as an occasional one only works if none of those five get injured. One injury and Aubrey might move to Lou's role and say Ayanna to Aubrey's. We are unfortunately very vulnerable without another playable option, just the way it is.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There is a mid June Daniel Connolly article where Geno pretty much spelled out the need for Nika to improve specifically by developing a "mid range game" to keep the opponent form double teaming the other players on the floor.
There was a follow up article in the CT insider where Nika acknowledge (somewhat reluctantly) the need for offensive improvement and also acknowledge that she understood what Geno was asking for.
Absent that specific improvement as well as the one that has already been mentioned (the need to stay out of foul trouble) I don't see Nika starting.

Starting: Azzi (Lead guard), Lou SG , Caroline SF, Aaliyah Edwards PF Dorka C
2nd Unit: Nika (PG) Azzi SG, Aubrey SF, Ayanna & Ice Brady PF and Ice Brady/Amari C

Reaction Score
If she cannot display the discipline not to get into foul trouble by the middle of the 2nd quarter, I would not.
My rationale.
Roster = 11 athletes total.
Paige out. Down to 10.
Aubrey Griffin-unknown contribution due to circumstances.
Caroline Ducharme-returning from hip surgery. How hard can she go? And for how long?
Nika starting and getting into early foul trouble may force coach to squeeze more out of several players than need to be brought along more slowly.
BTW- wasn’t coach speaking in the not to distant past about “ positionless basketball”.
Surely, certain responsibility can be delegated to other guards on the team.
I believe the success of this team will rise or fall on the success of the front line (bigs).

Reaction Score
She'll start as the pg but I don't her offense and foul trouble will keep her the job. Idk much about the Fairfield player but if she has some pg experience I think she could take the job.

Reaction Score

If healthy, Aubrey Griffin can also be a SF.

In her frosh and soph years, UCONN had Liv who was "challenged" to score vs very good teams, and Edwards was not that much of a scorer as a frosh and in particular vs not much vs very good teams. And the year before, UCONN was even less capable to score at the 4/5 spots; meaning if you put Aubrey at the SF, the PF and Center were not much scorers in tough games. As a result, she played less there.

But for this upcoming year, Dorka is a better scorer than Liv (and a better scorer than Edwards), and we should expect a little more capable scoring from Edwards now that she is a junior. And there are possibilities that Brady and even DeBerry could be some good scoring threats. That would mean Griffin could give UCONN valued backup minutes (Patterson too but you mentioned her) at the SF spot because the other 4 spots have scorers.

As long as UCOINN has other offensive players in the frontcourt, and the backcourt with Azzi and Ducharme (maybe even Lou), UCONN would have enough firepower to be fine with Griffin as a SF.

It’s not “ideal” but the solution is “capable.”

Reaction Score
Lou wasn’t a great rebounder at Fairfield playing in the 4 spot. She’s not built for that. But we’re going to use her in the 2 and occasionally the 3 this year. She’s long and quick. I’ll think she’ll rebound better.

I posted a few weeks ago about how Nika’s most productive quarter is the 3rd, followed by the 1st. That’s when her energy and intensity is most unnerving to opponents. She didn’t play much in the tournament in the 4th, in part because of the offensive cost, but also because that’s when the best teams are locked in to their max intensity.

Reaction Score
All good points. I suspect Lou will be sub for all the guards. That is difficult to do with only one substitute for three positions. It is far from ideal, if Lou came in for Nika for example a little earlier than usual, you need to wait until she is rested enough to return before you sub for Caroline, then you need to wait until Caroline is rested enough to come in and spell Azzi, and when Azzi is rested enough she returns Lou to the bench.

The bottom line is if you want to avoid using the 5th option you wind up subbing for the first player early, and the last starter late. It also takes away most of the game management strategic decisions. It is hard to adjust to what is happening in the game with team needs or matchups because you are pretty tied to a very structured substitution pattern. That is why a four player rotation for three positions is very difficult, and most teams wind up using a 5th player for say a limited 5 minutes or so a game to make it work better.

Without an addition, Aubrey is probably the best option to be that occasional 5th player, playing almost exclusively at the 3. While her ability to fit in offensively there is highly questionable, I am confident she could at least be a great rebounder and excellent defender at that position. The same could probably said for Ayanna.

But Lou as the main guard sub and Aubrey as an occasional one only works if none of those five get injured. One injury and Aubrey might move to Lou's role and say Ayanna to Aubrey's. We are unfortunately very vulnerable without another playable option, just the way it is.
After last years mayhem caused by an unusually large number of injuries, how could UCONN come into this season with a roster of only 11- less than 75% of the number allowed.
Yes, injuries are a part of the game-but here we are before the opening tip- down to 10- before ONE game- with 2 players returning from surgery.
Gamecocks—15 players on roster
Cardinals —15 players on roster
Longhorns—14 players on roster.

These numbers are not a recipe for success for the Huskies this year
(Unless you consider another Big East Trophy satisfactory)
Out of the hundreds of players in the transfer portal, and God knows how many Internationally- we find ourselves in this position?
I hope someone is burning up the phones looking for insurance.
Summary:
Lotta talent but absolutely no margin for error regarding injuries- which undoubtedly will occur.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Azzi can also play pg.
Azzi did a commendable job as the US PG during last year’s U19 world championships. So she most certainly can play the position. The problem is that Azzi may be the best shooting guard in the nation. I think UConn is better with a capable pg (Nika) and an AA shooting guard (Azzi).

Reaction Score
If healthy, Aubrey Griffin can also be a SF.

In her frosh and soph years, UCONN had Liv who was "challenged" to score vs very good teams, and Edwards was not that much of a scorer as a frosh and in particular vs not much vs very good teams. And the year before, UCONN was even less capable to score at the 4/5 spots; meaning if you put Aubrey at the SF, the PF and Center were not much scorers in tough games. As a result, she played less there.

But for this upcoming year, Dorka is a better scorer than Liv (and a better scorer than Edwards), and we should expect a little more capable scoring from Edwards now that she is a junior. And there are possibilities that Brady and even DeBerry could be some good scoring threats. That would mean Griffin could give UCONN valued backup minutes (Patterson too but you mentioned her) at the SF spot because the other 4 spots have scorers.

As long as UCOINN has other offensive players in the frontcourt, and the backcourt with Azzi and Ducharme (maybe even Lou), UCONN would have enough firepower to be fine with Griffin as a SF.

It’s not “ideal” but the solution is “capable.”
I am still very concerned about Caroline and Aubrey’s injuries in regards to the time table in which they will be 100% healthy.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After last years mayhem caused by an unusually large number of injuries, how could UCONN come into this season with a roster of only 11- less than 75% of the number allowed.
This is water under the bridge. Aside from Stanford, I can’t think of another D1 WBB program in the country that carries 15 scholarship players. ND has 9 next season, and the Irish haven’t lost their best player to injury.

Trying to maintain a large roster of talented players, many of whom will see little or no PT is a recipe for team disharmony and transfers. Last season it appeared that UConn could have as many as 16 players. But Makurat & Chaisson left before the season. Mir & Saylor transferred out before the 2nd semester and Aubrey was out for the year.

Kids want to play. Geno doesn’t need warm bodies on the bench in case players are injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom