Another point of view | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Another point of view

Reaction Score
For those of you worried about the quality of play in the Big East, think about what the Big East was like when Uconn was winning its first championships. Mostly, it was absolutely horrible. I’d venture to guess it was worse than it is today. For me, what hurt us the most were bad recruiting years that preceded the good classes that we have today. The entire class that would’ve been seniors is gone. When Uconn has been dominant, it has had the luxury of playing the starters for perhaps three quarters at most and then subbing in the bench. When you have kids on the bench who are ‘almost ready‘ and have some experience, it’s a lot easier to sit someone for a while if they aren’t playing particularly well. I would think next year we should be a lot better, just because of the benefit of the year of experience. If everyone stays, (no early departures, transfers or key injuries) two years from now I would expect us to be back to really winning form.

Reaction Score
there’s a lot to like of this team and I think we get tougher next year. What we are missing is a savvy and crafty post player with a midrange game like Pheesa or Tuck. I think our guard play and defense will be fine but we just don’t have that crafty smart post player that will fight for 14 points and get us critical baskets down low in tough games. I don’t think we get that next year as the class doesn’t have that player so we will need AE to develop more moves and have a better feel around the basket to eliminate fouls and finish better. With Azzi it will certainly help give more opportunities for the bigs. I believe Geno should consider looking at the portal for a crafty big, I think we are missing that for the team.
Amari DeBerry is an athletic 6'5" forward/post with plenty of offensive weapons..............unlikely Geno will be looking for another big body with such a packed bench but with the current transfer situation who knows what talented players may pop up.......

Reaction Score
The Huskies are young and this is an emotional team. It needed a kick in the pants to get past Baylor and it took just about everything to do it. It’s not unusual for a team, any team, to have a letdown after an emotional win like the Baylor game and this UConn team seems more susceptible to a letdown than other Husky squads. We’ve never seen a UConn team this young and inexperienced in big games. I wasn’t at all surprised that they lost last night.

I remember years ago Shea talking about a game where the team had to come back and win. Her quote was something like, “we got punched in the mouth last year and fell apart. This year we got punched and we punched them back”. Unfortunately, it takes experience to learn how to punch back. They will learn.

For the literalists in our group- it was a metaphorical punch.
The ability to punch back comes from training and practice. This team is not trained that way. They are coached to run a very clean and choreographed offense and a disciplined defense with no contact and minimum fouls called against them. This team will always come in second in a street fight. Last night they had no plan B. They continued to play a losing plan and never adjusted. Was it a failure in coaching? Partly. Was it the players not being able to see and adjust to what was happening on the floor? Partly.

I’m less inclined to chalk it up to “ a young team” or “immature” as Geno said in the post game presser. But more inclined to both credit Arizona for a great game plan, especially on defense. And the inability to adjust. This game wasn’t only lost on the floor. It was lost in the coach’s chair.

I remember a sequence in the 4th Quarter with UCONN still close enough to catch up and both of Arizona’s bigs with 4 fouls each. UCONN with the ball and both ONO and AE were hanging out around the 3 point line rather than being underneath to draw a foul or have an uncontested bunny. I Know they probably would have missed the bunny but you can’t abandon that strategy since the guards had been rendered all but useless.

The game has changed since Geno had his string on NC’s. The players are bigger, stronger and more talented. Better teams can bully their way to success now. Geno needs to adjust to that and have his team able move to a different plan when They are getting beaten up. If you are fortunate enough to have someone like Paige on your team, let her take over by doing what AM did last night against them. Give her the damn ball and let her make it happen. Last night, Paige must have ran 100 miles without the ball trying to get open based on the same offensive scheme they use against Butler and Sister Mary’s School for Wayward Girls ( they’re in the BIG EAST right?) . The game has changed. Change with it or perish.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I remember years ago Shea talking about a game where the team had to come back and win. Her quote was something like, “we got punched in the mouth last year and fell apart. This year we got punched and we punched them back”. Unfortunately, it takes experience to learn how to punch back. They will learn.
Yes, 1999 ------> 2000, 2001 ------> 2002

Reaction Score
Amari DeBerry is an athletic 6'5" forward/post with plenty of offensive weapons..............unlikely Geno will be looking for another big body with such a packed bench but with the current transfer situation who knows what talented players may pop up.......
I have not watched enough of her to know how she will fare against tough defenses or strong bigs. What I’ve heard here is she likes to face up more than have her back to the basket and she’s more like. Liv. What I was referring to is someone that has savvy moves around the basket, like the big from Iowa.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
It was so strange to watch Liv miss so many shots underneath. It felt like she was expecting her shots to be blocked when she had the height advantage. I don't think she will ever be a physical player like AE,
AE missed many also.

Reaction Score
I think Baylor could make a claim to be the best team in the tourney - certainly the most physical. Uconn did not expect Arizona to play as physical as Baylor, and was disoriented and maybe flat and tired. Such is the vagaries of the tournament. UConn comes back with the best player in the nation - with a chip on her shoulder. Have to like the future. One thing, too, the play is so physical in the Final Four that it takes getting used to - the refs don’t get it right. A lesson learned.

Reaction Score
I think some here are missing the fact that UCONN had 11 less free throws, you're not gonna win many games against tournament final 4 teams with that big a difference! Why that big a difference, why did the refs call 14 more fouls in this game then the slugfest against Baylor,,,,,I'll leave that up to everyone's opinion!

Reaction Score
The Huskies are young and this is an emotional team. It needed a kick in the pants to get past Baylor and it took just about everything to do it. It’s not unusual for a team, any team, to have a letdown after an emotional win like the Baylor game and this UConn team seems more susceptible to a letdown than other Husky squads. We’ve never seen a UConn team this young and inexperienced in big games. I wasn’t at all surprised that they lost last night.

As usual, you summed it perfectly. At the start of the season, we would have given anything for this young team to go far in the tournament. They had to overcome pandemic obstacles, inexperience, lack of depth and no senior leadership. The biggest reaxson that this stings is because UCONN was heavily favored to win last night. But just getting to that point was an admirable feat!

Reaction Score
I waited a day to post about the game because it took me a while to get over it. I have justified the loss this way, "it's a covid year, it doesn't really count". Maybe if I keep saying that I might sleep tonight.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The ability to punch back comes from training and practice. This team is not trained that way. They are coached to run a very clean and choreographed offense and a disciplined defense with no contact and minimum fouls called against them. This team will always come in second in a street fight. Last night they had no plan B. They continued to play a losing plan and never adjusted. Was it a failure in coaching? Partly. Was it the players not being able to see and adjust to what was happening on the floor? Partly.

I’m less inclined to chalk it up to “ a young team” or “immature” as Geno said in the post game presser. But more inclined to both credit Arizona for a great game plan, especially on defense. And the inability to adjust. This game wasn’t only lost on the floor. It was lost in the coach’s chair.

I remember a sequence in the 4th Quarter with UCONN still close enough to catch up and both of Arizona’s bigs with 4 fouls each. UCONN with the ball and both ONO and AE were hanging out around the 3 point line rather than being underneath to draw a foul or have an uncontested bunny. I Know they probably would have missed the bunny but you can’t abandon that strategy since the guards had been rendered all but useless.

The game has changed since Geno had his string on NC’s. The players are bigger, stronger and more talented. Better teams can bully their way to success now. Geno needs to adjust to that and have his team able move to a different plan when They are getting beaten up. If you are fortunate enough to have someone like Paige on your team, let her take over by doing what AM did last night against them. Give her the damn ball and let her make it happen. Last night, Paige must have ran 100 miles without the ball trying to get open based on the same offensive scheme they use against Butler and Sister Mary’s School for Wayward Girls ( they’re in the BIG EAST right?) . The game has changed. Change with it or perish.
I share many of the same thoughts. I was thinking of the male practice players. I always wonder how they are coached, what they are told to do, and not do. I was thinking to best way to practice bunnies is for the male practice players to provide as much resistance as necessary for game like conditions.

Also, I was never a big fan of AE or ONO setting up at the top of the key.

Reaction Score
I have not watched enough of her to know how she will fare against tough defenses or strong bigs. What I’ve heard here is she likes to face up more than have her back to the basket and she’s more like. Liv. What I was referring to is someone that has savvy moves around the basket, like the big from Iowa.
I get your point..........time will tell

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, we don’t get enough experience in competitive games against teams with different styles of play in our weak conference. Missing what probably would have been competitive games in the regular season against Louisville and Baylor to covid didn’t help.
This team certainly gave us a lot of enjoyment this season. As Nan said they will learn and we can look forward to an exciting future for our favorite team.
I thought UConn was the best team in the tournament and would win the whole thing but sometimes the ball just not fall for you. UConn missed shots they normally make and Arizona was on, the result was UConn got anxious and shots got even harder. I dare say beating Baylor was harder than beating Arizona. Truth is the ball just did not go UConn’s way.

Reaction Score
I think the trip to the zoo was ill-advised...

Reaction Score
Would you prefer they AAC? Comparatively the Big East is a heck of a lot better. Also I would hope they schedule some strong non-conference games. This season was still odd due to COVID.
Best option for the university athletic department as a whole is the Big East is temporary holding place until we move to a real conference.

Reaction Score
It was so strange to watch Liv miss so many shots underneath. It felt like she was expecting her shots to be blocked when she had the height advantage. I don't think she will ever be a physical player like AE,
So strange? She’s been missing those shots all year!

Reaction Score
Best option for the university athletic department as a whole is the Big East is temporary holding place until we move to a real conference.
We're not moving to a real conference, whatever that is. This is going to be our home. Sure I'd rather be in the ACC or B1G, but that's not happening in our lifetimes.

Reaction Score
Ari MacDonald was playing with a chip on her shoulder for being snubbed for accolades probably due her to her performance in this year's tournament. I think she is a fifth-year senior. A tremendously quick defense player. She is the only player to keep up with Paige around the picks set for her this year. She fronted Paige when they tried to Post her up. She was the MVP in all ways. It's true we were out muscled and the Arizona intensity level we could not match. Let's get them next year, girls!!!!
I saw Paige try to post McDonald up once, got trapped in the lane and lost the ball. I think they should have pushed more attempts at exploiting that size advantage, and to find something repeatable that would make Arizona change their approach to stop it.

Reaction Score

There are a few hundred teams who wish they had a 28-2 season.

Reaction Score
On a positive note for the sport. The number 1 or 2 team in the country was totally outplayed by a #16 team. Good for the sport but also a message to Geno. It’s not the best players that win. It’s what you coach them to do when they run up against a team that shuts you down, or beats you up.

Reaction Score
The conference has little to do with it. This season we still beat Baylor, South Carolina, Tennessee on the road, and Iowa. Sure it would have been nice to play Louisville as well, but I'm not sure what else people are looking for. Geno tries to schedule the top teams in different conferences. South Carolina plays in the vaunted SEC and still couldn't find a way to get past the semi-final. No ACC teams made it to the final four. No B1G teams made it to the final four. No Big 12 teams made it to the final four.
Well, the PAC-12 is playing for NC, so, yes, strength of conference is extremely important. Stanford and Arizona learned not to look past anyone.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well, the PAC-12 is playing for NC, so, yes, strength of conference is extremely important. Stanford and Arizona learned not to look past anyone.
Really? How many Pac-12 teams reached the Final Four in 2017-2019? How many reached the national championship game during that time? Did the Pac-12 conference go from horrible to outstanding in the short period of time between then and now? Why didn't it help UCLA (fresh off a dominant win over none other than Arizona) get past Texas?

I don't understand why people love reaching for such irrational tribalist thinking. Stanford is a great team. Arizona is a great team (though they waited until March to really show it). It's two separate and distinct great teams that played well enough to win five games in a row. Being in the same conference as Washington and Cal and Utah had nothing to do with it, I assure you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just want to take this opportunity, as I always do, to say thank you to our players
and coaching staff for all the hard work they have done under difficult conditions to
provide us with a wonderfully entertaining season

At the beginning of the year I thought it would be a terrific season if this team could make
it to the final four, and I still think so. Thank you girls, and we look forward to seeing you
back on the court next season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom