Another Canadian Article re Kia's Commitment | The Boneyard

Another Canadian Article re Kia's Commitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As for Nurse, some of her friends were a little concerned when they heard where she was going. She told them UConn. They heard Yukon.

"They still thought the territory up north," she laughs. "There was a lot of explaining to do."

I thought that was funny. I also did not know she wanted to play for UCONN since she was in 7th grade - that it was her dream school. Of course things change over time and I'm sure it wasn't a slam dunk, but it appears she's competitive and wants to earn PT, and also she wants to play for a winner. Check and check.

I also like that Geno has talked about not only how good these kids are at basketball, but how well they get along with each other and the current team. Also how much they love basketball and how hard they work at it. Of course, as Banks said, their hard and UCONN's hard are most likely not the same!

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It's fun to think that back on this day, an anonymous young 7th grader up in Canada was probably jumping up and down in her living room.....right along with these three !!!

226329-standard.jpg

And so the dream began.............

:)

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Regarding the comment at the end of the article that when Kia told her friends that she was going to UConn, they thought she meant "Yukon" ...

I recall from several years ago that a highly prized recruiting target from the Sunbelt (I remember who, but she shall remain nameless here) was approached by Geno, and said she wasn't interested because she couldn't stand the cold climate, and added, "You have dog races up there every winter, don't you?", or something to that effect.

Obviously her command of geography was not quite at the level of her basketball skills. She did not attend either UConn or Yukon.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Great article. We've got a really good one in Kia. Next years class is a terrific class of talent and kids who love the game. Over the past few years it appears to me that Geno has focused on kids attitudes, and ability to get along with his current roster of players. It makes a huge difference when you have kids who are willing to work for it rather then wanting it handed to them and one bad apple could spoil it all. That's why its more about whats inside their hearts, love of the game.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Love this line in the piece, the guy (gal?) has a sense of humor:

"t wasn't an easy decision. The 17-year-old St. Thomas More student had been giving her mailman hernias lugging around the scholarship opportunities pouring in to the family's mailbox."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's fun to think that back on this day, an anonymous young 7th grader up in Canada was probably jumping up and down in her living room right along with these three !!!

226329-standard.jpg

So was an anonymous septegenarian in Northern Virginia. :)

That's one of my favorite pics.

Reaction Score
I want to know which 2 teams out of the top 25 did not offer her a scholarship?

Love this line in the piece, the guy (gal?) has a sense of humor:

"t wasn't an easy decision. The 17-year-old St. Thomas More student had been giving her mailman hernias lugging around the scholarship opportunities pouring in to the family's mailbox."

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It's fun to think that back on this day, an anonymous young 7th grader up in Canada was probably jumping up and down in her living room right along with these three !!!

Boy, they sure hsd fun then
226329-standard.jpg

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

226329-standard.jpg

Looks like they heard Nurse is committing.

Reaction Score
This is a great reminder that we've reached the point where Geno is recruiting kids that were too young to have watched Taurasi play at UConn. The reference point for recruits is now firmly the Maya Moore era.
It's fun to think that back on this day, an anonymous young 7th grader up in Canada was probably jumping up and down in her living room.....right along with these three !!!

226329-standard.jpg

T

TroyHouse66

"...head coach Lisa Thomaidis... says Nurse faced many of the world's top guards ...."

Well, Kia...
Those days are now OVER for you...
You'll be playing in the same back court with many of them...
Enjoy... eh?

Reaction Score
ARG... so why did she take so long to put us out of our misery... dang Girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom