Another bubble tournament? | The Boneyard

Another bubble tournament?

Reaction Score
Seeing so many games get cancelled, esp in the men side today Vanderbilt declared champion for the men in a forfeit due to Covid by Stanford, are we heading to another bubble tournament? Would you want to see it? I just would HATE to see a team lose on a sweet 16 or elite 8 because players got infected with Covid and with regionals being at different parts of the country I feel that might happen.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The only potential good news about the recent surge is that some forecast models indicate it will peak by the end of January. If so, depending on how quickly the surge declines, maybe we can get back to some level of comfort with fans present by the time the Big Dance roles around, towards the end of March.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The only potential good news about the recent surge is that some forecast models indicate it will peak by the end of January. If so, depending on how quickly the surge declines, maybe we can get back to some level of comfort with fans present by the time the Big Dance roles around, towards the end of March.
I don't think you proofread this post. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
No telling how co-vid plays out for this latest variant's expected surge. Players testing positive and missing games, cancelled games, bubbleball tournaments all in the mix. I've seen predictions that the surge will mostly occur between January and March - bad timing for bball fans. I hate the thought that winter surges may well be the norm in coming years, with the disruption of sports the least of our worries.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The only potential good news about the recent surge is that some forecast models indicate it will peak by the end of January. If so, depending on how quickly the surge declines, maybe we can get back to some level of comfort with fans present by the time the Big Dance roles around towards the end of March
I don't think you proofread this post. :rolleyes:
Proofreading is a “roll” I leave to the rest of the BY. ;)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Who knows! This virus does not follow predictable paths. The good news is people are generally taking it seriously and generally making informed decisions - I will not be surprised to see arenas being closed, nor would I be surprised to see some adjustments to schedules (no further OOC games for example.) I would be surprised by a complete pause in the season or by an extension in the season (as that screws with outside commitments.)

While young people and especially vaccinated young people seem to do really well if they catch the virus, all it takes is one student athlete to get seriously ill or worse to change everyone's perspective.
Actually, except for the Big 12, where all the teams have 1 more OOC game, the OOC is largely over for the Power 5. UConn has 3 games, their opponents of course, and 3 SEC teams have OOC games probably this week. That is all.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With the acceleration of cancellations around the country, now including UConn’s game with Marquette on the 29th, just attempting to complete a full conference schedule is going to become an enormously difficult challenge over the next few months.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Despite the awful reasons for last year's "Bubble Tournament"in San Antonio, I thought it made more sense to do it that way.
Of course, I don't normally have tickets to see the regional games, so it's easy for me to talk.
However, if the logistical demands and physical arrangements can be met in a reasonable manner, I think it would be better for the people who matter most...no, not the NCAA Big Wigs, I'm talking about the players.
Minneapolis should be able to host the whole shebang if they have enough advance notice. If they wait until March 1st to tell them....no, not such a good idea.

Reaction Score
I’m beginning to get a bad ‘vibe’ regarding the quasi normalized conducting of the winter sports season, any sport, amateur or pro.
At this juncture, only 67% of US citizens have been fully immunized.
That, I believe, is a recipe for disaster for large gatherings.
Unless athletes are fully quarantined and play in empty arenas?
If that is the atmosphere players must exist in and perform under, why even bother?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe the Huskies can continue to play one game every 2 weeks like they've been playing. God forbid there should be any criticisms on this blog, but this is the poorest constructed schedule in the history of CBB. I can't imagine how bad it is for the players. At least one of the extended breaks was a vacation on the beach. Couldn't make this stuff up.
Not sure how you’re calculating games played? UConn played 9 games in 35 days with breaks for Thanksgiving, finals and Christmas, pretty much the same as they have been doing every year. The concern now will be how cancellations and postponements affect the schedule going forward.

Reaction Score
btw I'm totally ok with a bubble tournament, it's the safest way + kids avoid distractions and just focus on basketball. I just would pick a location that requires mask mandates. Indiana and Texas have no requirements and that makes getting Covid easier for people.

Reaction Score
Seeing so many games get cancelled, esp in the men side today Vanderbilt declared champion for the men in a forfeit due to Covid by Stanford, are we heading to another bubble tournament? Would you want to see it? I just would HATE to see a team lose on a sweet 16 or elite 8 because players got infected with Covid and with regionals being at different parts of the country I feel that might happen.
By the time the NCAA tournament is scheduled, probably every player, coach, referee and fan will have contracted omicron and recovered. Of course, the teams will only have played about 9 games by then, so it will be difficult to do the draw. South Carolina will still be number one. That's all I know.

Reaction Score
"yes" Everyone wants to see who is " best" this year, not by
polling, but on the court! I trust UCONN WBB will be
a much different team come Late February, March, and
early April. I surely hope so..... let's get healthy... and stay
safe!! happy new year! and let the games continue! Z

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Right now, most of the conferences say 7 scholarship players and 1 coach is acceptable to play a game. I don't know how the schools feel about that, but I'm sure a lot, especially the best basketball schools, do not like it. I'm thinking that if two of your best players are sick, and they do fit the criteria that says they can play, will they? Will they lie about the number so they don't have to play shorthanded, or will they just refuse to play?

I don't think the NCAA can really monitor the situation, so it will be up to the schools to make that decision regardless of how many players they have available.

Reaction Score
If there's a tournament...if will be abbreviated and over in less than a week. The cancellations are not going to stop any time soon. I would be surprised if there is any tournament.

Reaction Score
Basketball, and sports in general might have to take a long pause, maybe for the season. Something "just ain't right" about this entire virus story.

Reaction Score
My guess is they'll put the season on hold until Feb 1. Covid should have peaked by then. It makes little sense to "pray" that a team has 7 or 8 players that can play on a given day. Its just going to get worse over the next few weeks.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Update on yesterday’s D1 WBB games. There were 44 games scheduled. 19 were played. 25 were canceled/postponed/forfeited, including UConn’s game with Marquette.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom