Another 8th grade verbal | The Boneyard

Another 8th grade verbal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess all those Texas critics were right. UT's "pro-lesbian attitude", not interviewing any male candidates, and hiring an unmarried female coach has doomed their recruiting with the conservative Texas population.

Reaction Score
I guess all those Texas critics were right. UT's "pro-lesbian attitude", not interviewing any male candidates, and hiring an unmarried female coach has doomed their recruiting with the conservative Texas population.
You have to live in Texas to understand the fervor for Univ. of Texas. Austin is very liberal compared to the rural areas of the state or even Dallas for that matter. Karen Astin has tons of statewide connections which is why she was hired. She's going to be successful here, only time will tell if she can bring Texas back to the glory days.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Anyone know how 8th grade verbals have panned out? The only ones I can think of are:
Te'a Cooper-decommitted early on
Sa'de Wiley-Gatewood-quit the team midseason and transferred (one of the most bizarre transfers women's basketball has seen)
Lauren Avant-transferred after her freshman season at Tennessee

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Like any 8th grader knows where she wants to go to college. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Exactly. Can you see Geno/CD doing this? The sad part is if she turns out to be a dud UT will throw her under the bus in a heartbeat.
Agree! I don't blame the kid for getting excited and wanting to go to the school of their dream but where are the adults here?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Agree! I don't blame the kid for getting excited and wanting to go to the school of their dream but where are the adults here?
MIA

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It is sad that a school will accept a verbal from a kid that young
Schools don't "accept" verbals. Anyone can make a verbal - you, me, my dog Missy.... But, having said that, Texas must have offered her a scholarship. That's kinda nuts. Geno used to wait until a girl was into her junior year before offering a scholly. He said that some kids plateau early and if you get a high school freshman commit, she may not get any better than she is at 14. He did grudgingly change his tactics after missing out on some recruits but his point is valid.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Schools don't "accept" verbals. Anyone can make a verbal - you, me, my dog Missy.... But, having said that, Texas must have offered her a scholarship. That's kinda nuts. Geno used to wait until a girl was into her junior year before offering a scholly. He said that some kids plateau early and if you get a high school freshman commit, she may not get any better than she is at 14. He did grudgingly change his tactics after missing out on some recruits but his point is valid.
Exactly - and the school can't technically comment on any recruit, any age, that 'verbals' so they can't even say 'NO'. Nor have they likely done more than send out a letter saying 'we are watching you and we hope you consider us when making your college choice.'

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If an 8th grader loves a university enough to verbsl, go for it. I agree that some may find it difficult to understand how vast the UT hold is on the population of Texas. Many of these girls dream of getting to Austim for the state tourney, which is held at UT.

Aston, if she can coach well, is going to bring Texas back to prominence.

Reaction Score
If an 8th grader loves a university enough to verbsl, go for it. I agree that some may find it difficult to understand how vast the UT hold is on the population of Texas. Many of these girls dream of getting to Austim for the state tourney, which is held at UT.

Aston, if she can coach well, is going to bring Texas back to prominence.
I don't understand with all the best FB talent in Texas at their disposal why they have been so mediocre for at least the last 4 or 5 yrs that I've been watching them? Then they can cherry pick much of the best of the rest nationally due to the UT brand! What has U Texas been dominant in recently ? I guess talent even in a large proud nation sized state like Texas ain't everything! I mean in FB Ala,LSU even recently aTm has outshined the 800b lb gorilla lately...whats wrong?

JS

Reaction Score
Anyone can make a verbal - you, me, my dog Missy....
Even my gerbil can verbal.

And he likes his tea herbal.

images.jpg

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Perhaps UTexas is taking them young in hopes of keeping Texas talent in state and hopefully preventing out of state poaching by those pesky northerners

Reaction Score
In Tennessee's case I believe the commitments came as a mutual interest from being part of camps (SWG) or being in state (Avant). Both were not offered scholarships until later on but because they continue to improve and were standout talents their commitments held up. Avant would have been there four years had it not been for injuries that derailed her D1 playing career (injuries that happened in high school, and they were numerous freak injuries). She transferred to a D3 school where she could still play basketball but not have the physical demand required by a D1 program. SWG was a whole other basket of worms. Worms that neither Pat nor Hatchell (when approached with the idea of SWG transferring there) wanted to deal with.

I'm glad T'ea changed her mind. ;)

On that note, if I were a parent I would advise my child to take their visits. It's a reward so few get and I would suggest it if nothing else for the fact that it would be courteous to give the top 5 schools your attention for a weekend after spending much time and resources for showing interest.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The only trouble w/ 8th graders is that the are verbal - just sayin
That isn't trouble. That's a blessing because an eighth grader has no business making a commitment beyond their first high school dance.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Even my gerbil can verbal.

And he likes his tea herbal.

images.jpg
Oh yeah… my nonverbal gerbil Ervil burbles verbals while munching vernal herbals!

Rhymin' Boo

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Not really sure why this bothers so many folks. I highly doubt a coach would accept a verbal commitment from such a young recruit unless the recruit's parent(s) gave their blessing and understood what they were committing to.

Can things change between now and the early signing period beginning November 2017? Of course. But, the relationship from this point until that date is between coach and recruit and family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom