Angel Reese in the portal | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Angel Reese in the portal

Reaction Score
Freese doesn't come off as someone I would enjoy playing for but she somehow manages to get top recruits, has success with them, only to see them leave for greener pastures. The list above shows that some of those who stick it out have successful professional careers. I get sometimes a change of scenery needs to happen but how could so many players have such a disconnect between what they experience in recruiting verses actually playing for the team? It truly amazes me.

Reese claims she wants to play on the perimeter. So did Austin, but Shakira wound up playing down low for Ole Miss and was very successful. I will be curious where she winds up, but even more curious if Maryland continues to draw highly touted players.
Very good post.

As far as Shakira Austin, the Mystics just made a big trade with Atlanta (swapping picks) and now the Mystic have the 3rd pick and maybe Austin. I wonder what type of reception she'll get at the ESA.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Eyes a awesomely not playing her sixth year. Henderson no word yet. There could be one transfer of a player who had limited playing time but I won’t name her.

Cardosa and/or Amihere? I guess it could happen but I think both want a second just like Saxon. jury is still out though.
Henderson has notified the W she will be eligible for the draft. In fact she’ll be there in person. Cardosa is somewhat boxed in since she already used her one free transfer/immediate eligibility option.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The unstated difference being, of course, that most students pay for their own tuition, albeit discounted. Scholarship athletes do not. Should schools who are investing significantly in their scholarship athletes have some degree of stability/certainty? Non-athletes to transfer bears the cost of it. If they lose credits, as can often be the case particularly for upper classmen transfers, they are going to pay for making them up. That economic constraint does not apply to scholarship athletes. So analogizing the scholarship in nonscholarship athlete isn’t really a perfect comparison.

Now, that being said, I’ve long thought that once a student graduates they have fulfilled their commitment to the University and should be able to go to any institution they’d like for graduate work. That, plus the one time transfer rule that is already in place, would allow student athletes the opportunity to move twice during their athletic career without having to sit out a year. That seems reasonable to me
Your reply suggest that the student athlete provides no benefit to the school. Just as schools are investing in the student, the student athlete is investing in the school. Schools are not obligated to the student athlete beyond the current year. The student athlete must spend hours in practice sessions, games and often study session that other students are not required to attend. And student athlete must adhere to team rules that other students are not subjected to.

We also see many post about coaches recruiting over an athlete (I personally feel that a coaches obligation is to field the best team possible and have no problem with the idea of recruiting over a player) so why shouldn’t the athlete also better their future by transferring if they desire. And with the current concern for mental health I think there is even more reason to allow for more freedom in the athletes favor.

When free agency entered professional sports many thought it was the death knelt for many pro sports, but they have flourished. It may take a couple or few yeats but I think in the long run the new transfer rules and the portal will prove beneficial to collegiate athletics.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Your reply suggest that the student athlete provides no benefit to the school.
No, it does not. Nor is that a necessary precondition for the point I made in my post to be valid. Nice attempt at a strawman argument though.

GG

Reaction Score
Henderson has notified the W she will be eligible for the draft. In fact she’ll be there in person. Cardosa is somewhat boxed in since she already used her one free transfer/immediate eligibility option.
I never understood why Cardoso chose to attend South Carolina with the depth they have in the post.

Reaction Score
Define "FREE". My definition is receiving something for nothing in return.
Well then, you must be right.. Why is there always someone trying to start something.......:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Eyes a awesomely not playing her sixth year. Henderson no word yet. There could be one transfer of a player who had limited playing time but I won’t name her.

Cardosa and/or Amihere? I guess it could happen but I think both want a second just like Saxon. jury is still out though.
Henderson is gone. She already turned her name in.

GG

Reaction Score
Had to be Dawn & Co.’s reputation for developing elite post players. She went to the one program that didn’t need her at all.
I guess. The entire thing is so strange. I am not certain exactly how many minute she got this year but I guarantee she would have played a lot more at another program. I do not even know her list of finalists, but many schools needed a big last year (including us).

Reaction Score
Cardosa seems happy to me. Then again, she is always smiling so who really knows. Cardosa will get more playing time next year. I think she enjoys her role. Cardosa will get drafted regardless if she starts or come off the bench.

Reaction Score
Cardosa seems happy to me. Then again, she is always smiling so who really knows. Cardosa will get more playing time next year. I think she enjoys her role. Cardosa will get drafted regardless if she starts or come off the bench.
Well, she has a year of post-Boston eligibility so she gets to be the big dog for at least a year

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Very good post.

As far as Shakira Austin, the Mystics just made a big trade with Atlanta (swapping picks) and now the Mystic have the 3rd pick and maybe Austin. I wonder what type of reception she'll get at the ESA.
Is that the arena?

Reaction Score
Well then, you must be right.. Why is there always someone trying to start something.......:rolleyes:
It's not about being right. It's about being fair. Your comment implied a one-sided relationship. But by all means...if free means something different, then I'm all ears.

Reaction Score
Liv, Evina and Christyn have also declared.

None where invited to the actual draft. I’d like to assume Christyn would at least get invited with the best chance to go in the first round out of all 3 smh weird.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I never understood why Cardoso chose to attend South Carolina with the depth they have in the post.
I guess. The entire thing is so strange. I am not certain exactly how many minute she got this year but I guarantee she would have played a lot more at another program. I do not even know her list of finalists, but many schools needed a big last year (including us).
:eek: So Cardoso chose to go to SC and play fewer minutes which resulted in a championship and you don't understand that decision?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I hope so. SC would be unstoppable next year. Not that they won't be anyway. These two would make it ridiculous though.
It's funny how it works. The rich get richer. I.e., Cardoso goes to South Carolina, like they need another post player. They already had the best 5 in the country. She was selected as a first team All-American.

Dawn and South Carolina has become a very attractive destination for player entering the portal. Especially now that they are the reigning national champions, and figure to be the odds on favorite to repeat.

Don’t be surprised if Dawn is able to land “several” elite level players from the portal this spring.

GG

Reaction Score
:eek: So Cardoso chose to go to SC and play fewer minutes which resulted in a championship and you don't understand that decision?
Obviously when she made that choice she did not know she was going to win a national championship. I was basing my comments solely on someone looking to develop their game and grow as a player. Although you do not have to play a ton of minutes to do that, it certainly helps.

Reaction Score
I think even suggesting that someone pass a "good citizenship" test is out of bounds here. I haven't heard anything this young lady has done to warrant such an unusual, if not unheard of, level of scrutiny.
I saw nothing in that post that referred to a “citizenship test”. This is not unusual scrutiny, Geno has made no secret of his requirement that UConn recruits are held to a high standard in more than playing ability. He has talked over and over about the importance of recruiting kids with good attitudes, unselfish behavior on court, kids who want to be part of a team, and who are not self-promoters. In other words, good citizens. If you are offended by that, I’m surprised you are a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
It's funny how it works. The rich get richer. I.e., Cardoso goes to South Carolina, like they need another post player. They already had the best 5 in the country. She was selected as a first team All-American.

Dawn and South Carolina has become a very attractive destination for player entering the portal. Especially now that they are the reigning national champions, and figure to be the odds on favorite to repeat.

Don’t be surprised if Dawn is able to land “several” elite level players from the portal this spring.
Where do they all fit?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Obviously when she made that choice she did not know she was going to win a national championship. I was basing my comments solely on someone looking to develop their game and grow as a player. Although you do not have to play a ton of minutes to do that, it certainly helps.
I'm not so sure it was "obvious" that she did not know SC was going to win a championship because SC went wire to wire as the favorites in the poles ( pre- season and regular) and did win. Part of that was SC having the number 1 recruiting class. So you don't think she can develop her game going up against Boston everyday in practice under the tutelage of the Olympic coach?

GG

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure it was "obvious" that she did not know SC was going to win a championship because SC went wire to wire as the favorites in the poles ( pre- season and regular) and did win. Part of that was SC having the number 1 recruiting class. So you don't think she can develop her game going up against Boston everyday in practice under the tutelage of the Olympic coach?
Did not say she could not develop her game in practice. Questioning her decision bc of PT and the number of bigs. And being number one in the polls does not guarantee anything.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom