Andy Landers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andy Landers

Reaction Score
I like Andy Landers. He knows his stuff. He's a Southerner and just speaks slowly. We need a few more New Yawkers who talk a mile a minute.

Yeah, but when he started he wasn't speaking as slowly and hesitantly. I think someone who is not looking out for his interests advised him that he needed to be less intense and emotional. As a result, we have flattened affdct and someone who looks like he too too many downers. He was much,m much better earlier in the season.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I think some of the tension is due to the disagreement they were having on Sunday where Lobo was adamant that the refs made the wrong call on the charge against NC State player, while Andy was disagreeing and stating that Joyner Holmes of Texas was set and had position. After that is when I noticed each not really agreeing with the other about anything.

Reaction Score
I like Andy Landers. The chemistry is Rebecca and Maria kidding with him.
I like him too. He's very southern, reminds me of my grandfather, which might be the reason for it lol. And I also agree about the chemistry thing, it's their latest "thing" in my opinion, to drum up interest and some sort of drama for views and discussion points or something (also, following Lobo, Taylor and others on Twitter, it seems she does like him a lot).

Reaction Score
I like Andy Landers. He knows his stuff. He's a Southerner and just speaks slowly. We need a few more New Yawkers who talk a mile a minute.
I had the reverse issue teaching in Little Rock---I was constantly, and nicely asked, sir (they always used Sir or Mam) to please slow down they could not understand me---eventually I learned--and appreciated their concerns. Great, intelligent kids---I found out after I gave up my East Coast bias.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
IMHO, UConn can beat ANY TEAM in the remaining 15. They are not concerned (at this time) with any of the remaining teams except UCLA. Who ever wins the NC, they will have to go through Baylor and or UConn. There's no way around that THIS year. There's no "back door", or side door entrance to winning the championship this year. You've got to go through the front door!!! Baylor/UConn will be there waiting for you in the lobby. :D
Preach brother C, preach!

Reaction Score
My question is why did ESPN break up the team of Negandi - Lobo - Lawson. There was no better studio analysis team for basketball than those 3. Just makes no sense.

I liked Negandhi. I think the problem is that while we look at the NCAA women's tourney as a big deal, career-wise there are more important gigs at ESPN and I think the hosts have been grabbing them as they can. There's probably a little more impetus these days to get something like Kevin's daily show in light of all the planned staff reductions that are coming to ESPN. Anyway, if not Kevin or Rece Davis (covering the men's tournament), Maria is doing fine, and I prefer Rebecca in the studio though I do like her coursed as well.

Kara is the interesting one - she worked the both games in Louisville with Dave and Doris [*], and is scheduled to be with them in Bridgeport and Dallas as a co-analyst? Holly will be at both sites on the sideline so they're going with four. I don't really have a good guess as to what change this means - I don't think Doris [*] or Dave are going anywhere in the future (though Dave does have the Sox thing as well), so maybe pairing all three together may be the way ESPN goes in the future.

Anyway, I'm okay with Andy. I married into Southern relatives so I've gotten used to it.

Besides, you always have to be careful what you wish for; they could always try to bring back Nell Fortner. Or if things don't get better at Vandy, Carolyn Peck may be available in time for next year's tourney. Just saying....

[*] Mandatory pause for our Hudson Valley posters.

Reaction Score
Or if things don't get better at Vandy, Carolyn Peck may be available in time for next year's tourney. Just saying....
:D Be careful what you wish for indeed.

Reaction Score
I liked Negandhi, too. The chemistry he had with Lobo and Lawson in the studio last year was superb.

I'm warming up to Landers now, although it took a while. He's seems to have toned it down a bit, and his chemistry with Lobo has improved from earlier weeks, when at times it came across as though they were feuding. Obviously he's been taking feedback into account.

As for Dave, he's lucky that the NCAA moved the final four back to the Friday and Sunday pairing, or he might have been out of a gig. Red Sox opening day is the Monday. Last year, bad weather put his back and forth travel plans at risk, and many here will recall that he had to pass his final four microphone to Beth.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Yes, and it could be even worse. Three words: Ann Meyers Drysdale. :eek:
Thank you; perspective is healthy. Meyers was the mainstay for god knows how many years, and she was truly dreadful. All these others that people complain about today look like superstars next to her.

Reaction Score
Negandi's humor and Kara's insights were excellent chemistry, sometimes overshadowing Lobo, IMHO. Did Kevin's ambitions demand a different setting? I agree with the majority that Kara brings concise reporting to any team of experts and her presence on a panel might scare another, if insecure, analyst. I can't think of any reason for not including Kara as a tournament regular. Certainly, Rebecca appears to be increasingly comfortable behind the microphone, so why Landers became the go-to guy remains a mystery.

Reaction Score
I keep expecting black rivulets to run down his forehead and temples from the coal-black dye job, like the Two And A Half Men episode when Jon Cryer's character gets cheap hair dye (Cap'n Terry's Spray-On Hair) from China.

He also NEVER SAYS ANYTHING WORTH HEARING! And he says NOTHING in such a slow, muddling, groping-for-words fashion that Rebecca and Maria must be grinding their teeth.

Where is Kara Lawson?!?!?!

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I re-watched the Texas/NC State game I had recorded. During the post-game in studio piece, Lobo and Landers were discussing the charging call against the NC State player. Lobo said it was the wrong call. Landers transitioned to talking about what a great coaching job Wes Moore had done. Lobo then says that Landers always ends up talking about the coaches. Landers then told Rebecca that she was the biggest whiner; her facial expression indicated that she did not appreciate that comment. Perhaps that set the tone for the friction.

Reaction Score
Just to throw my hat in the ring, I'll go the opposite route from so many BYers, I like Andy Landers commentary!
Yes he has the southern drawl, and yes he's plodding at times but he's a much better commentator than he was a head coach at GA!
Same with Gail Goestenkor!
He knows his WCBB and can set the table, is he Rebecca Lobo or Kara Lawson, Hell no, but he beats some of the others they've had through the years!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My question is why did ESPN break up the team of Negandi - Lobo - Lawson. There was no better studio analysis team for basketball than those 3. Just makes no sense.

Perhaps Neghandi is on another assignment, or maybe he preferred not to be assigned that duty this year. Perhaps the producers wanted to give Maria Taylor a shot at sitting in the host's chair this year. Last week Lawson was the "third wheel" with the TV broadcast team of Doris Burke and Dave O'Brien who were assigned to other NCAA women's tournament games. Who knows why the ESPN program producers do what they do?

This looks like an experiment of some kind to me. We'll see next year where it leads to. I do agree with your observation though about the Negandi, Lobo & Lawson trio. They were good, and worked well together. But as we all know, all good things must come to an end. :(

Reaction Score
Perhaps Neghandi is on another assignment, or maybe he preferred not to be assigned that duty this year. Perhaps the producers wanted to give Maria Taylor a shot at sitting in the host's chair this year. Last week Lawson was the "third wheel" with the TV broadcast team of Doris Burke and Dave O'Brien who were assigned to other NCAA women's tournament games. Who knows why the ESPN program producers do what they do?

This looks like an experiment of some kind to me. We'll see next year where it leads to. I do agree with your observation though about the Negandi, Lobo & Lawson trio. They were good, and worked well together. But as we all know, all good things must come to an end. :(

I think he is diong the Special Olympics things. I saw him on it Monday as I was waiting for the Uconn game to start.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think he is doing the Special Olympics things. I saw him on it Monday as I was waiting for the UConn game to start.

Thanks Geew1992. huskeynut, there's your answer. :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I like him too. He's very southern, reminds me of my grandfather, which might be the reason for it lol. And I also agree about the chemistry thing, it's their latest "thing" in my opinion, to drum up interest and some sort of drama for views and discussion points or something (also, following Lobo, Taylor and others on Twitter, it seems she does like him a lot).
He brings NO ENERGY TO THE SET! His discussions are rather pedestrian and not rooted into the evolution of where the game is headed. Point out something unique that is happening some of us may have missed, after all he WAS a coach so what he sees should be more subtle than what we see.

Then again, that could be the reason he is no longer coaching and left Georgia in such disrepair. Grandpa...nice guy, now go retire and take a nap...:D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom