Andy Landers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Andy Landers

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Glad I am not alone. He occasionally says something interesting, but it takes a long time and a lot of words before you get to it. He did say something sort of witty when they put up Lou's shot chart last night and the two inside the arc red x for her missed jumpers sort of jumped out - 'I guess she is going to be doing some running in practice tomorrow'.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
You mean Olde Coaches never die, they go into broadcasting?

Yeah, something like that. And, there's a difference between having something to say and knowing how to say it clearly. Media work favors (or used to favor) those with language skills. In the Internet age though, we see and hear more from those who are famous for being famous, who utter outrageous rubbish, and who think they can re-invent grammar and syntax at their whim. Do I sound just a tad like an old goat here? Guilty as charged.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but ...
Man, that man is destroying my enjoyment of the NCAAs - I literally have to have the TV on mute whenever they head to the studio. The studio is often not the best listen, but with him droning away it is painful.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Andy is better, I guess, but I just can't warm to his style.

Reaction Score
The only thing I like about him is, that he gives a coach's perspective.
There are many, many other coaches available who could give as insightful or more insightful points and not be as tedious to listen to. He's probably the nicest guy in the world but how he ended up in his present role is beyond me.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, I can't stand listening to him. He meanders through a topic in a slow, ponderous way (thanks to Rocky for just the right word). When you get through the sheer volume of words, you realize he's not making particularly insightful points. Unlistenable.
Agree 100%. I liked the team of Kevin, Rebecca, and Kara. Not liking Michelle and Andy.

Reaction Score
I'd rather listen to him instead of Doris anyday !
Seriously???? Wow, that's amazingly hard to imagine. That old expression, "different strokes" is so evident here. To me, that's like someone saying they would rather listen to LBJ over JFK. The comparisons are sooooo extreme, to say the least. You may too young to understand the comparison.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, I can't stand listening to him. He meanders through a topic in a slow, ponderous way (thanks to Rocky for just the right word). When you get through the sheer volume of words, you realize he's not making particularly insightful points. Unlistenable.

I didn't remember this was an old thread and was preparing to like this post...when I realized I already liked it 2 weeks ago. Still correct!

Reaction Score
If you were looking for a basketball coach for a movie, he'd be your guy. Right out of central casting. I also think that he and Mike Huckabee were separated at birth,
I agree about the comparison to Mike Huckabee but Mike Huckabee is actually easy to listen to, even though I don't like his politics.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Andy is better, I guess, but I just can't warm to his style.

He is only better when Lobo keeps needling him and takes a little of the air out of him. Then he sounds reasonable.

Reaction Score
Seriously???? Wow, that's amazingly hard to imagine. That old expression, "different strokes" is so evident here. To me, that's like someone saying they would rather listen to LBJ over JFK. The comparisons are sooooo extreme, to say the least. You may too young to understand the comparison.
Really ? Since I was 10 when JFK was assassinated, I doubt it . I hate the way Doris builds up her anti uconn crap early in the game. Then, once huskies are up 20 she changes in mid stream. Hughes did a great job today. I like someone who actually explains what and why !

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As hard as I have been on him, today his post-game performance was really quite good. I did not see half time. When he stops trying to be big picture dramatic and re-engages his basketball acumen and explains what was on the floor, he is an asset. Can't go toe to toe with Rebecca, but she's had a lot of experience on the desk.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As hard as I have been on him, today his post-game performance was really quite good. I did not see half time. When he stops trying to be big picture dramatic and re-engages his basketball acumen and explains what was on the floor, he is an asset. Can't go toe to toe with Rebecca, but she's had a lot of experience on the desk.
Nevertheless his pauses while showing his thought processes just kills me when what comes out is so pedestrian. It's like every empty air second is a senior moment.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nevertheless his pauses while showing his thought processes just kills me when what comes out is so pedestrian. It's like every empty air second is a senior moment.

Yes, we all hold our breath ... Andy, Andy dead air is not a good thing. Pregnant pauses are not good when there is no birth when they end.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yes, we all hold our breath ... Andy, Andy dead air is not a good thing. Pregnant pauses are not good when there is no birth when they end.
LOL. More like afterbirth.

Reaction Score
I have really enjoyed Andy as an announcer this year. I also love Rebecca, Kara, Maria, and Nell. Kara and Rebecca with Andy have been fun listening.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
He is only better when Lobo keeps needling him and takes a little of the air out of him. Then he sounds reasonable.

I loved today when he was talking about old-style post play and Rebecca says, "What am I, a cave man?"

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I like Andy better in the studio than when he was coaching; he was just too intense on the sidelines. In the studio, he comes across a good old boy you'd love to spend an hour or two talking hoops with. (Apologies for ending a sentence with a preposition).

Reaction Score
On a mild tangent, I love Maria Taylor in the anchor position. She's knowledgeable, quick, funny, and asks good questions of her panelists. Not her fault that the answers she gets from the coach are flat-lined upon arrival.

Reaction Score
I thought he stroked out a few times today during a few of his pauses. If there is a basketball cliche he hasn't used, give him time.

Reaction Score
Rebecca is doing a Great job and must be exhausted by now. I have been watching them since the UConn game all day, and she and the other young lady are doing a very nice job. I like how feisty she is about the the Miami player fouling the FGCU player in the last seconds of the game. Bet you can't wait to go home to the kids and have a glass of something. Well done.

Oh, I think that Rebecca is the only one on the panel that has a Women's College Basketball Championship ring.

Reaction Score
I like Landers but he just missed a great lead in question from Rebecca Lobo. She was referring to when Gabby mentioned that she is most dangerous without the ball because nobody is paying attention to her and Rebecca was really impressed with that and asked 'coach wouldn't you love to have all players with that mindset?' and Landers totally missed it and started talking about field goal percentage lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom