Andre Johnson Jr commits to UConn | The Boneyard

Andre Johnson Jr commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Any relation to the hall of fame wide receiver?

Reaction Score
In state UConn is a relative bargain, don't have to make Paige type money for NIL to more than pay for college.

Reaction Score
Does he only get floor time in case of injuries?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We all know highlight videos aren’t a great barometer but he looks to have good size and a good jumper. What am I missing?
Video doesn’t show much of his handle, zero of his rebounding, defense and passing skills.

Reaction Score
Hassan Diarra would know because Putnam Science played South Kent twice this season, and PSA won by outsized margins both times.

If anyone knows Diarra, that's the person to ask, assuming he paid attention to the players on the South Kent team.

Reaction Score
Hassan Diarra would know because Putnam Science played South Kent twice this season, and PSA won by outsized margins both times.

If anyone knows Diarra, that's the person to ask, assuming he paid attention to the players on the South Kent team.
Except Diarra was 1800 miles away in College Station, TX so I doubt he was paying attention to South Kent. :)

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Regardless of what he’ll contribute he seem like a good locker room addition. Big personality.

Reaction Score
We all know highlight videos aren’t a great barometer but he looks to have good size and a good jumper. What am I missing?
That he's a walk on, betting on any walk on to be a contributor is a losing bet

Reaction Score

He does however seem more talented than the typical walk-on. Preferred walk-on is the appropriate term.

John Shea and Greg Economu once upon a time played meaningful minutes. A quick google search informed me that Jeff Hornacek and Scottie Pippen started out as walk-ons.

Two of our football walk-ons had NFL careers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He does however seem more talented than the typical walk-on. Preferred walk-on is the appropriate term.

John Shea and Greg Economu once upon a time played meaningful minutes. A quick google search informed me that Jeff Hornacek and Scottie Pippen started out as walk-ons.

And then, there’s Johnny Unitas.

Reaction Score
Not always.

Reaction Score

Sure, there's been a few. But notice how easy it was for you to pull pull out those names? That means they're the exception

Reaction Score
If he’s that good maybe he steps over another guard. Otherwise it’s wait for an injury for him to get minutes.

Reaction Score
But but but…this is the Boneyard where we expect every freshman to be the next Ray Ray.

Reaction Score

Assisted access link

-> But when the NCAA transfer portal hit full steam a couple of years ago, coupled with the extra year of eligibility for all student-athletes, the phone calls pretty much stopped. In fact, Johnson never did get a DI offer.

So the 6-foot-4 guard from South Kent Prep decided to change his focus.

“When I told schools he was thinking of being a walk-on instead of going down a level,” South Kent coach Raphael Chillious recalled, “a lot of teams were like, ‘Shoot, we’ll take him as a walk-on anytime.’”

One of those teams was UConn. Dan Hurley liked what he saw from Johnson at an open gym and the UConn staff stayed in touch with him. Next season, Johnson will be a preferred walk-on for the Huskies.

“It just felt right,” Johnson told Hearst Connecticut Media. “I liked it there. I feel like it’s the place for me.” <-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom