Andre Jackson Paasing - No Points for Degree of Difficulty | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson Paasing - No Points for Degree of Difficulty

Reaction Score
The perfect pass is one that gets caught and translates into a basket. Bob Cousy use to say you don’t get extra points for degree of difficulty.

If Andre Jackson is going to contribute in ways other than scoring he must do it by efficiently assisting, rebounding and defense.

First the good news, Andre is quick and fierce to the ball and his rebounding (16 last night) was especially critical with Adama playing playing only 21 minutes.

His defense, while far from perfect, was generally good, especially when matched up against Champagnie.

His passing though continues to be an area of concern. Andre simply doesn’t value the ball and an offensive possession enough. 4 assists and 5 turnovers is not a good stat line, especially when 3 of his turnovers easily could have been assists, if Andre exercised some disciple and judgement. A bullet pass delivered to Martin’s ankles and an above the box type lob to Adama were two such missed opportunities - where a simple pass would have been an assist and score.

Andre has that great vision, willingness to pass and creativity to be really good at passing. Chief and his coaches should challenge him to do so.

Quite frankly, after a satisfying win, Chief was a little disappointed Danny seemed to imply because of our shooting and turnover woes it is critical to improve on defense. While defensive improvement is welcomed, fixing these offensive issues is imperative if we are to have a good post season run.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The perfect pass is one that gets caught and translates into a basket. Bob Cousy use to say you don’t get extra points for degree of difficulty.

If Andre Jackson is going to contribute in ways other than scoring he must do it by efficiently assisting, rebounding and defense.

First the good news, Andre is quick and fierce to the ball and his rebounding (16 last night) was especially critical with Adama playing playing only 21 minutes.

His defense, while far from perfect, was generally good, especially when matched up against Champagnie.

His passing though continues to be an area of concern. Andre simply doesn’t value the ball and an offensive possession enough. 4 assists and 5 turnovers is not a good stat line, especially when 3 of his turnovers easily could have been assists, if Andre exercised some disciple and judgement. A bullet pass delivered to Martin’s ankles and an above the box type lob to Adama were two such missed opportunities - where a simple pass would have been an assist and score.

Andre has that great vision, willingness to pass and creativity to be really good at passing. Chief and his coaches should challenge him to do so.

Quite frankly, after a satisfying win, Chief was a little disappointed Danny seemed to imply because of our shooting and turnover woes it is critical to improve on defense. While defensive improvement is welcomed, fixing these offensive issues is imperative if we are to have a good post season run.
Agree, though I think some of those turnovers are due to him seeing things that nobody else realizes is there including the intended pass recipient.

I’d also say he needs to have confidence in the open shot. Yesterday he was open to dunk the ball and kicked it out. While I appreciate the selflessness, take the sure two points and get back on defense.

Reaction Score

Are you challenging yourself in the third person?

Reaction Score
I feel silly making this comparison, but I remember when Kobe was a young player in the NBA (2nd year I think). I lived in L.A. at the time. I heard an interview with assistant Brian Shaw (I think). Brian described a conversation with Phil Jackson about Kobe. Why isn't Phil tougher on Kobe after mistakes Brian asked Phil. At the time Kobe was not really that great. Made constant mistakes. Phil said Kobe is in attack mode all the time and Phil was concerned that too much criticism might make Kobe tentative and less aggressive. So he simply decided to let him play through the mistakes. Eventually Kobe reduced the mistakes, but never lost any of his aggressiveness.

Anyways, the comparison is silly. Kobe vs Andre Jackson, but is there a lesson there? Just let Jackson keep whipping those passes around. Encourage him to keep looking for those opportunities. Make no attempt to reduce aggressiveness when it comes to passing. Eventually he'll learn how to reduce the turnovers on his own.

Reaction Score
Agree, though I think some of those turnovers are due to him seeing things that nobody else realizes is there including the intended pass recipient.

I’d also say he needs to have confidence in the open shot. Yesterday he was open to dunk the ball and kicked it out. While I appreciate the selflessness, take the sure two points and get back on defense.
Isn't that called "hallucinating?"

Reaction Score

I agree sometimes it’s on the recipient. Other times (as in the two examples I gave (lob to Adama and ankle pass to Tyres), it was on Andre.
Regardless, I would argue a great passer on general should know the capabilities of the recipient. Does he have good hands, can he see the ball in traffic, you can throw the ball lower to a guard, etc.
At the end of the day - did it lead to a score or turnover? Sometimes the same pass might be good for one recipient but not another one.

Reaction Score
The truth of it is that Jackson is not actually a good passer, yet. He certainly has the potential to be one. He has good vision and is unselfish, but he tries to make far too many difficult passes, puts too much heat on too many passes. The game still needs to slow down for him a bit more. He needs more finesse in his passing game and to understand what's a good pass and what is not.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I don’t know that I’d go as far to say he’s not a good passer but he definitely needs to slow it down at times and recognize either the numbers aren’t there or someone may not be in a great position to take a pass and do anything with it. Goes along with my overall take on the season that we need to play smarter.

Reaction Score
I feel silly making this comparison, but I remember when Kobe was a young player in the NBA (2nd year I think). I lived in L.A. at the time. I heard an interview with assistant Brian Shaw (I think). Brian described a conversation with Phil Jackson about Kobe. Why isn't Phil tougher on Kobe after mistakes Brian asked Phil. At the time Kobe was not really that great. Made constant mistakes. Phil said Kobe is in attack mode all the time and Phil was concerned that too much criticism might make Kobe tentative and less aggressive. So he simply decided to let him play through the mistakes. Eventually Kobe reduced the mistakes, but never lost any of his aggressiveness.

Anyways, the comparison is silly. Kobe vs Andre Jackson, but is there a lesson there? Just let Jackson keep whipping those passes around. Encourage him to keep looking for those opportunities. Make no attempt to reduce aggressiveness when it comes to passing. Eventually he'll learn how to reduce the turnovers on his own.
Yeah we don’t have Shaq nor a 15 year career to wait on

We get 2 more years of Jackson and his playing through mistakes in losing, futile effort only slows development for the young kids. What investment and sacrifice are we willing to make, and what return can we realistically expect?

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this yesterday. He needs to be less creative and more efficient. When he masters efficient he can then move on to creative.
When I coached LL Baseball 9 of 10 throw from the outfield to home plate would end up on the backstop or up the line somewhere. Meanwhile the baserunners would take a tour of the bases. Once in a while they would nail the kid at home plate, but I would trade
that one time for being efficient they other 9. I tried to discourage throwing home, they weren't ready for it.
Stop slapping five every time you throw the ball away. Tell your self no more. It is not just him, we need to respect possessions more. That starts with Hurley.

Reaction Score
Yeah we don’t have Shaq nor a 15 year career to wait on

We get 2 more years of Jackson and his playing through mistakes in losing, futile effort only slows development for the young kids. What investment and sacrifice are we willing to make, and what return can we realistically expect?
Maybe

Reaction Score
The truth of it is that Jackson is not actually a good passer, yet. He certainly has the potential to be one. He has good vision and is unselfish, but he tries to make far too many difficult passes, puts too much heat on too many passes. The game still needs to slow down for him a bit more. He needs more finesse in his passing game and to understand what's a good pass and what is not.
Good points. Exactly.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this yesterday. He needs to be less creative and more efficient. When he masters efficient he can then move on to creative.
When I coached LL Baseball 9 of 10 throw from the outfield to home plate would end up on the backstop or up the line somewhere. Meanwhile the baserunners would take a tour of the bases. Once in a while they would nail the kid at home plate, but I would trade
that one time for being efficient they other 9. I tried to discourage throwing home, they weren't ready for it.
Stop slapping five every time you throw the ball away. Tell your self no more. It is not just him, we need to respect possessions more. That starts with Hurley.
Agree, value the ball. Be quick but don’t hurry per John Wooden.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, Robert Parish used to smoke high-quality cannabis after tough games.
Perhaps the Boneyard's Chief00 does the same, which helps explain Chief00's sometimes confusion about the use of "I" or "me," and "Chief."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom