Andra, Lexi and Mikayla | The Boneyard

Andra, Lexi and Mikayla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks so much, Rocky. In the current insanity over one player, we sometimes forget how excited we are about these three; not to mention the two red-shirted students who become eligible. Not to look past the incredibly interesting (hope not in the Chinese sense of "interesting times") year ahead, but, my oh my, 2017 looks amazing!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Thanks so much, Rocky. In the current insanity over one player, we sometimes forget how excited we are about these three; not to mention the two red-shirted students who become eligible. Not to look past the incredibly interesting (hope not in the Chinese sense of "interesting times") year ahead, but, my oh my, 2017 looks amazing!
Not to mention the young Ms's Bent and Irwin from this year. I say again, why does everyone want to sleep on these two? I'll say it again, they are players cut from a familiar UConn mold: Incredibly hard working, hard driving, gritty team players who play good positional defense, and have good shots and great attitudes. These young ladies are going to surprise a lot of Boneyarders and a lot of the competition early and late in the season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not to mention the young Ms's Bent and Irwin from this year. I say again, why does everyone want to sleep on these two? I'll say it again, they are players cut from a familiar UConn mold: Incredibly hard working, hard driving, gritty team players who play good positional defense, and have good shots and great attitudes. These young ladies are going to surprise a lot of Boneyarders and a lot of the competition early and late in the season.

JordyG, I can only speak for myself (others may feel the same as I do). I'm not sleeping on Bent or Irwin. I have not seen them play AT THIS LEVEL YET. What they did in high school is laudable, but they need to pass the "eye" test at this level before I can form an opinion on them.

They have to show me that they can play at this level, and hold their own. They have not done that yet. Once official practice begins, I'm sure we'll begin to get reports from the media who are allowed to view a practice session or two.

Right now, there's nothing to report. The girls are playing "pick-up" games until October 15, the day college teams can begin official practices.

When you come in as a freshman in college, you come in with zero street credibility. You've got nothing in the bank, or in your back pocket. Everything is in front of you. You've got to get your street cred the same way Smith-Barney earned their money.

Remember what the late John Houseman use to say in those circa 1986 Smith-Barney commercials? "Smith-Barney, they make money the old fashioned way..........they earn it" :cool:

Last edited:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
JordyG, I can only speak for myself (others may feel the same as I do). I'm not sleeping on Bent or Irwin. I have not seen them play AT THIS LEVEL YET. What they did in high school is laudable, but they need to pass the "eye" test at this level before I can form an opinion on them.

You are correct!

Let's remember that also applies to Crystal D.

Reaction Score
I have to admit that I have neglected Bent and Irwin...............if they turn out to be as good as Geno thinks they can be, then they'll be the best argument yet that player rankings mean absolutely nothing!!!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
You are correct!

Let's remember that also applies to Crystal D.

Absolutely! If Crystal is as good as advertised, myself, along with several other posters here, expect her to be in the starting line up by Feb 1, 2017. Now that means that Geno will have to sit down one of the starters.
At THIS point, there is absolutely no way of guessing who that may be, since we don't know who the starters will be yet. If she is in fact the second coming of Moriah Jefferson, Geno may find it very difficult to keep her on the bench for extended periods of time. A problem he would no doubt welcome. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Absolutely! If Crystal is as good as advertised, myself, along with several other posters here, expect her to be in the starting line up by Feb 1, 2017. Now that means that Geno will have to sit down one of the starters.
At THIS point, there is absolutely no way of guessing who that may be, since we don't know who the starters will be yet. If she is in fact the second coming of Moriah Jefferson, Geno may find it very difficult to keep her on the bench for extended periods of time. A problem he would no doubt welcome. :cool:
But Mo didn't start her freshman year, so do people really expect Crystal Dangerfield to be better than Mo? Mo was arguably the greatest PG in UConn history so it seems rather unlikely that someone that good would be coming in so soon given that it took what more than a decade for someone to challenge Bird?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
But Mo didn't start her freshman year, so do people really expect Crystal Dangerfield to be better than Mo?

Theoretically, she'd only have to be some percentage better than Jefferson as a freshmen, and Geno has stated he thinks CD is ahead of MoJeff at the same stage. Don't know who will get that spot, but I think it's the most interesting decision the staff will have to make.

Reaction Score
Theoretically, she'd only have to be some percentage better than Jefferson as a freshmen, and Geno has stated he thinks CD is ahead of MoJeff at the same stage. Don't know who will get that spot, but I think it's the most interesting decision the staff will have to make.
Geno said that?? Man that guy is getting soft as he gets older. What happened to the Geno that throws balls at kids when they screw up or kicks them out of practice?

Reaction Score

Right on, Jordy. No one will be able to "sleep on" these newbies because there's no bench beyond them this year. I believe that Kyla will be special and hope that Crystal is able to step in asap. Both should be starting by some time early next year. To begin, I expect Geno to go with Saniya at the point, Kia, Collier, Gabby, and KLS. The freshmen will sub in initially, though the team can't afford injuries that keep anyone out too long--there's just no depth this year. Butler will probably get some time, too; after her, there's no one. Bags says the year should be "interesting"; that's putting it mildly.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

They have to show me that they can play at this level, and hold their own. They have not done that yet. Once official practice begins, I'm sure we'll begin to get reports from the media who are allowed to view a practice session or two.

Right now, there's nothing to report. The girls are playing "pick-up" games until October 15, the day college teams can begin official practices.

When you come in as a freshman in college, you come in with zero street credibility. You've got nothing in the bank, or in your back pocket. Everything is in front of you. You've got to get your street cred the same way Smith-Barney earned their money.

Remember what the late John Houseman use to say in those circa 1986 Smith-Barney commercials? "Smith-Barney, they make money the old fashioned way.....they earn it" :cool:
Geno's view on playing time is the Smith-Barney approach.

Reaction Score
But Mo didn't start her freshman year, so do people really expect Crystal Dangerfield to be better than Mo? Mo was arguably the greatest PG in UConn history so it seems rather unlikely that someone that good would be coming in so soon given that it took what more than a decade for someone to challenge Bird?

I think that CD is more advanced offensively then MJ was a a freshman but let' see how performs on the big stage

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Right on, Jordy. No one will be able to "sleep on" these newbies because there's no bench beyond them this year. I believe that Kyla will be special and hope that Crystal is able to step in asap. Both should be starting by some time early next year. To begin, I expect Geno to go with Saniya at the point, Kia, Collier, Gabby, and KLS. The freshmen will sub in initially, though the team can't afford injuries that keep anyone out too long--there's just no depth this year. Butler will probably get some time, too; after her, there's no one. Bags says the year should be "interesting"; that's putting it mildly.
Whose place do you think Kyla will take? Barring injury, I can't see any freshman beating out Napheesa, Gabby, or KLS. I believe Kyla will play a lot but will she know the system well enough to start?

Reaction Score

huskyd- - - -Bringing Natalie B. off the bench brings a little bit but bringing Gabby W. off the bench brings everything!
Speed, athletic off the charts, jump through the roof, hustle your socks off! Will have added an outside shot!
Natalie starting gives the Huskies power and height to start!
Geno likes to add speed/athlete with his 1st sub = Gabby!

Carnac

Reaction Score

Hoops, allow me to share a couple of observations your post suggested to me.

1. You did what every UConn fan (including me) has done, and will do for the next two years. You compared Crystal to Moriah. Two thoughts here. Mo is the most recent pg in the program. She just left 5 months ago. Since her verbal to UConn, Dangerfield has been viewed/perceived as Mo's "heir apparent". Crystal (to my knowledge ) has not been compared to any other UConn pg, just Mo. Unfair or not, those comparisons will continue to be made, even though they are two completely different players, from different backgrounds and experiences. No one has compared her to Jen, Sue, Rene, or Bria, just Moriah.

Jefferson raised the bar, not only at UConn, but all across the landscape of WCBB. She set a standard over the last 3 years that may never be eclipsed by any future pg, if you use career wins and number of NC's as a measuring device. This is further evidenced by the fact that Mo left her jersey hanging in a hallowed section on the wall in Gampel Pavilion before she left. Crystal's problem is that she's following a legend. Similar to Gene Bartow who took over for the Wizard of Westwood (John Wooden) at UCLA in 1975. Also similar to whoever follows Geno (God bless him/her) when he leaves UConn. A no win situation for sure. Built in pressure and expectations far beyond the norm.

2. As to your mention that Mo did not start her freshman year - Her situation was much different than Crystal's. When Mo arrived at UConn her freshman year, Bria Hartley was the point guard. Bria was a senior, and had been the starting pg for 3 years. The position was not open. As Crystal arrives on campus this summer, the pg position is open. The player that started at that position the previous season is gone. In theory, it's up for grabs for whoever can win/earn it.

Some think Saniya Chong will emerge as the starter. This depends on several factors:
1. Has Chong completely healed and recovered from the IT band syndrome that hampered her all of last year?
Has Chong improved her ability to keep her man in front of her on defense? Even before the IT Band issue, this kept Chong on the bench since the Stanford game in 2014, as Geno appeared to have loss faith (trust) in her. She seldom appeared in the first half of games last year. For the most part, her floor time was limited to the waning moments of games that had already been decided. Some posters have suggested that Chong should be given the position (rite of passage/experience), others think Dangerfield should start, while others think: let them both compete for it, (on a level playing field) and may the best person win.

Few believe that Nurse is equipped to handle pg duties for an extended period of time. Maybe a game or two, but not for the entire season. Many posters here have commented that they don't believe that Nurse has the handle or quickness to play the point. IF Geno and staff feel the same way, this leaves Chong and Dangerfield as the two most likely candidates to run the point this year.

As far as Crystal challenging Bird, We'll have to wait until 2020 to find out if she was able to do that. No one thought Jefferson would become the player she became. No one thought she would set the records she did, win the awards she did, or win the number games and championships she did. Even the all knowing all seeing Carnac didn't see that one coming. :p

At this point, we don't know how Dangerfield will fair between October 15 and January 15. I believe Lou became a starter towards the end of January last season. Samuelson used this 3 month period to make the adjustment to playing for Geno and the speed of the game at this level. How long will it take Dangerfield to make these adjustments? How long will it take her to learn the offensive plays, and the defensive concepts and assignments Geno uses? We don't know.

Chong has a leg up on Crystal because she already knows the plays and the defenses Geno employs, in addition to having 3 years of experience behind her. We'll know after the 5th non-exhibition game of the season (Chattanooga - Nov 29) who the point guard is likely to be for the remainder of the season. My theory: Whoever ??? starts the season at the point, IF they can hold on to it through the first 5 games which includes power houses Florida State & Baylor, she will probably retain the position the rest of the season. Last year, the only change Gino made to the starting line up was Lou for Gabby. Obviously Geno felt Lou was not ready to start at the beginning of the season. We'll see. how this plays out. Only 21 more days to first night. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A couple of additional points:

When Moriah arrived, we had not only Bria. We also had Caroline, who had quarterbacked an undefeated championship team.

Moriah was the National DPOY last season. I don't expect Crystal to be THAT good on defense. On offense, however, she likely will be in the Pantheon of great UConn PGs.

Carnac

Reaction Score

When Moriah arrived, we had not only Bria. We also had Caroline, who had quarterbacked an undefeated championship team.

Moriah was the National DPOY last season. I don't expect Crystal to be THAT good on defense. On offense, however, she likely will be in the Pantheon of great UConn PGs.

Good point. Bria was thrust into the starting pg role as a freshman because Doty (who would have been the starting pg) was injured.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I believe Caroline's knee problems had by then led to the need to limit her minutes.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Few believe that Nurse is equipped to handle pg duties for an extended period of time. Maybe a game or two, but not for the entire season.
I think Nurse can handle the PG position. I think she'll most likely be the starting PG at the beginning of the season. I would like to see Chong or Dangerfield be able to step into the role, but not sure yet if they can. As such I think it's Nurse's to lose right now.

No one thought Jefferson would become the player she became.
I did. She was the highest rated PG ever to come out of HS. I figured she would be an AA/Leiberman winner. No I didn't think when they came in they would be able to pull off the 4-peat, but I thought Jefferson could make a run at Bird, and she did.

Reaction Score
huskyd- - - -Bringing Natalie B. off the bench brings a little bit but bringing Gabby W. off the bench brings everything!
Speed, athletic off the charts, jump through the roof, hustle your socks off! Will have added an outside shot!
Natalie starting gives the Huskies power and height to start!
Geno likes to add speed/athlete with his 1st sub = Gabby!

Absolutely agree with you that Gabby's greatest contribution may be as the Energizer Bunny coming off the bench. However, until Butler can demonstrate that she's not a liability, she isn't going to play much. I'm guessing that Geno is going to put his best players on the court; Gabby is one of those. Because the front line is so thin this year, I've no doubt that Natalie will get a chance to show she's the player she was at Georgetown.

Reaction Score
Whose place do you think Kyla will take? Barring injury, I can't see any freshman beating out Napheesa, Gabby, or KLS. I believe Kyla will play a lot but will she know the system well enough to start?

Really good question. My thinking is based on 2 considerations: one, the front line of the Huskies is thin and height-challenged; and, two, and Gabby is terrific coming off the bench. I'm thinking that at 6'2" Kyla will provide some vertical support, and, as a solid body, some strength as well. Collier is similar to Gabby in many ways, so if they act as subs during games for each other, that will fill a critical need (and allow for Gabby's propensity to foul). Geno will probably use Lou and Kia to bring the ball up sometimes. That would permit him to use Kyla, Napheesa, AND Gabby at the same time. It's not so much about beating anyone out but about using personnel to the best advantage. There's a bit more depth in guards, so going small is an option, too.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I am just wondering where this height challenged thing is coming from. Are you listening to the snarky fans from other clubs? You literally could start a 5 all 6' and up, who else can do that? Even if you get one of the smaller guards ready to contribute, your line up would still be 4, 6' players and one under. Dang, I wish we could start a group like that. A lot of other teams will say but we have this size player and such but you already have 4 long players who have shown they can cause havoc, you guys are spoiled rotten and don't even know it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom