Andra Espinoza-Hunter Makes U16 Team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter Makes U16 Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Wbbfan1:Kenny Kalina Tweets about USA Basketball selections for U16 team and how they are overlooking (being Kind) Florida players.
--------------
I strongly suspect that the nefarious anti-Florida bias is a direct response to that infamously sketchy character known as DavidinNaples.

image.jpg

Guilty...

Last edited by a moderator:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think that statement might be the key as to why certain players were selected and others left off. There are enough top quality players available to select the individual pieces that would make up the best team. A team of ALL STARS isn't always the best team. I was watching a hi- light video after the second cut and a saw a snippet of a player missing an open teammate cutting alone to the basket. This was not on a break but in a half court set. Rather than pass the ball to the teammate for the easy layup and score she maintained her dribble made a couple moves past two players too score. Very impressive individual effort but I doubt she made the team. Some individuals watching that play might be entirely focused on the great moves that player made to get the score and not see the lack of court vision or team work.

It all depends on what someone is looking for in a player. Sometimes people who scout and evaluate players individual skill sets and abilities do not consider how that individual part will fit into the whole. Some of the other things the committee seems to value is how well the player interacts with their teammates in creating team chemistry and yes harmony. From what I heard that is a major part of the selection process. Their talent pool is so vast that they certainly might allow themselves that luxury.

A lot of really good players who are stars and the focus on their own high school teams never learn until they get to the next level how to play with other elite players. UConn like the USA teams,to a degree also has the luxury of of being somewhat selective in who they recruit as well. It's not just about how good they are,but also how well they fit into the system.

I am not implying that that is the reason that certain players were not picked, rather that it is something to consider.
As Herb Brooks said, "You win with people, not with talent".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom