. . . And Bob Burton weighs in! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

. . . And Bob Burton weighs in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I don't perceive anything he said as cocky. He had much greater knowledge than any of us about two things when he made his seemingly obnoxious statements 3 years ago. He knew how useless Hathaway was and he also knew that PP was way past his prime.

In retrospect, he had every right to be angry. Think about how infuriating it is that we couldn't get a basketball facility built under Hathaway yet Herbst and Co. drummed up the money in no time at all. Burton watched PP lose touch with the Syracuse program. The guy knew all of it, we just didn't want to hear it.

Not 'we.' You and others. I was a big supporter of Burton. He helped Greenwich get lights and was always a supporter of the schools his sons played at. I've always been a fan of Burton.

Reaction Score
A little clarification here.... One of Burton's sons.... Joey Burton .. played football at Syracuse. Another son played at UConn. The son at UConn was named a captain of the team. Joey, the son at Syracuse, was not named a captain (even though he could have been on the merits of it). That is the reason why Burton so hated Pasqualoni .. and did not want him to be the UConn coach. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reaction Score
Why should an athletic director take a donors advice on a head coach? I have zero confidence in an AD who would let the donor give the thumbs up or down to a coach.

Donors have input in a lot of power house universities such as: Bama, Notre Dame, USC, etc... if he's donating millions of dollars to "help" the program why shouldn't he have an opinion? he even wants to promote UCONN to the ACC BiG conference.

Reaction Score
A little clarification here.... One of Burton's sons.... Joey Burton .. played football at Syracuse. Another son played at UConn. The son at UConn was named a captain of the team. Joey, the son at Syracuse, was not named a captain (even though he could have been on the merits of it). That is the reason why Burton so hated Pasqualoni .. and did not want him to be the UConn coach. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't know if that is realistic. I'm sure there is probably something to that widely held belief but somehow I think that was just one of the things he didn't like. As Cuse football started falling apart, I'm sure Burton was watching very closely.

Reaction Score
At the risk of getting the dreaded "Debbie Downer" tag. Burton sounds like the type of out of control booster that has gotten programs in trouble over the years. He seems to be undercutting WM as he speaks. He wants to hire someone to promote us to other schools and build relations with them so we can get into a better conference? Isn't that a prime function of the AD? I can just hear the phone call now. "Hello, is Mr. (fill in B1G school AD) in the office today? I'm the flack hired by Mr. Burton to get UConn into your conference and would like to speak with him or maybe take him to lunch so we can discuss it." B1G secretary--- " Is this call a Prank?"

Reaction Score
I agree with everything Burton said and we need him closely associated with our program. I know Burton is a very wealthy many but does anyone know how wealthy? Are we talking hundreds of millions of dollars?

Reaction Score
Not 'we.' You and others. I was a big supporter of Burton. He helped Greenwich get lights and was always a supporter of the schools his sons played at. I've always been a fan of Burton.

You are taking my words too literally. What I mean is that many fans felt Burton was out of line in taking his plight to the press. By publicly threatening to stop supporting UConn and by publicly undermining the new coach, he pissed people off. Now it is more obvious that he has every right and reason to be upset. I personally don't recall actually caring too much about what he said 3 year ago.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything Burton said and we need him closely associated with our program. I know Burton is a very wealthy many but does anyone know how wealthy? Are we talking hundreds of millions of dollars?

Probably 100-200 million based on the value of Cenveo and his hedge fund.

Reaction Score
You are taking my words to literally. What I mean is that many fans felt Burton was out of line in taking his plight to the press. By publicly threatening to stop supporting UConn and by publicly undermining the new coach, he pissed people off. Now it is more obvious that he has every right and reason to be upset. I personally don't recall actually caring too much about what he said 3 year ago.
I believe it was Hathaway that released Burtons letter to the press.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
At the risk of getting the dreaded "Debbie Downer" tag. Burton sounds like the type of out of control booster that has gotten programs in trouble over the years. He seems to be undercutting WM as he speaks. He wants to hire someone to promote us to other schools and build relations with them so we can get into a better conference? Isn't that a prime function of the AD? I can just hear the phone call now. "Hello, is Mr. (fill in B1G school AD) in the office today? I'm the flack hired by Mr. Burton to get UConn into your conference and would like to speak with him or maybe take him to lunch so we can discuss it." B1G secretary--- " Is this call a Prank?"
I thought UConn had hired someone to work on CR stuff already? Not in the athletic department but in the president's office.

Anyway, the thing with money is it's not just about the money. Burton may have been a pompous but he was proven correct. Hathaway apparently didn't have the skills or inclination to deal with pompous dbags, which is kinda part of the AD job. You don't need to hand the reigns over (reins?) but you should be able to make the guy feel like he's being respected, which is the main thing those ego guys want. He's made an investment of money but also some of his personal stake in something he wanted to be a part of and when Hathaway wouldn't give him the time of day he was ready to find another school to donate to. Hopefully WM has those skills.

Reaction Score
I was continuing my research, but am unable to find anything on the hedge fund side.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I mean, love em or hate em, Burton has done a lot for our program and I know he's helped out FHCRE with private funding for differnt things he wanted to do inside the Football Complex during his time here, so now that he'll be back in the picture, I wonder what that'll mean to the program $ wise? Sounds like a good thing, and having a big time, big money supporter like Burton is what all big programs have and what we need to have. Think T. Boone Pickens and Oklahoma State?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think that this is unbelievable news for UCONN. Might even be bigger than the firing itself. The guy comes off as a pompous asshatt, but it is his money and he can damn well do what he likes with it. I think it is great for the university to have him back as a supporter of the cause. The was right about every single thing he said. He can single handedly make the next hire the right one with his wallet.
No, if he didn't have money to hire a permanent CRPR guy, he'd be an asshat. With that money, he's a forward thinking genius.

Reaction Score

He is exactly what UConn needs. Has anyone else come forward. WM clearly is in over his head and needs all the help he can get or he will be next to go.

Reaction Score
It's what 3 years later and I still find it unfathomable that Hathaway hired a coach that so alienated the biggest money donator the program has to the point where he doesn't even watch the games anymore let alone go to them.

How is that even possible? Burton has 7 million reasons why you should make every effort to make sure he is the most satisfied with whoever is hired.

Reaction Score
I mean, love em or hate em, Burton has done a lot for our program and I know he's helped out FHCRE with private funding for differnt things he wanted to do inside the Football Complex during his time here, so now that he'll be back in the picture, I wonder what that'll mean to the program $ wise? Sounds like a good thing, and having a big time, big money supporter like Burton is what all big programs have and what we need to have. Think T. Boone Pickens and Oklahoma State?

Keeping them informed and well stroked is one thing giving them input into the running of the AD is another. The jury is still out on the Pickens/OKey State relationship. As far as I know he knows where to draw the line between support and "undue interference" although I have heard rumors about pending NCAA action, there is nothing definite. I do know from close observation that boosters have gotten Bama hit with sanctions twice in the last 25 years. Also Auburn was close to having its accreditation put on a watch list over the actions of two boosters. Take their money, keep them well informed and invite them to lots of "private events" just keep them under control.

Reaction Score
Just reading the thread now and the people who say Burton is the arrogant one? Well I don't know what to tell you. That's just not a very smart thing to think at this point.

Arrogant is an athletic director hiring the one guy who would so alienate your biggest money man and booster that he doesn't even WATCH the games anymore. That's stunning to me. You cannot survive without the big money boosters. And to alienate him for what? Paul Pasqualoni? Unbelievable.

Reaction Score
Why should an athletic director take a donors advice on a head coach? I have zero confidence in an AD who would let the donor give the thumbs up or down to a coach.

070A-608-AB.jpg

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
I thought UConn had hired someone to work on CR stuff already? Not in the athletic department but in the president's office.

Anyway, the thing with money is it's not just about the money. Burton may have been a pompous but he was proven correct. Hathaway apparently didn't have the skills or inclination to deal with pompous dbags, which is kinda part of the AD job. You don't need to hand the reigns over (reins?) but you should be able to make the guy feel like he's being respected, which is the main thing those ego guys want. He's made an investment of money but also some of his personal stake in something he wanted to be a part of and when Hathaway wouldn't give him the time of day he was ready to find another school to donate to. Hopefully WM has those skills.

I recall the same. I assumed Burton basically offered to donate money to fund that person's salary so it doesn't come out of the taxpayer, university, or athletic department budget.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Just reading the thread now and the people who say Burton is the arrogant one? Well I don't know what to tell you. That's just not a very smart thing to think at this point.

Arrogant is an athletic director hiring the one guy who would so alienate your biggest money man and booster that he doesn't even WATCH the games anymore. That's stunning to me. You cannot survive without the big money boosters. And to alienate him for what? Paul Pasqualoni? Unbelievable.

Amen brother!!

Reaction Score
Burton was right about PP, but this needing 4 and 5 star guys to stay in business stuff? Those types of guys don't exactly run up to Storrs. I'd love to hear the coach Burton honestly thinks would come here to attract all that 4 and 5 star talent.

Reaction Score
I was continuing my research, but am unable to find anything on the hedge fund side.
Hedge funds are privately owned partnerships. You won't find anything. (The don't have file the same forms that publicly held companies do)

Reaction Score

Well I recall more than one poster here suggesting that Hathaway was a quite a control freak....that he also liked to micromanage as well. You mix that personality with a powerful booster who wants his opinion to be heard and you don't end up with very much harmony. But as has been suggested here earlier, part of any good AD's job description is to put your ego on hold and make sure that you at least listen to your university's biggest donors. Hathaway almost seemed to want to tick them off instead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom