Analogy for This Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Analogy for This Season

Reaction Score
Too many variables to take away from what already is a special follow up season. They lost 3 starters to the NBA and were sitting here with a week of regular season left with just 3 losses. We’re not done but things happen. There’s going to be some really good 8-9 seeds never know. Same with 2-3-4 depends who you get, your health and how you shoot it and defend. I have faith the one thing we will see is fight like no other team This team, the way they share the ball has been special. They care for each other it’s so noticeable.

They’re not done but I can say they’ve already showed me how special they are in the UConn legacy. They won’t settle for anything but W’s so I’m thinking their focus will be fun to watch in the dance.

We will see, we’re lucky to even be discussing a repeat but it’s not a must for me, just a bonus.

Reaction Score
Too many variables to take away from what already is a special follow up season. They lost 3 starters to the NBA and were sitting here with a week of regular season left with just 3 losses. We’re not done but things happen. There’s going to be some really good 8-9 seeds never know. Same with 2-3-4 depends who you get, your health and how you shoot it and defend. I have faith the one thing we will see is fight like no other team This team, the way they share the ball has been special. They care for each other it’s so noticeable.

They’re not done but I can say they’ve already showed me how special they are in the UConn legacy. They won’t settle for anything but W’s so I’m thinking their focus will be fun to watch in the dance.

We will see, we’re lucky to even be discussing a repeat but it’s not a must for me, just a bonus.
I agree with so much of what you said, but I feel this team has the expectations to with it all, just like the 2004 team. 2011, 14, 23 were bonus Natties. While I really appreciate this year’s team, it would be heartbreaking if they didn’t get #6 this year.

Reaction Score
Hard to compare this but as UConn fans let’s just recognize what we have had the last 2 seasons is unbelievable. Just ask the fans of the other so called “best teams” out there. Purdue, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas who have taken a back seat to us in these 2 seasons for Gods sake!
No guarantee that we can win it against the other 68 teams that want it and are working feverishly just as hard to get it, but damn we’ve had it good.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
What's become very obvious recently is how deep we are

Alex has a bad game, we roll

Cam has a bad game, we roll

Stephon has a bad game, we roll

So many options, so many ways to play, and this team is hungry too

My eyes don't lie, we're special

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One time I was petting my cat “Gus” in the dark and I was scratching her chin and I was like "wow why is your fur so rough" and then I realized I was scratching her butthole and she was letting me and I think that’s analogous
So we now know what Jungle Lobo does for kicks.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
One time I was petting my cat “Gus” in the dark and I was scratching her chin and I was like "wow why is your fur so rough" and then I realized I was scratching her butthole and she was letting me and I think that’s analogous

Analogous to what? Predicting a 9-point Seton Hall win?

Reaction Score
That Florida team was exactly the same roster two years in a row. It became evident by the end of the 2006 season they were the best team then they returned everyone despite some being projected lottery picks the following year.
It helped that two of them had wealthy fathers. Not sure about the third guy who was so important to them.

Reaction Score
I am a pessimist at heart so all I can think about is George Mason and Teddy Allen of New Mexico State killing our dreams. However that being said, I’m pessimistic about my pessimistic thoughts.

Reaction Score
I agree with so much of what you said, but I feel this team has the expectations to with it all, just like the 2004 team. 2011, 14, 23 were bonus Natties. While I really appreciate this year’s team, it would be heartbreaking if they didn’t get #6 this year.

Sure it’s been heartbreaking for me in every loss in every post season tourney I love the Huskies. 2006 against George Mason was big time because you thought the FF was a done deal. I don’t want to think that way again so I’m good with letting it play out. I know they can and every game will be hand sweating for me and to be back in that world is a blessing for me again after losing that for a while.

Reaction Score
Sure it’s been heartbreaking for me in every loss in every post season tourney I love the Huskies. 2006 against George Mason was big time because you thought the FF was a done deal. I don’t want to think that way again so I’m good with letting it play out. I know they can and every game will be hand sweating for me and to be back in that world is a blessing for me again after losing that for a while.
I was in a sports bar in Arlington Va. when that happened with my brother in law who went to George Mason. Doesn’t get worse than that.

Reaction Score
I am a pessimist at heart so all I can think about is George Mason and Teddy Allen of New Mexico State killing our dreams. However that being said, I’m pessimistic about my pessimistic thoughts.

That NMS year wasn’t a Final 4 caliber squad

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this last night -- I feel like in sports we often see cases where a team comes on unexpectedly strong and wins a championship one year, comes back next year and dominates the regular season and looks poised to repeat, but then falls short. Obviously I have this year's team in mind. The 2015-2016 Warriors are an example, as are the 2011-2012 Packers.

In college basketball this is rarer given the turnover from year to year, but then I thought about the counter-example, the last repeat champions.

The 2006 Florida Gators were a somewhat unexpected champion in a season defined by dominant #1 seeds, none of whom made the Final Four. Florida actually started that year hot and were undefeated and ranked #2 into January. Then they hit a skid in conference play before rebounding and finishing strong into the Tournament, where they were a #3 seed. Then they romped, winning by 26, 22, 4, 13, 15, and 16. Sound familiar?

They came back in 2007, lost a couple of early games before going on a run and returning to the #1 ranking in January into February. Sound familiar? They ended up losing a few SEC road games before winning the conference tournament and getting a #1 seed before going on to win the championship.

So there is precedent in a very similar pathway to what this program has taken, which culminated in a second championship.

Or we could end up as one of those other teams whose year of dominance ran out before a second crown.
Both teams were coached by a former Big East PG of Irish decent

Reaction Score
I was in a sports bar in Arlington Va. when that happened with my brother in law who went to George Mason. Doesn’t get worse than that.
Dudley’s?

Reaction Score
I watched it at the Vic House in Cheshire. Will never forget it.
There was a whole lot of pissedoffedness in the bar that day.

Reaction Score
Seems like an appropriate time to ask: are we going to be 2007 Florida or 1991 UNLV?

When a team wins a championship, we often hear the lazy cliche about how "they could be even better next year." It's usually laughably wrong. This year, for us, it's actually been true.

The question is: can we carry it all the way to another championship or is this going to be a dominant regular season that falls short of repeating, like many others?
Something i dismissed as nonsense and weird after someone mentioned it at a sportsbar a few years ago but then looked it up and turned out to be true is since the 1992 Dook team no team with 3 or more starting white players has won the national title. If i were superstitious id be worried.

Reaction Score
The fact that this is even being discussed at this time of the year is crazy for DH and his staff. Something JC could never get done as hard as he tried

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom