An Experiment Failed... | The Boneyard

An Experiment Failed...

Reaction Score
I took a shot a joining the Boneyard with the idea in mind that there would be room for another individuals opinions and ideas. Yesterday I posted some replies in the thread:
Louisville beating UConn aint in the CARDS

A number of responses to my thoughts on the Uconn women and Geno had a tone of arrogance and self-righteousness suggesting that my comments were illogical, un-sound, and that I was incapable of knowing the definitions of words in the English language. Nothing in anything I wrote in my commentaries was demagoguery or condescending. My thoughts on the program were just an opinion. I am a avid supporter of Geno and his team. I was born and raised in Connecticut. I do not profess to being an expert on basketball, but at 70 years of age, maybe I have been able to pick up some knowledge, along the way, that others on this board have not.

There is a systemic level of intolerance in our society today and a lack of respect for the opinions of others. You see it everywhere. I thought that might not be the case here. I was wrong. That is sad.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Was everyone suppose to agree with you?
In my experience, people generally complain of being attacked when others don't agree with them.

@SpockLogical This is a discussion board. If people disagree with you, it's not arrogance, it's simply disagreement. Feel free to offer support for your opinion or explain your thoughts. It will also help us get to know you. I hope you hang in there and give it another try.

Reaction Score
I think maybe its not smart to make your first post so fiery or controversial. Maybe if you posted a bit and people got to know you it would be easier. If your first post is so fiery people will think your a troll just looking to start trouble.

Also as mentioned above, its a message board so people are not always going to agree with you.

I dont agree with you that the last two classes are busts. How can you saw that until you let the classes mature? I don't think any of the recent classes are busts. I just disagree with you but I respect your opinion, and would never personally attack you. I hope you keep posting..
Enjoy the game today

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Round 2.

Troll.jpg

Reaction Score
In my experience, people generally complain of being attacked when others don't agree with them.

@SpockLogical This is a discussion board. If people disagree with you, it's not arrogance, it's simply disagreement. Feel free to offer support for your opinion or explain your thoughts. It will also help us get to know you. I hope you hang in there and give it another try.

I don't remember this poster's comments but I have to say there is a degree of arrogance and disdain from certain members of the BY............instead of simply addressing differences in a factual, mature manner, I have noted agitation and insults from certain members............I know that I have read some wacky, wrongheaded posts here but I have never resorted to insulting the poster's intelligence or lack of basketball IQ even if I assume they lack both.........for the most part the BY is a pleasant and welcoming place but if you state an opinion that differs from the majority you can expect quite a barrage...........we're all lucky enough to root for the classiest and most sophisticated team in college basketball..........I would suggest that we all try to emulate those qualities here.........

Reaction Score
I don't remember this poster's comments but I have to say there is a degree of arrogance and disdain from certain members of the BY..instead of simply addressing differences in a factual, mature manner, I have noted agitation and insults from certain members..I know that I have read some wacky, wrongheaded posts here but I have never resorted to insulting the poster's intelligence or lack of basketball IQ even if I assume they lack both....for the most part the BY is a pleasant and welcoming place but if you state an opinion that differs from the majority you can expect quite a barrage......we're all lucky enough to root for the classiest and most sophisticated team in college basketball.....I would suggest that we all try to emulate those qualities here....
I suggest you read the thread in question . It is not that long. In my opinion , it is not an example of the phenomenon you describe .

Reaction Score
I don't remember this poster's comments but I have to say there is a degree of arrogance and disdain from certain members of the BY..instead of simply addressing differences in a factual, mature manner, I have noted agitation and insults from certain members..I know that I have read some wacky, wrongheaded posts here but I have never resorted to insulting the poster's intelligence or lack of basketball IQ even if I assume they lack both....for the most part the BY is a pleasant and welcoming place but if you state an opinion that differs from the majority you can expect quite a barrage......we're all lucky enough to root for the classiest and most sophisticated team in college basketball.....I would suggest that we all try to emulate those qualities here....

Well stated. That's a keeper.
Thank you.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well stated. That's a keeper.
Thank you.
Yes, Charlie nailed it! I just did a similar post on the “Ain’t in the Cards” thread unbeknownst that CBBs comments existed here.

I didn’t say it there but will say it- this zaniness and arrogance is what Geno regularly refers to in press conferences and did as much after the UCF game. THEY WON BY 18!

I do think the mods to a good job of monitoring any personal attacks but the individual poster should be called out in “Reply” when the kookiness goes too far, in a polite fashion of course. Again, virtually all our colleagues love UConn WCBB and have astute and insightful observations, just too much a sense of entitlement at times. Let’s stay humble and gracious and not turn into VolNation...

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I took a shot a joining the Boneyard with the idea in mind that there would be room for another individuals opinions and ideas. Yesterday I posted some replies in the thread:

A number of responses to my thoughts on the Uconn women and Geno had a tone of arrogance and self-righteousness suggesting that my comments were illogical, un-sound, and that I was incapable of knowing the definitions of words in the English language. Nothing in anything I wrote in my commentaries was demagoguery or condescending. My thoughts on the program were just an opinion. I am a avid supporter of Geno and his team. I was born and raised in Connecticut. I do not profess to being an expert on basketball, but at 70 years of age, maybe I have been able to pick up some knowledge, along the way, that others on this board have not.

There is a systemic level of intolerance in our society today and a lack of respect for the opinions of others. You see it everywhere. I thought that might not be the case here. I was wrong. That is sad.

I just re-read the entire thread. Some posters agreed with you, others disagreed. In any event, your posts in that thread prompted some lively discussion, none of which seemed derogatory to me. I don't know what you expected when you posted. Did you expect everybody to agree with you? I could understand your concern if you came under personal attack, but I don't see that happening.

Welcome to the board. Hopefully you will stay and continue to post.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I suggest you read the thread in question . It is not that long. In my opinion , it is not an example of the phenomenon you describe .
I did read it and Stated as much as Charlie did here and it is a pattern of arrogance we see when different opinions are expressed. Mostly the way the opinion gets expressed is what irritates us, as the opinion could/should have been worded or stated differently. However when a zany comment or incorrect fact is given, we all should point it out and our new colleague here deserved the rebuttal received and also needs to develop a thicker skin if they plan on posting really bad facts.
BTW none of the rebuttals I saw were “personal” attacks in nature.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I for one enjoy a good “argument” with fellow BY’ers. Almost everyone who posts on this forum is capable of disagreeing without being disagreeable, often displaying and admirable wit and wisdom in the process.

There is a small handful of posters that make it personal, and that’s unfortunate. I try to reread ever post before I transmit, but I know on occasion I have sent out posts that did not properly convey my message and were not well received. That’s going to happen to everyone on a forum like this from time to time.

Ultimately, regardless of our respective opinions, the Boneyard community is united by a great love and appreciation of WBB and the UConn Huskies.

Reaction Score
Uh...I apologize for causing such a stir with what I thought were rational "opinions:" on my part. I had no expectation one way or another as to what the reactions would be. Nothing I said had anything to do with the so-called "facts" that seem to be written in stone here, and never to be questioned or commented upon. They were my opinions based my current observations of the team, regardless of their current or past record. Now I have been accused by a number of individuals of expecting everyone to agree with me. Apparently the requirement is for new members to lay low and not disagree with anyone or have a personal opinion not in keeping with pre-established facts. Sorry, this is not the place for me. Have fun.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score

I know where he is coming from, and I agree with your approach. Many do not have your approach.. Now, will I be attacked?

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score

Welcome to the good ole boys club.....

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I for one enjoy a good “argument” with fellow BY’ers. Almost everyone who posts on this forum is capable of disagreeing without being disagreeable, often displaying and admirable wit and wisdom in the process.

There is a small handful of posters that make it personal, and that’s unfortunate. I try to reread ever post before I transmit, but I know on occasion I have sent out posts that did not properly convey my message and were not well received. That’s going to happen to everyone on a forum like this from time to time.

Ultimately, regardless of our respective opinions, the Boneyard community is united by a great love and appreciation of WBB and the UConn Huskies.
VERY well said. I've been posting on the BY in various formats (even when it was on other forums and part of scout and other web sites) for many years - maybe 15 or 20 or so. In the past, I would get more fired up and get into more arguments with posters, especially ones who behaved like bullies or are overly combative, and you are correct - there are still a few of them around.

But I tried hard to adopt the laid back "Cali" attitude and be more like a duck (roll off back). For the most part I've succeeded to varying degrees IMHO. It's impossible for everyone to agree. But I think the mods try VERY hard to make this a safe place for people to post facts, opinions, and feelings about our favorite team without being personally attacked. No place is perfect.

The real test, IMHO, will come many years down the road when Geno eventually retires, and the UCONN program comes back to earth as one of many top teams as opposed to the undisputed top program year in and year out...

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Please do not give up so easily. There is a wide spectrum of posters here, and any place that is interesting. I have seen very few truly personal attacks in my time here. Take a bit of time to read what you write, and if it is just what you want to say, then post away. I hope you reconsider your decision. If everyone agreed on everything, it would indeed be a boring place. The BY is certainly interesting and that is why people keep reading and posting.

Reaction Score
It is highly possible that this would be a much more interesting forum if we all taped our mouths shut.
Very interesting concept... Hmmm...

There is that old axiom by Mark Twain:

Better to be silent and thought a fool...
Than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I, for one, remain undecided about where to go from here.
giphy - tape face.gif

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
What does the line through SpockLogical's username mean? It's the first time that I have seen it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

welllll.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom